HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 03:35:52 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thor a top 10 (AKA What is yours?)  (Read 9625 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 27, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »

I put this in "Thor"s thread at first, but decided to move it here as it became a larger question than I had first thought it would
 Smiley

So started reading THOR # .. 705(?) last night and it got me thinking ...

Is Aaron's Thor already in the big two's top 10 runs of all time? I am not talking "In all of comics". Not trying to compare the greatness and magnitude of creator run arcs like Mignola's Hellboy, BKV's Saga, or even Sandman (which yes, technically IS a big two book but ...)

I don't mean length, but in pure greatness. Does it deserve that label of "Top 10 Greatest Runs" already? Up there with the likes of Stan and Jack's FF, Stan and Steve's Dr. Strange or Spider-Man, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Frank Miller's DD ... Joe Quesada's DD or Ultimate Spider-Man, Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, Wolfman and Perez' New Teen Titans, Chris Clarmont and John Byrne's X-men or John Byrne's FF (and yes, I hate the man, but I think that still has to fit into the conversation ... unless it doesn't hold up at all? Maybe it doesn't? It has been ages since I read it) Or even more precise (or blasphemous) ... is it better or just as valid as Simonson's Thor?

Does the current Thor deserve "Top 10"

If not, and I guess what I really want to know is ... What do you consider the big two's top ten runs of all time?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »

I can't really be objective here since I didn't read Thor in any regular basis until Aaron came on board.  I am smart enough to know it is not the #1 Thor run but it is very good.

I would not include his current Girl-Thor run though, because, well, that's not Thor.  It is very good and a great run on a great character.  But it's not Thor.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 12:12:57 AM »

I can't really be objective here since I didn't read Thor in any regular basis until Aaron came on board.  I am smart enough to know it is not the #1 Thor run but it is very good.

I would not include his current Girl-Thor run though, because, well, that's not Thor.  It is very good and a great run on a great character.  But it's not Thor.   Grin

Grin
But the title of the book was ... so ... he was still writing Thor, even if Thor wasn't in it Wink

Sort of like Jimmy's favorite run of the Hulk. The one written by Bruce Jones. Oh how Jimmy loves that the Hulk was never in his own book. Just tons and tons of that damn Banner guy. Yep, one of Jimmy's greatest loves, that run.
 Grin Grin Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »

RAHRGH!!! JIM SMASH!!!

Oh man, I had eradicated that name from my brain, but then you brought it up!

That said, I did get all the Visionary trades of Simonson's Thor-and LOVED it!

I will say Aaron is right there as well too. I had fiercely loved Jurgens Thor Odinforce saga as well, but maybe because Aaron's is so much newer, but I find Aaron's to now be a second, or equal, to Simonson.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »

RAHRGH!!! JIM SMASH!!!

Yep, pure adulation. Hahahaha  Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »

And this is a cool topic. I hope I can come back and discuss in force

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 03:17:16 AM »

Man...where can I go with this?

My thinking went to Amazing Spider-man, because I enjoyed reading it so much as a kid; Micheline and MacFarlane!

However...is that considered a seminal run to point people towards? I may honestly say "no"; doesn't mean it's not a huge part of the history and amazingness to the character, but is it truly groundbreaking?

To that, I do say what I find to be Top 10 worthy (lets see if I agree with myself)((and I won't even discuss Perry's choices either; will just leave that for another discussion))

Marvel
Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
Lee/Ditko/Romita ASM ( to the 80s or so)
Micheline/Layton Iron Man (either & both runs!!!)
Claremont/Bryne Uncanny X-men
Bryne FF
Hickman FF
Miller DD
Brubaker Captain America
Fraction Iron Man
Aaron Thor
Simonson Thor?

-and look, I just hit 11 !! What to do?! Surely PAD's Hulk deserves to be there somewhere, right? Someone is going to want Bendis' DD, even though I don't like it. I didn't even give creedence to Ultimate Spider-man. I believe the writing on Priest's Black Panther writes the pants off of so many other things too! Man, just 10?!

DC Comics
Byrne Superman-what a redefinition and world building! Hell, I'd add Perez doing his work at the same time!
Snyder Batman
Rucka Wonder Woman (put them both together, why not!)
Johns Flash
Johns Green Lantern
Morrison Justice League
Waid's Flash
Wolfman Perez New Teen Titans
Robinson's Starman
Robinson/Johns JSA

So...I'm a big Johns fan. And I mostly list everything after COIE. Am I wrong to do so? Was there truly great stuff I just don't know about pre 1983?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »

First of all I just noticed I wrote "Quesada's DD and Ultimate Spider-Man" . Idiot!!  hahaha

And Jimmy ... Byrne's Supes? That one surprised me almost as much as Snyder's Batman ... which I dug, but top 10 of all time? Not knocking you, it is good, just kinda surprised it made it in there for you. But hey, if it hit you that greatly, then yep, it deserves the spot, yeah?
 Smiley
And damn it, I forgot how good Fractions Iron Man was. Man that was good.

So...I'm a big Johns fan. And I mostly list everything after COIE. Am I wrong to do so?

Wrong? Not at all, if that is what you feel, but just like the two I already mentioned, and I could be very wrong, I just don't see all of those John's runs as being worthy of being the Big Two's Top Ten of all time. But hey, this is all personal, so maybe JSA does fill that for you and if so, hey, glad to hear it, but out of just the ones you listed, would JSA be in your top ten? Not top 20 or top ten from DC, but top ten from both publishers. Maybe. And again, that is cool. Can't wait to see your final list. And you may end up making me want to put JSA in mine.
 Grin
And don't worry, I got you on PAD, buddy  Smiley

I think, as of now, and this may change the more I think on it, but as of now, I think my top ten of all time (from the big two) would look something like below (in no order, yet)
 Grin

- Peter David/various artist - Hulk - 328,331-359,361-467 (maybe missing a couple more inside that 100 issue run) - Just a huge, HUGE ... no ... a HULKING run of comics. I remember seeing the gray Hulk in a suit and flipping out. Mr Fix-It is still up there as one of my favorite characters.

- Wolfman/Perez - New Teen Titans 1-40 (1980) / 1-5 (1984) - Can't tell you how excited I was for this book back in the day

- Claremont/Byrne - Uncanny X-Men 108,109,111-143 - Another sub 50 issue run that totally changed me during the time

- Lee/Kirby - FF - 1-102 - Is this my favorite to read? No, but the mere creation of my favorite comic has to be on this list

- John Byrne - FF - 232-293 -  Because it was the perfect time for my comic reading mind

- Micheline/Layton - Iron Man - 116-150 - Truth be told, I liked everything BUT "Demon in a Bottle" back in the day  Cheesy

- Brian Bendis - DD - 26-50,56-81 - DD brings his horned head forth as a favorite character of mine done well once again.

- Walt Simonson - Thor - 337-382 (minus one or two) - Brought the Kirby impact back to Thor. Loved him for it.

- Jason Aaron and misc artist - Thor (including all iterations like various Thor reboots (1-8, 1-10), God of Thunder (1-25) and Mighty Thor 1-23 and 700-706 ... SAD!!! Cheesy Cheesy) - I am not even going to try and do the math on how many issue of Thor Aaron has written as I have to include stuff like Thors (with an s) plus any other one shot I may forget about and I have no idea what the total would be.  Grin But damn it, what a freaking ride this has been. I think the only current age Marvel title on my list.

- Geoff Johns and misc artists - Green Lantern (including all iterations like various GL reboots etc ... hahaha) - Just a great run. Period. Made me really enjoy Hal again. Even more than I ever enjoyed Hal before actually.

Just missing the cut are great runs like Hickman's FF, Roy Thomas 115 issue run on Conan the Barbarian (with my boy John Buscema for most of it) and Miller's DD

EDIT - and I am giving serious JSA thought now. I think I may drop IM and put JSA in there.
At least until I can think of one that knocks them both out
 Cheesy
Moore's Swampy? I never read it, not all/most of it, so I can't vote it in as one of mine.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:14:17 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »

- Claremont/Byrne - Uncanny X-Men 108,109,111-143 - Another sub 50 issue run that totally changed me during the time

Part 2 of Days of Future Past was the very FIRST Uncanny X-Men comic I ever bought and introduced me to those characters and the entire X-world.  Man, that changed my life and I didn't even know it.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 02:41:51 AM »

And Jimmy ... Byrne's Supes? That one surprised me almost as much as Snyder's Batman ... which I dug, but top 10 of all time? Not knocking you, it is good, just kinda surprised it made it in there for you. But hey, if it hit you that greatly, then yep, it deserves the spot, yeah?
 Smiley

Byrne did rewrite Superman for a generation. His art was top notch; just top notch then too. I loved the full use of all the cast at the time; time honored characters, but it all just felt fresh and lively. Building the mythos, but also building the 'life' of Clark Kent, which has served him so very, very well.

I've bought lots of Batman since the introduction of Tim Drake and on. Snyder's Batman run, with the Court of Owls (and the 5 Bridges before that even), the Death of the Family, I just loved all of it. Batman was Batman, but he was capable of being defeated, he had weaknesses, he showed emotion (happiness too!). For me, it was a great welcome change of all the Batman always wins, always grim, blah blah blah, and I found all the stories exciting. Except Bloom, but we mentioned that. Wink

And damn it, I forgot how good Fractions Iron Man was. Man that was good.
So good. I own it floppy and tpb.

So...I'm a big Johns fan. And I mostly list everything after COIE. Am I wrong to do so?

Wrong? Not at all, if that is what you feel, but just like the two I already mentioned, and I could be very wrong, I just don't see all of those John's runs as being worthy of being the Big Two's Top Ten of all time. But hey, this is all personal, so maybe JSA does fill that for you and if so, hey, glad to hear it, but out of just the ones you listed, would JSA be in your top ten? Not top 20 or top ten from DC, but top ten from both publishers. Maybe. And again, that is cool. Can't wait to see your final list. And you may end up making me want to put JSA in mine.

I totally thought this was each company's Top Ten, not just a Top Ten. Is that what you mean?
Although, thinking of just a pure personal Top Ten...man, I loved the one long, huge story of JSA that seemed to last well into the...80s, 90s, even past issue 100? Nonetheless, that's a tough call.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS