HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:52:17 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Your artist that slips through everyone's radar.  (Read 4522 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: September 03, 2017, 01:35:56 AM »

Do you have a guy that you think no one pays attention to, but you find to always be awesome when you read his stuff?

I've got to say: Doug Braithwaite.

Ever since Earth-X, I've loved this guys' work. LOVED IT. He draws such a broken or hardened warrior in all his heroes, never skimps on the backgrounds, and never confuses anyone in the weaving of his tale telling.

Recently, he's done lots for Valiant (yay!!), and I'm back reading his work in Wolverine: Origins.

But man, he's a keeper!! He should always be working somewhere!!

I'm trying to come up with some other very honorable mentions, but I'm tired and it's hard!!

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:42:10 AM »

i always thought that Ron Lim didn't get the love he deserved.  His Silver Surfer was phenomenal.  I also always enjoyed Graham Nolan's work and Norm Breyfogle's.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 02:43:20 PM »

i always thought that Ron Lim didn't get the love he deserved.  His Silver Surfer was phenomenal.  I also always enjoyed Graham Nolan's work and Norm Breyfogle's.

I've always had a special spot for Ron Lim.

Although, I just reread Infinity War & Crusade. Not gonna lie; did not look great by Mr. Lim. Then again, each issue was 35 pages, and starred about 43 characters per page. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Breyfogle was such a...I wish I could describe what or how I viewed his batman work. I'm just gonna call it 'good.' No one ever really talked about him, but as far as I could remember, he drew Batman stuff for, what, close to 5 years? or more? He was there (or earlier) just as Tim was starting as Batman, and I know he was drawing through Knightfall or longer, so yeah, mad props to him!

I LOVED Nolan's work! Talk about tight and beautiful images. Like a ...a...matured version of Romita Sr. I still will always remember a panel from Knightfall; it's on a train top, Bane's flunky with a knife is advancing, Batman comes swooping down at him, but it's actually the flung cape and cowl, because Bruce was hiding on the ladder between the cars, and then he pulled Knife guys feat out from underneath him as Knife guy stabs through the cape, and Knife Guy crashes to the train top and gets knocked out as his chain and head slam down on the car. . I can still see Bruce's eyes and the caption "No matter the pain, the exhaustion...that felt good."
Thank you Graham Nolan!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »

My brain is failing me now and I can't think of any of the not-well-known that I love so much.
 Undecided

I will returnnnnnn !!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 01:21:36 AM »

Been thinking about Ron Lim's work lately so he was the first to come to mind for me too.

Kerry Gammill, Joe Bennett, and Steve Rolston also make the list.
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 02:32:43 AM »

Tom Raney is another guy whose work i really enjoyed.  I was lucky enough to get a Colossus sketch done by him at a con a few years ago.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »

Darn it, I forgot to get back to this.

But one guy I always liked, Tom Grummett. Just super clean, straight forward hero art style, not a ton of attention.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 12:40:02 AM »

Tom Grummett-always a favorite of mine since Adventures of Superman #500 and the debut of Superboy- "HEY! The S stands for Superman!" Cheesy

Tom Raney. Great stuff from back in the day when he was pencilling Adam Warlock & the Infinity Watch.

Joe Bennett-getting new resurrected fame with Priest on Deathstroke! They work so well together!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS