HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 12:20:48 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 29, 2017  (Read 4814 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 28, 2017, 02:35:48 AM »

Starting this one early since I finished my other list.  There’s plenty here to keep me busy!  I’ll have to start the long Batman journey next week.

Marvel Unlimited
Captain America: Steve Rogers 17 - Secret Empire Tie-In
X-Men: Blue 4
Elektra 4
Infamous Iron-Man 8
Secret Warriors 2 - Secret Empire Tie-In
The Mighty Captain Marvel 5 - Secret Empire Tie-In

ComiXology
Briggs Land: Lone Wolves 5
Briggs Land: Lone Wolves 6
Cable 2
Cable 3
Cable 4
Cable 5
The Defenders 1
The Defenders 2
The Defenders 3
The Defenders 4
The Defenders 5
Red Hood & the Outlaws 12
Red Hood & the Outlaws 13
Red Hood & the Outlaws 14
Red Hood & the Outlaws 15
Red Hood & the Outlaws 16
Red Hood & the Outlaws Annual 1
Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil 1
Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil 2
Wonderland: Down the Rabbit Hole 1
Wonderland: Down the Rabbit Hole 2
Wonderland: Down the Rabbit Hole 3
Wonderland: Down the Rabbit Hole 4
Wonderland: Down the Rabbit Hole 5
Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass 1
Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass 2
Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass 3
Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass 4
Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass 5
Wonderland: Asylum 1
Wonderland: Asylum 2
Wonderland: Asylum 3
Wonderland: Asylum 4
Wonderland: Clash of Queens 1
Wonderland: Clash of Queens 2
Wonderland: Clash of Queens 3
Aquaman Annual 1
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 33
Super Sons Annual 1
Fell TPB Vol 1 - Collects 1-8
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:38:18 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »

Defenders!!  Awesome book!!  And of course, it's written by Bendis who is off to DC.   Angry
Man - I hate that.  The art here is great too.  Well, I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

Marvel Unlimited
Elektra 4
Infamous Iron-Man 8

ComiXology
Cable 2
Cable 3
Cable 4
Cable 5
The Defenders 1
The Defenders 2
The Defenders 3
The Defenders 4
The Defenders 5

Aquaman Annual 1
Super Sons Annual 1

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »

Defenders!!  Awesome book!!  And of course, it's written by Bendis ...

Agree. While my enjoyment of his Miles book has lessened over the past 4 or 5 issues, His Jessica Jones and Defenders has more than made up for it. Constantly good. However, I am now treating them both like a 12 issue maxi-series as I can't even fathom J.Jones being written by any other writer (and yes I am aware that is short-sighted and bordering on ludicrous  Cheesy) and Defenders is almost made to be one anyway (and so much better than it's Netflix cousin).

... who is off to DC.   Angry

Yeah, strange thinking about it, but hey as long as he doesn't end up on a large group book (JSA, JLA, LoSH, etc...) maybe we will find we like his work there. However if his "... one of my reasons for leaving Marvel" pitch is true of walking in the library and seeing that stand-up image of Superman and "being in awe" (or some such) is true, than we can almost rest assured what book he will be on. Or at least one character he will be working with.
 Grin

I got through a few yesterday. Actually, quite a lot for me in just one day  Cheesy -

Incredible Hulk #709
Incredible Hulk #710
- A decent return to Planet Hulk so far. Greg Land art is very ... not Greg Land. That's good.  Grin
Avengers #673 - I am over this book until the Champions x-over is ... over.  Cheesy Will come back at #675 when Avengers goes weekly and is only one book. No more Uncanny, or Secret, or any other prefix attached. My Avengers is now back to being Avengers. At least in title ... I hope it returns to my Avengers glory days.
 Grin

Fu Jitsu #1 - A Johnny Quest'esque book. I would read if I didn't have so much other stuff to read.
Port of Earth #1 - A well structured alien book with the same "I would read but ..." caveat as above
Ninja-K #1 - Ummm ... Not really into this so far. Sadly. The art is too heavy. Like a "Savage Sword of Conan" magazine but with color. NOt that it is "bad", but just doesn't fit a sleek, "ninja" type of book. Characters are too heavy drawn with a thick pencil style.
The story is okay, plot wise, but ... damn it ... I remember really enjoying Christos Gage's District-X book back in the day and I was excited to see his name attached to this, but the dialog and pacing is just off in this so far. Either Gage has went away from his older style or my tastes have changed ... or both? Either way, I am on for at least two more issues, but yeah, kinda let down here.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »

Didn't realize I didn't have the complete mini's so I grabbed them (thankfully they were free on ComiXology) and adding them to my list.

Wonderland: Asylum 5
Wonderland: Clash of Queens 4
Wonderland: Clash of Queens 5

Fortunately these Wonderland stories read really fast.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:48:08 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
Elektra 4
Infamous Iron-Man 8

ComiXology
Cable 2
Cable 3
Cable 4
Cable 5
The Defenders 1
The Defenders 2
The Defenders 3
The Defenders 4
The Defenders 5

Aquaman Annual 1
Super Sons Annual 1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »

Finished my list on Friday!  Shocked

Looks like I need to add some more.   Grin

Marvel Unlimited
Elektra 4
Infamous Iron-Man 8

ComiXology
Cable 2
Cable 3
Cable 4
Cable 5
The Defenders 1
The Defenders 2
The Defenders 3
The Defenders 4
The Defenders 5
Aquaman Annual 1
Super Sons Annual 1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »

I have this week off from work because I have left over vacation days I have to burn or lose.  Gonna be nice having a week to myself so I’m going to add a new list for this week.

ComiXology
Batman 25
Batman 26
Batman 27
Batman 28
Batman 29
Batman 30
Batman 31
Batman 32
Batman 33
Batman Annual 2
Batman 34
Batman 35
Birthright 27
Black Science 32
Copperhead 15
Descender 25
The Dying and The Dead 6
Invincible 141
Kill or Be Killed 13
Lazarus X+66 #4
Saga 48
Walking Dead 173
Wonderland 1
Wonderland 2
Wonderland 3
Wonderland 4
Wonderland 5
Wonderland 6
Wonderland 7
Wonderland 8
Wonderland 9
Wonderland 10
Wonderland 11
Wonderland 12
The Woods 35
The Woods 36 - Series final issue

« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:27:50 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »

Saw on twitter that Godcowski is coming back to Copperhead's art duties so I am jumping back on that again. He will be switching off and on with current artist is what Jay told me. Still good news

EDIT - and oh yeah, forgot -

Batman Annual #2

Grin
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:19:39 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:27 AM »

Damn, that is some reading boys!!! Looks like I'll have to chime in from the last few weeks.

To say (too lazy for the Red Editing tonight; everything here I'll have read!)

Deluxe HCs!!!!
-Rai
-4001 AD (okay, half way done)
It took me some time to warm up a bit with 'Rai.' I think I felt more depressed that Father and New Japan had been ruling unopposed over earth for nearly 2000 years...made me think that that all the work our current heroes had done would be for utter naught with that kind of control, ya knoW? That said, I've really enjoyed reading through this, and man, 'Bloodshot 4001AD' was damn near heart breaking!!!

Captain Marvel (2002) 9-25 (2nd volume) Rereading this again was really hard. If you didn't read the end of it, Genis goes on a time travel trip at the end, trying to find out how Rick's wife Marlo ends up dying in a far flung future. During this time, Genis keeps coming across his son in every eon forward he travels. His son, Eli, grows up to come to hate his father, because much of the future ruin of earth can be attributed to Genis. If Eli and Genis battle, all of reality will end etc etc....so Genis makes the decision, knowing he can cross all through his own time and history, to smother his infant son in his sleep to stop Eli from growing up to be this evil. The arc had started, and much of this volume, with discussion of evil, and how to end it or stop it. Obviously, the ages old question of 'Would you kill Hitler as a baby?' was very prominent in this volume.

And that's what Genis did. And seeing those last few pages....of a gurgling little boy happy to see daddy come into his room, and the final panels are a large hand coming to close the baby's vision...then blackness...I damn near lost it reading it. I was just going to weep and weep for Genis Vell. Knowing the love and affinity and 'do anything for my baby' feelings I have now as a new father...I can't even fathom this occurrence. But Genis stopped the ending of everything for doing it. That's..right...right? That's what PAD really made you ask again and again in this writing.

Going away from that, I continued my trek through Wolverine.

Wolverine comics from 2012 to his death are some of the damned worst things I've ever read. Just damned garbage. Paul Cornell and his stories of nanite community viruses from another dimension coming to earth to peacefully take over, but take away Logan's healing factor, and everything Logan lives through until he dies was just horseshit. His death was a mercy killing... and the manner of his death? to an old character believed long dead or gone as some phantom puppet master for a 4 story arc? Who cares? Couldn't make a reader go 'yeah, that was good!' at all.

Deadpool (2012) 21-38: I know I complained at the beginning of this volume, but damn, Duggan and Posehn have brought some heavy elements into Wade's life. This is what I wanted to read-show me substance to this character's life. They go and take Wade to a dark place...and Wade in a dark place is a dangerous, dangerous man. Loved it. Been very happy reading this volume now!!

Current stuff:

Ultimates2 #7 -PERRY!!! I remember you complaining about this artist!! There is no reason this book should avhe been published with this dogshit art/artist!!! I would never, ever pay money for this!!!

X-men Gold 4 -OoOOoOOoo Gambit...eh, so what. Some kind of nanite/golem/sentinel story. Not sitting impressed or really wanting to follow. Just doing so to do so.

Secret Empire 2-ok, I think I'm SE'ed out between this, Captain America, US Avengers, and Ultimates2. And we've barely gotten into this! I'm so depressed reading this.

Luke Cage 1- I dig it. Walker keeps writing, I keep reading.

Generation X 1- the problem with this is the feeling, which is is true, of the X-men 'starting all over again with the mansion and teaching' shtick YET ANOTHER TIME IN 3 YEARS. It's so tired, and I feel like it's the only thing we ever read from 1 of 9 X-men comics every other year.

US Avengers 6- this book's theme and intersting course of direction under Roberto de Costa and his AIM Avengers have been ruined for me. I quit. Sad

Mighty Thor 19- HELLS YEAH, KEEP WRITING JASON AARON! THOR AND ODINSON TOGETHER V PHOENIX AND SHIAR!!!

Scarlet Spider 2 - At least the book has Kaine. Still trying to see what kind of person PAD is trying to write in the Ben Reilly character. A sociopath? A psychopath? A fallen angel trying to find redemption? Or just some scumbug trying to figure out what to do since he's at the bottom of the barrel? Until Reilly's character makes sense, this book doesn't. But Kaine is good, and hell yeah to Bagley drawing an adult Spider-man again!

X-men Blue 2 And the not asked for, expected, or even well received
appearance of alternate world son of Logan.
 WHAT THE FUG MARVEL

Infamous Iron Man 8 - Been really enjoying this book! All the way up to and until the appearance of a Sorceror Supreme. Sad

Steve Rogers Captain Hydra 17 - Ugh. the interview with the reporter. Silenced media, can't tell me what truth is because you want it to be truth blah blah blah...

totally awesome Hulk 19- oh, this is how Weapon H eventually gets made? Ugh...I may be done with this book very soon too.!!

Crap, my huge pile of DC floppies is in the other room....to be continued later!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »

At this rate I may not have anything left on my Wish List soon.

ComiXology
Batman 25
Batman 26
Batman 27
Batman 28
Batman 29
Batman 30
Batman 31
Batman 32
Batman 33
Batman Annual 2
Batman 34
Batman 35
Birthright 27
Black Science 32
Copperhead 15
Descender 25
The Dying and The Dead 6
Invincible 141
Kill or Be Killed 13
Lazarus X+66 #4
Saga 48
Walking Dead 173
Wonderland 1
Wonderland 2
Wonderland 3
Wonderland 4
Wonderland 5
Wonderland 6
Wonderland 7
Wonderland 8
Wonderland 9
Wonderland 10
Wonderland 11
Wonderland 12
The Woods 35
The Woods 36 - Series final issue

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »

Got in a few more under the wire over the last two days to go along with :

Batman Annual #2

Incredible Hulk #709
Incredible Hulk #710

Avengers #673

Fu Jitsu #1
Port of Earth #1
Ninja-K #1

And now, to finish the week -

Aquaman #30 - The story continues and it is still okay. Nothing great, but okay
Aquaman Annual #1 - Could not get past page 3 of this. Horrible, horrible art. WTF??
Batman #34
Batman #35
- A very well written couple issues. Can Tom King be turning his Batman around? I say it is very possible as I have enjoyed the last few issues and I am not ... NOT a fan of those two characters getting together. Innocent or not. Though that does help of course.

Also started a Humanoids comic called Carthago. Man, this looks good and the story, though similar, is pretty cool too. Saw this on COmixology during their Black Friday Sale. Decided to check it out as I have read Christophe Bec before with the French company Delcourt Comics and enjoyed him. If this is still on sale, check it out. 5 part mini-series, 60 pages each of ... fun?  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS