HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:51:54 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Going under the knife  (Read 8042 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« on: November 07, 2017, 03:18:51 AM »

so as age continues to catch up with me, and due to my determination to rebuild our privacy fence myself instead of paying someone to come do it, I have riled up what was once mild carpal tunnel syndrome into raging fires of hell carpal tunnel syndrome.  So, come Wednesday morning, i will be undergoing carpal tunnel surgery.  I will be out of work for up to 4 weeks. 

Glorious.
Weeks.

I can finally catch up on my DVR and my reading.  I can finally spend some time with the family and perhaps catch up a little bit more with you guys here.

But, yeah....surgery.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 02:58:25 PM »

Best of luck to you, buddy.

My wife had it done a few years ago.
I asked if it helped her and her response was "meh" so hope it works better for you. Also hope you don't have to have it redone as the band they cut can still become inflamed at times. But maybe the procedure is better now too, ya know, advancements in medicine and all.
 Smiley

But hey, in an effort to turn this back around (and escape the dark cloud I may have thrown over this post  Cheesy) 4 weeks off is the true win here. Let's not forget that.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »

Good luck on the surgery.

I’m looking forward to your posting during this time though I’m not sure how your going to type.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »

Good luck, take care, and listen and follow all the advice for your care!

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 03:57:21 AM »

Best of luck to you, buddy.

My wife had it done a few years ago.
I asked if it helped her and her response was "meh" so hope it works better for you. Also hope you don't have to have it redone as the band they cut can still become inflamed at times. But maybe the procedure is better now too, ya know, advancements in medicine and all.
 Smiley

But hey, in an effort to turn this back around (and escape the dark cloud I may have thrown over this post  Cheesy) 4 weeks off is the true win here. Let's not forget that.
 Cheesy

when i am being woken up 3-4 nights a week, 3-4 times each of those nights with my hand burning and throbbing, i'll take my chances.  Plus, being in the medical field, it pays to know people who know people (for example, the radiologist i work with knowing the best hand surgeon in the state.  no lie, he texted him about me when i told him what was going on and he replied back in less than 2 minutes asking if i could come to his office right now.)

that being said, i'm finally starting to get a little nervous about it all.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »

Oh no, don't be nervous. It is absolutely worth doing. I am sorry if my negative post led you to think I was blasting the surgery. The wife was absolutely better for having done it, I think she thought she would be "back to normal" and while she is not, she is still better than she was. Especially with the pain factor.

I just wanted you to know, and did a piss poor job of doing so, that it will not be an "end all, be all" type of solution.

Your life will be 100% better, but you will, probably, still have issues with your hands here and there. A fine example of that just happened; my wife had to take care of a friends dogs this past week-end and couldn't get in. She had to go over and let them out and all of that dog watching stuff  Grin, but one time she called me asking me to come over to their house as she couldn't get the key turned to get inside, so I drove over and turned the key with little issue. The door jam swells a little it seems so you have to pull the door a little before turning the deadbolt, but she didn't have the strength to turn the key ... and trust me, it wasn't THAT hard.

Her hands are just not as strong as they once were.

That is not to say your hand(s) will be the same, and even if it/they is/are it is worth getting rid of the pain involved. For sure. Again, just didn't want you to have visions of perfection.

Sorry if I sounded to negative, I do wish you the best, and I know you will be happier with the outcome than you are now.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »

I'm late to reading this so I guess the surgery already happened.

I hope and pray that it worked out. Please, enjoy the next 4 weeks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS