HR Boards
December 12, 2017, 06:47:34 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hero Realm now
officially 475 members
strong!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Internet comic 'news' sites ...  (Read 94 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: September 28, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »

...are dead.

Obnoxiously riddled with ads,
'reporting' nothing but spoilers of books hitting shelves tomorrow,
Lack of honest reviews (and I mean reviews of content, not just writing a 3rd grade book report where you write down
  everything that happened and say "I like it" or "I don't like it")
Creator interaction with interviews on the sites
Chasing click-hits instead of content
Lack of editorials
Lack of diverse showings (how many sites honestly show Valiant books as what to read? Image stuff?)

I miss the big hay-day of our early times that spawned Hero Realm. It was like the comic companies were really trying, at that time, to recognize the importance of an internet presence. Connect with more people, spread your message and books, make it feel inclusive and draw people in.

Now? Don't need to. I'm sure if I used twitter, I could follow every comic creator I wanted to (why? honestly, why?). Or, some more of them have facebook (Mark Waid uses his ALOT, but not really for promoting comics/works as much as using it as his (rightfully so) personal platform for expression). But that means why bother with interviews? Why get to know the face of a writer/artist/inker/colorist with a CBR interview, when I can just go and find that person myself?

The sites have to try and make money to stay afloat and be active. That means ads, clickbait articles, and bullshit content everyday to get more clicks (*CBR, I look at you, you damned awful offender!!)

Perry, I know you mentioned Multiversity. I've tried it, and gone there, but it seems sporadic in content, or at least with content that doesn't sink with me yet.

Should I try youtube and follow reviewers and their channels? I've tried more than a few, but nothing that made me a fan.

I truly miss those days of being connected more with my hobby.

What if I branched out to Comicboards for more varied conversation? Would I enjoy it? Not sure if I want to delve into such a large community, to be honest. Also, do I want to be screaming into the wind with so many others? I like more intimate, familiar conversation (like HERE Wink

So, I'm just complaining. That's all.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:08:56 PM »

Have you seen this?

http://www.thewrap.com/harry-knowles-aint-it-cool-rise-and-fall/

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 07:24:15 AM »

Hey Jimmy, have you tried Major Spoilers yet?
Just trying to throw all the sites I know out there for ya. It has been a long time since I have gone there, but HERE is their site if you want to take a look

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:01 AM »

Thanks for giving me something to try!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS