HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:13:32 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader, November 1, 2017  (Read 8832 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: November 01, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

Catching up on Deathstroke and New Super-Man this week and will start getting those in "real time".   Grin

Also - I bought all the Wonderland Trades/Issues years ago as part of my first purchases on Comixology.  Kind of tired of seeing them sitting in my Library so I'm gonna start digging through those.  Hopefully they are good.   Grin

Marvel Unlimited
Elektra 3
Hulk 5
Infamous Iron Man 7
Mighty Thor 18
Old Man Logan 22
Star Wars:  Darth Maul 3
Thanos 6
Ultimates 2 #6
Weapon X 2
X-Men: Blue 2
X-Men: Gold 2

Comixology
Alex + Alda TPB Vol 1 - Collects issues 1-5
Alice In Wonderland TPB Vol 1 - Collects issues 1-6
Return to Wonderland TPB Vol 1 - Collects issues 0-6
Black Magic Free Preview
Black Monday Murders 7
Batman: The Devastator 1
Justice League 32 - Dark Nights Tie-In
Lazarus X+66 #3
Quantum & Woody! #0.0001 1/2
Redneck 6
Saga 47
Southern Bastards 18
Walking Dead 172
Deathstroke 21
Deathstroke 22
Deathstroke 23
Deathstroke 24
Deathstroke 25
New Super-Man 13
New Super-Man 14
New Super-Man 15
New Super-Man 16

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:19:38 PM »

Also - I bought all the Wonderland Trades/Issues years ago as part of my first purchases on Comixology.  Kind of tired of seeing them sitting in my Library so I'm gonna start digging through those.  Hopefully they are good.   Grin

If you are talking about the Zenescope series, I just got a bunch of those myself, along with their "OZ" series. I hear that these are the two best (although a bunch of chicks at one of the LCS' around here likes the Robyn Hood ones) but even still, I hear, some the older stuff can be a little rough at times, but OZ and Wonderland are the safest bets.

Still have Evil Heroes to read ... and Death Force as well.

Yep, I got time for all this.

If you are not talking about Zenescope ... then ... What'chu talking 'bout, Willis Jeff?
 Cheesy
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 01:49:44 AM »

These are all the things I've read. Sorry that it won't be in 'red', but limited time for me!!!

DC:
The Drowned: Decent one shot issues. I enjoyed the reading of it. I'm also beginning to believe that I SHOULD read all the tie in Metal Knights issues, as I feel I got a better view into this dark multiverse and what is actually going on in the Metal series!!

Super Sons 9 : Did I mention this? If not, I just want to say that Jon probably got the biggest spotlight speech that he has in the entire series, and well, he's definitely a Superman's son. Smiley

Mr. Miracle 3: See, remember me talking about how I'm not sure anyone can do anything with the New Gods that I wouldn't view as just doing a retread over all other prior stories, because no one wants to muddle Kirby's work? Yeah, that's not happening here! I"m enthralled!!

Rebels 6 & 7: I keep thinking, seeing the covers, that 'oh yeah, these are nice. Glad its being made. Naw, I think I'm done.' Then i read the issues I've bought, and then I think I'm very glad I bought these to read these!! I wish there was more afterwords from Brian Wood discussing his writing of these issues.

Unlimited

Weapon X 2: You know, I think I'm a bit of a sucker for the history characters related to Weapon X, to Wolverine's sordid bloody past. Hell, that was essentially what Uncanny X-force all was! That said, I really enjoy reading through these 2 issues. And you know what? I haven't even notice Greg Land's repetitiveness!!  Cheesy

Ultimates2 6- Oh good lord, I love this ridic cosmic stuff. Great job Ewing!  Brashear and Monica's power team up was just the best!

X-men Blue 2: Meh. Or 'eh.' Nothing I thought was great, or hell, even that interesting happening here. Hell, I think I love Magneto's plan best. Make it happen, Marvel!!!

Thanos 6 : I'm still very not-interested in Thane as a son of Thanos. That said, I really enjoy reading this book each month!!

Infamous Iron Man 7: Each issue really makes me intrigued. What is the angle of Doom? What is going on with him, and around him? This series (pretends) to offer me real change and a difference in the character that 'I believe could last.' The sad thing is, is that I know it won't. It almost does sour how I feel about the run and it's direction then.  Undecided

Hulk 5 - what a piece of shit. what a waste of time. I will read the next issue, as it finishes this arc, but this is just worthless. This writer has not offered an amazing analysis of Jen's pysche, deep writing to make me feel her pain and sadness. This has just gone on and one without, well, any individual payoff in any single issue. Waste of everyone's f***Ing time.

Old Man Logan 22: speaking of wasting time; this Past Lives arc. There is no brilliance of writing, no new analysis of events occurred, no insight that makes me think, just ...panels. That's all this story is so far. Just panels of art occurring. Even the art doesn't make happy in the 4 minutes it takes to read this. If I was a paying customer, I was feeling ambivalent to the book in the prior arc, and this arc would make me drop the book, as there would be no way I'd pay a discounted $3.99 for this.

Mighty Thor 18: YEAH!!! Aaron is awesome on Thor!!! I so gotta find this mystical time to go back to Thor, God of Thunder and read this from Godbomb back to this point all over again!!

Scarlet Spider 1 - I can say I read it. That's about it. Rather like the last Amazing Spider-man issue. Gonna say it, the Spider franchise is in a poor place right now.

X-men Gold 2 : I can't tell if the theme of the book is too on the nose with what's going on in the USA right now, or if it's about time to get back to this familiar theme of the X-men-or if it's just a retread again of a familiar theme of the X-men. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 01:51:46 AM »

And oh yeah:

3 various issues of Deadpool Team up "899-878"-absolute fucking garbage. Not funny, not interesting, not good, not worth turning pages. This was...2011, I think, and man, it's getting closer and closer to the times I think that Deadpool is just over. I'm trying to finish the 'main' DP title, with writing by Daniel Way, but that's damn awful too.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 02:53:47 AM »

If you are not talking about Zenescope ... then ... What'chu talking 'bout, Willis Jeff?
 Cheesy
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yep. That be what I’m talkin’ about!  Smiley

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 02:59:48 AM »

I’m almost done with the Unlimited stuff then I’ll come back and add to Jimmy’s comments.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »

I tried that Hulk, Jimmy. Just not even interesting in the slightest. Boring as hell and NOT because of the subject or subject matter. It just didn't read well.

Hell, I am not even interested in finding out if this is interesting to any of the female readers. I say that as the female readers I know tend to follow and enjoy the "voice" of female writers on more occasions than I do. Especially when it is a female character. Yes I know that is a bad thing to imply ... that female writers can only write female characters ... but I am NOT IMPLYING THAT!!!!
 Angry
(Or maybe, grammatically I am, but that is not what I meant)
 Cheesy

Yes, sorry, female writers dotend to write differently for me. But that is all it is. Different. And it is not all the time and I am not ... I REPEAT NOT saying that their writing is less worthy of praise OR in any way, shape or form less enjoyable to most nor am I saying their books are not written as well or they are "doing it wrong". I am just saying, again, just for me, that I tend to relate and thus enjoy the male voice more than the female writers voice ... most of the time.

That is not to say female writers have not pulled me in and that is not to say that I don't enjoy female writers. They have and I do. But it usually, more often than not, their take hits me a different way. I can't explain it. But here we have yet another female writer who just does nothing for me on a character I really do enjoy. And that is sad.

Man, also sad I have to try (and fail  Cheesy) to clarify a feeling, but this day and age you say anything like I did and you get rocks thrown at you as being sexist or some shit.
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »

Lol. Man that was painful to read!

It’s ok to say men and women are different.  We are.  Wink

And thank God we are. What boring world it would be if we were all the same.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 05:54:05 PM »

Lol. Man that was painful to read!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I know, right?  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ridiculous statement and incoherent writing combines to form the perfect "WTF?" moment. My brain, on Morphine. It is a terrible thing

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 03:59:28 AM »

Off to a fast start!

Marvel Unlimited
Elektra 3
Hulk 5
Infamous Iron Man 7
Mighty Thor 18
Old Man Logan 22
Star Wars:  Darth Maul 3
Thanos 6
Ultimates 2 #6
Weapon X 2
X-Men: Blue 2
X-Men: Gold 2

Comixology
Alex + Alda TPB Vol 1 - Collects issues 1-5
Alice In Wonderland TPB Vol 1 - Collects issues 1-6
Return to Wonderland TPB Vol 1 - Collects issues 0-6
Black Magic Free Preview
Black Monday Murders 7
Batman: The Devastator 1
Justice League 32 - Dark Nights Tie-In

Lazarus X+66 #3
Quantum & Woody! #0.0001 1/2
Redneck 6
Saga 47
Southern Bastards 18
Walking Dead 172

Deathstroke 21
Deathstroke 22
Deathstroke 23
Deathstroke 24
Deathstroke 25
New Super-Man 13
New Super-Man 14
New Super-Man 15
New Super-Man 16

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08:51 PM »

It's been two days -

Thor: Where Walk the Frost Giants - One-Shot

Aquaman #29
Redhood and the Outlaws #15
(Last issue for me)

Yep, knocking them out, huh?
 Roll Eyes

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 01:54:42 PM »

Yep, knocking them out, huh?
 Roll Eyes

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 10:37:00 PM »

I tried that Hulk, Jimmy. Just not even interesting in the slightest. Boring as hell and NOT because of the subject or subject matter. It just didn't read well.

Hell, I am not even interested in finding out if this is interesting to any of the female readers. I say that as the female readers I know tend to follow and enjoy the "voice" of female writers on more occasions than I do. Especially when it is a female character. Yes I know that is a bad thing to imply ... that female writers can only write female characters ... but I am NOT IMPLYING THAT!!!!
 Angry
(Or maybe, grammatically I am, but that is not what I meant)
 Cheesy

Yes, sorry, female writers dotend to write differently for me. But that is all it is. Different. And it is not all the time and I am not ... I REPEAT NOT saying that their writing is less worthy of praise OR in any way, shape or form less enjoyable to most nor am I saying their books are not written as well or they are "doing it wrong". I am just saying, again, just for me, that I tend to relate and thus enjoy the male voice more than the female writers voice ... most of the time.

That is not to say female writers have not pulled me in and that is not to say that I don't enjoy female writers. They have and I do. But it usually, more often than not, their take hits me a different way. I can't explain it. But here we have yet another female writer who just does nothing for me on a character I really do enjoy. And that is sad.

Man, also sad I have to try (and fail  Cheesy) to clarify a feeling, but this day and age you say anything like I did and you get rocks thrown at you as being sexist or some shit.
 Angry

Slightly hard to read; yes!  Cheesy

I don't feel you have to apologize that much.

There are great-and most certainly crappy-women and men writers.

This writer, which I've mostly forgotten was a woman, simply isn't tell a tell that interesting, captivating, moving, or enlightening. It's generous if I call it 'pedestrien'.

I've called Bendis, and Slott, and yes, even Aaron, fall worse.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 10:46:42 PM »

Classic MU reading:

Wolverine (2010) 9-21/300-308 -How can Jason Aaron be so damned awesome on Thor, but write some of the dumbest, worthless shit on this Wolverine? This was Wolverine in Hell, getting out, trying to find revenge on Mystique, going to China, fighting her, Sabretooth (how the hell did he get out of Hell? He was just 9 issues ago?!! WTF?), the new Silver Samurai, coming back to the US, doing an underworld adventure with Gorilla man through a poppy field the size of Australia, fighting Chinese dragons. Just awful. Not good, ridiculous, and frankly, stupid to read. Now, in the middle of this, with the revenge arc, a really cool story happened with a group of people who have lost people to Logan's murdering ways through his history. They planned a revenge. A cool revenge. They assembled a group of people-they dubbed the Mongrels-that Logan had to fight his way through to get to the main cabal. But, the cabal denied Logan his revenge by taking poison laced wine. But, they left a video for Logan-detailing that all the Mongrels were Logan's illegimate children from over the years-and that he had just killed them all!!!

DAMN! What a moment!

They spent 2 issues on Logan's misery about that, then the X line 'Regenesis' occurred, and it all went away. DAMMIT.

Aaron's work ended, then Cullen Bunn came in for a small arc involved Dr. Rot-and it was a disgusting, revolting arc to read of gore, dismemberment, filthy blood and cutting on people. Paul Pelletier illustrated it, and frankly, I'm in utter disgust about the whole of it. That, and it brought back, yet again, that Weapon X has more buried commands in Logan's brain 'that no one has ever realized.'

Boring. This title launch came out after Wolverine: Origins, where Logan went through a character arc where all that nagging bullshit could be put to rest. Nope, never mind, it's all been reset and being plowed through again here. That wheel didn't even make one full turn before they started pitching it again!

I understand why there was a 'Death of Wolverine' arc. It wasn't an effort to kill his character-all the previous writers up to that point are clearly doing that with their storylines abuse of Logan. (circa June 2012)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 10:54:40 PM »

Classic MU Reading

Deadpool 50-56 : Ah, an arc again! On and about character! I can understand for sure at this point why fans wanted Daniel Way off DP. The 2 internal personas (without an actual explained reason!!!), the lack of supporting characters (hence, the extra created 'crazy personas'), and the nonsense of making Wade fully insane (look he has a screw loose, but he's not a certifiable insane person).

No, this arc is about back to see Wade wanting to die. He fully feels immortal, and wants out. He sets up a bunch of cross laid plans and duplicity with his X-force team, the Kingpin, Tombstone, and Bob the Hydra guy to get the serum that will cancel his healing factor. And he does. But he finds in doing all this, he's only set Bob, a simple guy without any real wants or plans, up for death. Wade never bothered to think about him, or what all his double crossing would do to Bob. So, Wade reallizes he's got to live, if for nothing else to save Bob's life, and take a new lease on things.

Of course, Wade tries to get back into the biz, but realizes he was relying on his healing factor way too much, so goes for some more training with Taskmaster, but doesn't tell anyone about his loss. So, it's about Wade trying to live without the healing factor, and having his ass handed to him by Paste Pot Pete. Okay stuff right now, and it's only 5 more Way issues before the Guggan/Posehn volume of DP takes over on the stands (circa Nov 2012)

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS