HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:38:53 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 15, 2017  (Read 3978 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 16, 2017, 09:37:26 PM »

I'm taking tomorrow and next week off from work.  That should mean lot's of reading!

Also - found a lot of "current" Marvel on ComiXology for free so grabbed them since they aren't on Marvel Unlimited yet.

ComiXology
Adventure Comics 462 - Death of Earth 2 Batman
Adventure Comics 463
Adventure Comics 464
Adventure Comics 465
Adventure Comics 466
All New Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Aquaman 30
Black Bolt 2
Black Bolt 3
Black Magick 6
Black Magick 7
Black Magick 8
Dark Nights: The Batman Who Laughs
Detective Comics (1937) # 34
Detective Comics (1937) # 35
Detective Comics (1937) # 36
Detective Comics (1937) # 37
Detective Comics (1937) # 38
Generation X 2
Generation X 3
Generation X 4
Generation X 5
Generation X 6
Jean Grey 2
Jean Grey 3
Jean Grey 4
Jean Grey 5
Jean Grey 6
Jean Grey 7
Jessica Jones 1
Jessica Jones 2
Jessica Jones 3
Justice League 33
Royals 3
Super Sons 10
House of Liddle TPB Vol 1 (continuation of the Wonderland stories)
Call of Wonderland TPB Vol 1
Madness of Wonderland TPB Vol 1

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:39:56 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 01:19:17 PM »

It had been a while since buying comics of any kind, so I got from Instock trades:

Rai Deluxe Ultimate Collection
4001 AD Ultimate Collection

I know I want to do more Valiant digital...but I get addicted to the deluxe hardcovers!!!! Harbinger DUC was out of print and stock, so I had no problem doing digital with that. But all my Ninjak, Bloodshot, Ivar, Imperium, Divinity are all in trade, so switching over to pure digital for this company....is SO hard!!

Been no problem for Marvel. 6 months behind? Doesn't bother me in the slightest! And I only buy Thor in trade currently.

DC? that's going to be rougher. I like being current on my DC. Stuff like Batman, which I like, but don't have a collector's desire for, that I can do digital (re: Detective, and probably Red Hood upcoming, and even the Metal one-shots as well), but my Supes stuff? Aquaman? Wonder Woman? I can't quit them....yet. Wink

And I"ve done a TONN of Deadpool and Wolverine reading. Mucho thoughts later.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »

Sad to say, but comics are becoming the last item on my list anymore, or at least seems that way. I am even getting to the point where I am handing Dave back most of his runs and telling him to slow down on what he brings me. I am just not reading much anymore.

Not sure why. I still enjoy the medium but just seems I am either too busy, more into something else at the time or too tired to read at night in-which case I don't even try or I fall asleep with them in my hands. Got a couple in the last two/three days at least.

Batman #33 - Decent, but still not Batman.

Thanos #12 - Last Lemire issue and an okay end to the story that we knew was going to end this way.

Astro City #1
Astro City #2 (first ongoing after mini-series)
- Decent "heroes are super" type of comic

Going to try ... ha, TRY and get through the following this week, but I don't see me finishing all these nor staying focused long enough to not read something else.
 Grin

Batman #34
Batman #35

Astonishing X-Men #5
Captain America #695
Incredible Hulk #710
Iron Fist #74
Master of Kung Fu #126
Moon Knight #188

The Realm #2
The Realm #3

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:22:01 AM »

Perry!!

You're finally reading Astro City!! Grin

Toldja it's good to read.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:45:28 AM »

Amazing Spider-man 27 Another issue that I've read. Peter Parker continues to be a moron, not realizing what his actions do to the international stage.

Old Man Logan 23 About time some actual plot starts to shine through. OML finally gets an idea to aid his future self. Duh.

Uncanny Avengers 23 Heh. Cool stuff! Love the return of Wonder Man (absolutley forgot that Rogue essentially had absorbed him. Love how that guy lives and dies and transforms all the time.Smiley

Kingpin 4 I still really enjoy this mini. Based off what I know about upcoming plots, I look forward to the continuation of this character presentation for a while!

X-men blue 3 Nothing that is really jumping out to me with this title still. No interest in these characters through this new title.

Weapon X 3 Like I've said, I enjoy the clandestine history of Weapon X (it's like the Umbrella Corp from Resident Evil!!), and so far, I still really enjoy the take that is..um..taken in this book.

Classic Reading

Wolverine 310-317 (2012) : Ugh, just f***ing ugh. Jeph Loeb brings back the Romulus character, and makes his twin sister..Remus...ugh! UGH!! More of the shitty ret-ret-ret-ret conning of Logan's Weapon X experiment-HE ordered it! He was the master planner the entire time! REALLY?! Give me a f***ing break. This is just a horribly done new 'GOTCHA!' moment by a writer who really didn't do much in way of a story here.

That was the 4 issues; the last 4 issues were simply an adventure story of Logan showing some heart and not killing some powerful figure back when he was a lost soul and agent of assassination. It was a simple story, so it was just nice to see Pelletier art, to be honest. After that...

Wolverine 1-13 (2012) NOW! Join the Revolution volume is what this is. Paul Cornel, and lots of Alan Davis through this. Mostly...poor. This runs for 13 issues, then gets restarted after issue 13 for a NEW new #1 with the same writer in 2014 with Stegman on art. For this arc,the first part wasn't terrible interesting story wise-intelligent viruses, living only to make all the same and healthy and sterile are the antagonists. They somehow sterilize Wolverine's healing factor, and he goes around, afraid to die.

It's funny, Deadpool has an appearance by Wolverine, and discusses how this story just happened to him. It did, too! LOL

So, after that is revealed, Logan is put through a gauntlet, to only end with Sabretooth scouring Logan's soul with his actions of hypocrisy which breaks Logan's character.

In being fair, I've actually really enjoyed reading Cornell's presentation of Logan's character and interactions. That's been cool! The stories themselves? Eh....But the character was at least better than he's been the 3-4 years before this!!

Deadpool 57-63 (2008) Well, that's the end of Way...good! This was the arc stuff of DP losing his healing factor, and dealing with it. It was neat reading Way's afterword that Marvel let him do whatever he really wanted, mostly unhindered, since DP 'wasn't selling, and no one was really reading him.' LOL, how did that change?!! But, he did finish with an arc that was interesting about DP taking his life back, and for that, I enjoyed it. Then...

Deadpool 1-20 (20012) NOW! Join the Revolution volume with Duggan and comedian Brian Posehn writing. The first arc I damn near couldn't stand. There was almost no art, with so much just inane language and writing everywhere I found it unreadable.

Then something happened...it got interesting! With random 'flashback' issues to different eras of comic style writing, that had big effects in the current time, to seeing Wade come back in strong personality, showing he's not only just a jokester, has hit with some big personality impact when dealing with Wade's personal history (not so much DP's history, but Wade's history). It was here that they were able to make Wade dangerous...kind of scary dangerous, if I'm being honest. Glad to be reading now!!!

Captain Marvel 19-25 (2000), and 1-6 (2002) Unlimited doesn't have that first volume going up to issue 35 dammit!! I have to go back and read my physical copies!!

I love PAD on Genis Vell here. Like I said, I read this stuff again and again and again and again!!! This all began 17 years ago (longer than that, if you consider this version of Genis first showed up in AVengers Forever first), but man, I love LOVE to reread this!!! Just my favorite stuff!!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:11:31 AM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 04:08:23 AM »

Sad to say, but comics are becoming the last item on my list anymore, or at least seems that way. I am even getting to the point where I am handing Dave back most of his runs and telling him to slow down on what he brings me. I am just not reading much anymore.

Same thing happened to me but I fixed it accidentally when I cut down the list of things I’m reading.  Suddenly I was able to start beating down my backlist because I’m reading more than I’m adding.  I’ll be caught up by Christmas and then only new stuff will be coming in and it’s a smaller list of my must haves.  Usually EASY to read things I love to read instead of just ok to read stuff.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »

Perry!!

You're finally reading Astro City!! Grin

Toldja it's good to read.

Grin
Yeah, I started/finshed the first run (6 issue mini) a few weeks back and have been slowly trying to tackle the subsequent runs. And I mean slowly. I will get there. Someday.

And yes, well worth the time  Cool (although I am liking this "ongoing" a tad more so far due to a lighter pencil and/or pen hand. Not as dark around the characters, overall, I think)

Same thing happened to me but I fixed it accidentally when I cut down the list of things I’m reading.  Suddenly I was able to start beating down my backlist because I’m reading more than I’m adding.  I’ll be caught up by Christmas and then only new stuff will be coming in and it’s a smaller list of my must haves.  Usually EASY to read things I love to read instead of just ok to read stuff.

Seems logical and sound.  Smiley Wish I could get there.

Part of the issue for me is Marvel's art (and some of DC's honestly). Just dragging me down on books I really want to read (Master of Kung Fu #126 legacy one-shot for the latest example). Not only taking time away from other books I want to read, but putting me in such a sour mood that I don't want to read another comic for a few hours ... or days even.

Or writing so damn off (Batman issues ... ANY of Tom Kings for another prime example) that the same apathetic effect is had. Or worse, writing so humdrum (Any X-Book not named Astonishing for instance ... don't read Weapon X anymore, so not counting that one Jimbo  Wink)  that I feel like I am just flipping pages, looking at colors more than I am reading comics.

Plus, now with Bendis leaving, some of my really good books will be turned over to whom exactly? Who will take the reigns on Jessica Jones? Bendis hinted "She" is one of his favorites, but I am not overly fond of female writers, so I am leery with that one. What about Defenders? Not so great Netflix show, but really fun book. Is that one now dead for me? And Iron Man? Who the heck is taking that over? And who will be the artists on all these?
Bah!!!

Guess I will just try and stick with Jason Aaron (Thor), his friend Donny Cates (Dr. Strange and Thanos), Mark Waid (Captain America and Avengers)books and of course whomever is writing Moon Knight.
 Grin

I will be okay, I just, like you said, need to get a little more organized and start reading the books that satisfy me more than wasting time on those that don't. And stop trying to find more reading options. I am not enjoying what I think I should be enjoying so instead of just enjoying the ones I do, I am searching other alternatives ... piling up my list instead of just reading what I enjoy. Start small, damn it.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:34 AM »

Didn’t make a lot of progress this week.  Vacation seems to actually have less time for reading than I would think.

ComiXology
Adventure Comics 462 - Death of Earth 2 Batman
Adventure Comics 463

Adventure Comics 464
Adventure Comics 465
Adventure Comics 466
All New Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Aquaman 30
Black Bolt 2
Black Bolt 3

Black Magick 6
Black Magick 7
Black Magick 8
Dark Nights: The Batman Who Laughs
Detective Comics (1937) # 34
Detective Comics (1937) # 35
Detective Comics (1937) # 36
Detective Comics (1937) # 37
Detective Comics (1937) # 38
Generation X 2
Generation X 3
Generation X 4
Generation X 5
Generation X 6

Jean Grey 2
Jean Grey 3
Jean Grey 4
Jean Grey 5
Jean Grey 6
Jean Grey 7
Jessica Jones 1
Jessica Jones 2
Jessica Jones 3
Justice League 33
Royals 3
Super Sons 10
House of Liddle TPB Vol 1 (continuation of the Wonderland stories)
Call of Wonderland TPB Vol 1
Madness of Wonderland TPB Vol 1

Gonna have to roll the rest of these over to next week.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:47:50 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:07:27 AM »

Was able to get a couple more in ... added a couple I didn't have originally, of course.  Grin

Batman #33
Thanos #12
Astro City #1
Astro City #2

Captain America #695
Iron Fist #74
Master of Kung Fu #126
- Just couldn't get into this due to the art. Not horrible, just not for me
Moon Knight #188 - Really dug this new character shown here
Not Brand Echhh #14 - Goofy, but loved the way they slammed Secret Empire
Doctor Strange #381 - And really loved this one. Art by Vision artist ... whose name I just forgot, but yeah, this first Donny Cates issue was worth it, even though it is a typical "first" issue.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS