HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 01:24:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rob Liefeld...oh god....  (Read 2636 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: September 02, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »

I'm a fan!

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'm a fan of the spectacle. I really am. Only now, I should say. Going through so much Deadpool, he's come back for an arc, covers, and now the entire 12 issues of Deadpool Corps.

Oh, it's ridiculous. Lady DP threw a spear through the window of a helicopter, and the pilot goes "ha! missed!" until he looks over and sees 2 grenades tied around the spearhead. The thing is...the spear perfectly went through a tiny spear sized hole. There is no way the grenades could have made it through the hole at all. In fact, the size of the hole is illustrated in the same panel with the 2 dangling grenades!! Cheesy Cheesy

But with Rob, it was never, ever about concise, tight storytelling. Each panel is a pin up. Each panel is an explosion of illustration to itself. Shoulder pads and numbers of belt pouches appear and disappear panel to panel. Details of the same fight come and go. Why? Didn't matter in the panel he's drawing of figures leaping through the air, explosions, etc.

But no matter what, he sells each panel he's trying. Even if General America is doing a grandstand pose on an alternate earth...and his head is actually over the right side of his body as posed to symmetrically center, it doesn't matter!  Cheesy Cheesy It's about the millions of details, cross hatching, and emphasis Rob puts into the body and face itself. Most seemingly unnecessary.

Now, this is in no way an endorsement of Rob's saying "damn, he's really good!" but there is something within the style...that I now see. I don't think it's purely like looking at a car crash (which is how I long felt about it), but it's almost like...Comic Expressionist art. "See? I do what I define as comic art! Splash lines, lotsa muscles, pushing the action in every moment-even the still ones!" I can see the...the...excitement of it all. I just makes me laugh and enjoy at this point.

There has always been something...newly magical about the Image 7 when they come out to draw something again. Portacio art was on somethign I recently read. Always gotta look at Silvestri when he draws. MacFarlane too! Larsen..okay, maybe not as much. There is a guy pushing beyond Comic Expressionism if you ask me (towards where Frank Miller is now).

I've almost been studying Rob lately. There are parts and goals of my life that have left me unhappy. Don't like my job/career right now, but I know I can't reclaim the past gone years either. So, my goal in life for me is to have one published comic. I'm completely happy if it's an e-comic/online comic. I completely and wholly realize that is how it will happen too. But, I want it to be something that is sold/purchased, and I want to do 22 pages. It won't be next week, month, or year either, but I'll do it. I took huge heart in recently learning that Kirby was 44 years old at FF #1!!! Amazing! Inspiring!!

So, in studying Rob, I've been looking at what he does that sells the page. What made his art be something that was sold and bought? What did he do or not do (ANKLES LOL) that made people fan? How little can he do in background, yet make a panel awesome? It's quite interesting.k

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:28:13 PM »

Well I certainly wish you the best of luck with your book and I hope I can get a copy.
 Smiley
I have all the faith in the world that you WILL accomplish your goal.

As for Rob, well, I am not going to say anything here.
 Grin

No, I will say that Rob Liefeld is a nice guy. A true gem to the comic world.

There. Now THAT is all I will say.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 01:07:03 AM »

Well I certainly wish you the best of luck with your book and I hope I can get a copy.
 Smiley
I have all the faith in the world that you WILL accomplish your goal.
Thanks! So much practice before this, though

No, I will say that Rob Liefeld is a nice guy. A true gem to the comic world.

There. Now THAT is all I will say.
 Smiley

That is true. His fanboy love of all things comics has always shown through. He's always been encouraging, upright, taken lots of shit from lots of people, and always did so without so much as a curse from this mouth (that I know of).

But yes, any critique that you would offer, I've said myself as well. And justifiably so!! I wouldn't refute ANY of it if you did come back and say so. You wouldn't dash my heart at all-I'm a fan, like a person is a fan of the Sharknado series. Of direct to netflix Universal Soldier movies (which I AM a fan of!  Cheesy Cheesy).

It's Liefeld. I just can't help but laugh...and enjoy!! Cheesy Cheesy

It's sick of me, it really is.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS