HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 12:11:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Deadpool; a treatise  (Read 5651 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: September 05, 2017, 12:56:36 AM »

Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth (2009) 5-13

Prelude to Deadpool Corps(2010) 1-5

Deadpool Corps (2010) 1-4

Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War (2010) 1,4

Deadpool (2008) 22-26

So, this is the Deadpool I've been reading. Going through all his published history, (and trying to skip the junk mini series), Wade has grown, particularly under Fabian Nicieza's 'Cable & Deadpool' 50 issues. Wade became established as a guy who wanted to do good, or at least be recognized that he does good. Sure, he's a merc, but that means he only takes the contracts he wants to. He wants recognization, he wants to be seen, but he also knows what and who he is. Hence his dilemma.

So, I thought things were going well. Deadpool (2008) was started 6 months after the end of 'C&D' by Daniel Way. Now, I saw a lot of the same things being continued by Way that Fabian had been doing-mainly making DP into a fully realized character, but still able to joke and be ridiculous. However, I have since learned that Way introduced another voice in DP's head merely as a story tool to make jokes. He simply made Wade crazy. Wade isn't psychotically crazy. OH, he's got some loose nuts, but he really acts it up more than he lets on. That's his depth. Way adding a new voice, just because he didn't want to have other characters in the arcs (I believe you can look this up) REALLY angered fans. A LOT. That's a lazy writing technique, but it did get adopted for a while, as is seen by Victor Gischler in upcoming works.

Such is the case of the mini 'Merc with a Mouth' by the aforementioned Gischler. These 13 issues more or less started the beginning of the character going off the rails. In this story, it's cheap laughs, plenty of t'n'a, over the top gratuitious violence, violence without a need or reason. Now, I'll say, I did laugh through it. I...enjoyed the read of it, but there was also a danger I recognized that this is how DP could go from here on out. And boy howdy, I believe it does.

Mark it as 2010 that DP gets exploited like Wolverine and Venom in the 90s. Can't get enough of Wade? Marvel will take that bet.

Deadpool Corps (& Preludes) ends up being a year and a half of Wade finding alternate reality versions of himself, as ordered by some Elder power you've never heard of to go fight some outer space evil. Headpool (marvel zombies' version), Lady Deadpool, Kidpool, and Dogpool. Again, just ridiculous.

Also, there is Wade Wilson's War. This is a MK title. And it sucked. It's basically a world that doesn't have Marvel heroes, but special forces operative Wade Wilson is pulled before a Senate committee to spill the beans. Not terribly interesting, tries to posit that Wade is just insane and making up his stories, but purports to make the reader 'question' if this Wade really is a superhero merc. Whatever. I read 1.5 issues, then skipped to the end of #4. Not impressed.

But, coming up after these titles is Deadpool Team-up, Deadpool Max and Max II, Back in Black, Illustrated, & Spider-man,  & the Mercs for Money, Deadpool the Duck, and more one shots and tie ins to shake a stick at since 2012. Look it up on Unlimited some time.

I just want to follow the 'main' Wade story, and I hope it's out there. I've been enjoying what I've been reading so far.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:50:02 AM »

I left around Deadpool's intro (not because of it mind you  Cheesy) so I missed or avoided a lot or all of his early stuff. That said, I have always thought him to be over the top silly, sexist, and a TnA type book built around childish and sometimes boorish humor. Is that not the case?

I only ask because I have not read a lot of Deadpool, to say the least, and I am confused about your post on Merc with a Mouth. Is this when the Wade I know really came into existence? Not until close to 2009? Again, Maybe. But I had always thought him that way well before then. Not in his original Liefeld form, but shortly after. At least I thought so. But wow, if not, that is crazy.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:50:23 PM »

Wow - I pretty much only remember him the way Perry said.  I hate to hear the character I roll my eyes on in comics - but loved in the film - had a different path that made him more than just a bunch of jokes.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »

Well, perhaps I should clarify. I feel perhaps I have made some things unclear.

Deadpool is always a smartmouth, crass, and rude motormouth. That really came into affect once Joe Kelly came into the title as writer back in...1994? with Ed McGuinness. He broke the 4th wall then, and yeah Perry, rather like you said. However, as I wanted to find out, DP did things, in a jerk manuever mostly, to be around people and have friends. That came out more and more and went into further development, especially towards the end with...I can't remember the origin writer at the end of that first volume.

So, DP remained all those things you typically remember of him, but he did move into new territory, and honestly worked to make changes in himself. His humor, rudeness, and anger are all masks he uses to hide his deformity and what not.

Mind you, this is REAL deep looking into DP, but its there and been used. Alongside all the violence to him and others around him.

It's just around this 2010 time where I wonder if that characterization is simply gone for pure gag books/funny book publishing.

The 2009 Merc with a Mouth was like watching ...Police Academy 8? Not as terrible as that movie, but just taking the highlights of the idea (in this case, breaking 4th wall, pop culture jokes, t'n'a crudeness) and stamping out a DP story. Now, I make it sound awful. It actually wasn't. But, I wonder if it was the beginning of the trend by Marvel to just slam out as many DP books as possible just because people would buy them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »

Okay, yeah, I got ya. Thanks, Jimbo!!

Again, as a Deadpool novice (?) I am not at all attuned to a lot of the nuances or, really, the characterization of Deadpool in general, but you got my head clearer now. Thanks.

I only knew Deadpool as the murdering Bugs Bunny, if you will (and yes, that is not at all an accurate interpretation of the character, but ...) and that is why when ...
Uncanny Avengers possible spoilers --->
Cap asked him to join the Uncanny Avengers I was put off. It made me mad and I was off the book ... until the Cable shoulder AI thing pulled me back  Grin. I was just confused as to how Cap could ever put an over the top, contract killer in the Avengers. Unity Squad being a subset of the Avengers or not. Just ... would he ever do that? But maybe Cap did see the man inside more than I did? It appeared so as the title went on.

Anyway, thanks for the info and your thoughts on the matter
 Cool

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:49:19 AM »

I won't lie; I still find that a bit of a head scratcher, to put DP on that team by Cap's decision. Still doesn't make sense. It doesn't mean that the man Wade doesn't deserve the chance to be a good person, I'm just not sure Cap would still make that decision at the end of the day.

However, Duggan did treat Wade like a person, not a continual running joke, so that helps me.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS