HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:59:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: any FL peeps here on the realm?  (Read 7876 times)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« on: September 05, 2017, 03:04:16 AM »

been watching this Irma hurricane quite closely and hoping it just stays the hell away from us here in SC but it appears to be bearing down on FL so i was just wondering if any of you guys are down that way?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:43 AM »

I think we are all safer than you. I am right up the coast line of course, about 20 miles from N. Carolina/Virginia boarder and Knotts Island and only about a 10 minute walk from the beach so I am also watching this puppy like a hawk ... or a Bluuuuuue Faaaaalllllcoooonnnn
 Cheesy
Sorry, trying to add levity.

Jeff is further East by a good clip but could end up getting some wind ... maybe, depending on it's course. And Jimmy ... well, if Jimmy ever has any Hurricane issues then we are all screwed Cheesy

Hope the rest of the active pack is also safe. Wringer, Tok, Mitch ... I feel like I am forgetting someone?

I just hope that it does get pushed right past you ... us here as well, but I haven't checked the sit-rep this morning and I heard last night we may not know until Friday what the path may end up being. Doesn't give you a lot of time to get out if it gets that way. Hope you are getting and staying prepped, buddy.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »

the wife already booked a hotel room for us starting Sunday through Thursday (maybe Friday, I'm not 100% sure) but it can be cancelled up until 6PM Sunday night so hopefully by then we know one way or the other what to expect.  I may have to stay behind and work at the hospital but I am hoping that my childless co-workers volunteer to take the first shift until relief can get in if it comes to that.    I am hoping for that continued westward motion that carries it into the gulf.  it feels wrong to hope that it heads for someone other than us, but at the same time, I lived through hurricane Hugo and I have no desire to ever do that again.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

it feels wrong to hope that it heads for someone other than us ...

Oh I understand and so does everyone else I imagine. It is not a "better them than me" thing at all, it is a "I don't want it to be me"
Don't feel bad about that. I know you have had some hurricane fun. Heck, just up here we've lived through Isabel, Irene, Gloria, small little Bertha, Hurricanes that wiped me out for at least a day without power and some up to 10 days. And of course Bonnie, Medium Dennis and Floyd and about 4 other ones that left me just without power for half a day or so. Yes, that is how I judge Hurricanes. By how many hours of TV I can't watch.
 Cheesy

But seriously, luckily, for us, the update I saw this morning is, like you said, is looking like it is gonna carry more west before it makes the turn up. It is looking like the tip of Florida (and I will not make a joke about Florida right now) is the main focus. Of course that can all change in a heartbeat, but it is looking like us on the coast further up, may just escape most of this.

Hope you do as well, my man

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:38:12 PM »

I'm in Dallas - 400 miles from the coast where Harvey hit so pretty safe from Hurricanes.  Instead we get Tornado's like the one that hit a few blocks from us a couple of years ago.  Neither is fun for sure.  Mother nature can be a mean woman sometimes.

Stay safe guys and don't feel guilty about taking care of your families.  That's your jobs.   Wink

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »

i'm not liking this turn that everyone is predicting. Angry

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »

Stay safe, move early, jc!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »

Yeah, no doubt. Funny (not funny) how things can change in a matter of minutes like that. Hope for the best for ya, buddy. Be safe and if they tell you to go ... GO!!!! (just take your books with you  Smiley)

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »

Yeah, no doubt. Funny (not funny) how things can change in a matter of minutes like that. Hope for the best for ya, buddy. Be safe and if they tell you to go ... GO!!!! (just take your books with you  Smiley)

All 12,000?  I am going to put a few hardcovers and masterworks that would be difficult to replace in plastic bins, tape the lids down and I have some of my more "expensive" books in a couple of fireproof/waterproof safes and hope and pray that my roof doesn't leak and stays attached and no trees come falling into the house. We have a hotel reservation for Saturday through Friday so the wife and kids will be ok, now I'm just worried about what our house will look like when we return.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:14 PM »

Don't go getting negative, man. Being positive won't steer the damage away, but it is damn sure easier on the heart and mind
 Smiley
Be prepared, be safe, but don't sweat the outcome until it arrives

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 04:01:06 AM »

this weekend is supposed to be the annual guys fantasy football draft weekend.  I have had plans to be off work from today through Tuesday and drive back to my hometown and meet up with the guys and pick the one flying in from Boston up from the airport Friday night for about 8 months now.  I am really hoping we can get our draft in before I have to drive back here to help the wife pack up her car, pick up her mother and her pets and evacuate.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 10:13:10 AM »

Hell yeah, gotta get that done!!!

Best of luck, Cow (with many things)!!!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »

Best wishes and safe prayers for you and yours, jc.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 10:36:31 PM »

Hey Cow, if you still have power, go ahead and check in with us buddy and let us know you're all good. Or that you're all mad ... whichever.
 Smiley

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 02:39:01 AM »

well, this is how it went down. 

Thursday was the day to leave town to meet my buddies for our FF draft.  There was still a lot of uncertainty as to where the storm was going to go and we had already made hotel reservations about 4 hours further inland.  The plan was that if the storm did indeed head our way, i would drive back to help my wife pack up her, the kids, my mother in law and her dog and cat and we would scoot out.  I just had my fingers crossed that it would hold off until after we had done our draft or it turned away completely. 

So, it DID turn away completely and we were able to do our draft and i was able to stay and watch football with the guys on Sunday.  I even was able to go to the local Comic-con on Sunday morning that my friend who owned the LCS where i worked in high school started up a few years ago before passing away late last year.

I was so happy that the storm changed directions and i was able to finish up the guys weekend that we all failed to realize just how big the storm was (with all the 24 hour coverage I'm still not quite sure how we missed it) and so I ended up driving home this morning in torrential rain and tropical storm force wind gusts.  After I got home, we had a LOT of rain and even stronger winds for a few hours and as I type this at 10PM, it is STILL raining.

Than being said, the wife and kids are OK, our house is OK and last but not least, my comics/books are OK. 

Now we have Jose coming up behind Irma...... Angry Angry Angry

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS