HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:18:56 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Madame Web premieres in theaters February 16, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Retailers get heated at NYCC Marvel panel  (Read 3057 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 06, 2017, 12:04:51 AM »

Wow. Will Marvel listen?

https://www.newsarama.com/36750-retailers-become-heated-over-marvel-variants-diversity-in-closed-doors-nycc-panel.html

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »

Well, while I understand SOME of their anger, the guy bitching that Ice-Man is "kissing men" is missing the point entirely.
What people are mad about is Marvel took ALL of the heroes away we grew up with at the same time (like mentioned) not that there are variant heroes all together. And the Sexual making of a character does not even fall into the same category for me on this point. Ice-Man being gay is not an issue for me, although they could have done a better job on making us readers transition to his awareness, at least it was not as forced as NorthStar's outing.
 Undecided

Jane Foster being Thor ... okay, that is stupid as hell, but not because it was a woman, I just wish they would have gone a different way and not taken a guys F'n NAME AWAY!!!! He IS Thor damn it!!!! Mjölnir is not the Dail "H" for Hero dialing device ... I mean come on!!!! When Beta Ray picked up the hammer he was still Beta Ray Bill. He just had the power of Thor. He didn't take his name.
 Roll Eyes Angry

The other stuff would have been fine, if not all at once. They just through all these heroes at us at one time. I know I had them all at once when I was a kid, but change is not something that you can push all at once sometimes. Sometimes, even in fiction, it needs to be paced ... at least here, I feel.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »

I totally agreed with the one who complained that customers come in looking for the movie Avengers and then leave with nothing because they aren’t there. What a complete waste of selling opportunities.  Seems to me that using the movies at marketing would have brought in more new readers than what they have done.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »

Well, it was kind of like when I mentioned looking at cover of the Champions or Avengers. Look at the cover and there's no recognizable old school Avenger on there. They were all standing in as replacements. I wouldn't want to start with that.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »

Did I delete what I wrote here?
Hahaha, I know I replied to this thread ... I thought.
 Huh Huh Huh

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS