HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 11:15:49 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marvel Cinematic Universe - When will it peak?  (Read 3804 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: September 18, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »

I keep thinking that at some point the Marvel Cinematic Universe has to hit it's peak.  Do you think we're there yet?  Has the average movie goer become tired of the barrage of super-hero movies?

I was at a friends house the other day and their neighbor was over and he was complaining about the lack of movies out that he wanted to see.  He said it's all super-hero stuff and he was tired of it.  Now he's not a comic book guy but it did make me start to wonder when we would hit that point of over-saturation.

Any thought?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »

i would think that at some point in time the casual viewer or non-fan will get sick of them as they feel "their" movies are being neglected.

However i also feel that they have been able to maintain the quality of movies which will give them a longer life as they are building new fans of the movies, that like StarWars, Trek, Harry Potter etc they will be fans for life or until the quality has a severe drop.  and even then they will continue (see SW I, II & III) as the fans will keep coming, even for bad movies.

Like Westerns, musicals and War Movie the numbers will eventually be reduced...maybe 1 or 2 a yr total versus 3-4 films per company.

I think the super hero movie has proven itself as enjoyable entertainment and not just a flash in the pan.  as long as they keep the stories fresh and keep the genre of films changing (spy thriller, buddy cops, political intrigue, heist) we should be ok for the next 10+ yrs
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »

I was thinking this sometime or so last year, or maybe the year before?

Dr. Strange was not highly innovative of a superhero movie, but not derivative either. That helped. There's a little bit where I have other parent friends who 'can't keep up' with them coming out. I think we'll find once the Main Actors filter out that you'll get comments of "he's no RDJ" and people will get apathetic towards it. "Oh, another Captain America movie."

I worry that the peak is almost hear, and maybe just as the DC movies start gearing up!! But perhaps they can do what they say, and deliver bigger mythic movies than the Marvel movies.

It's almost like the comic tentpole events. I hear complaining, but the sales don't stop. People keep coming back. Look at Saws, Fast and Furious, etc!!

But I wonder...I really do wonder when they will just...fizzle away. Let's be honest; does Ant-Man really need a sequel? (I know it's coming). Or Dr. Strange? Or, God forbid, yet another attempt at a solo Hulk movie?

Guardians was great because it was simply so different than the Marvel fare. Winter Soldier was great because it almost completely became a complex spy thriller. Black Panther? OH lets see a supposed cross of 'GoT' and warring nations!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »

Not yet over
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS