HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:51:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Letter 44  (Read 11134 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 26, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

As I get ready to start Vol 4 I think dawned on me that I haven't spoken up about this book yet.

I really really like it.  It's a mix of space adventure and political intrigue here at home.  The basic premise starts off with a new president from the opposing party being sworn in.  He has all of his ideological ideas and plans ready to go.  The letter is the traditional letter that presidents leave each other in the desk as power transitions.  That letter shakes everything the new president ever had planned as he learns that there is an alien outpost watching us and that we sent a secret mission out there to investigate. That mission has taken years to travel there and they will arrive under the new presidents watch.

It's a mix of conflicting ideologies here on earth and what life has been for astronauts (a mix of military and scientists) spending years together out in space.  And then there's those aliens.......

Really good series and I definitely recommend.

Vol 4 collects issues 22-27. 

And now on to my reading it!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »

I wasn't blown away by the art, if I remember correctly, but I still want to read this someday. As it did just finish its run ... that helps.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 05:48:01 AM »

Vol 4 - issues 22-27

Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!   Shocked

And those who know me know I don't use that word lightly.

This series is blowing me away.

This arc was a big one.  The biggest so far.

Perry - read this now!!

And yes this series just finished with issue 35.  And I can't wait to finish it.

Holy crap this just blew me away.

10 out of 10 holy shits.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 05:51:03 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:55:47 AM »

I mean holy crap I'm still blown away.

I can't stop thinking about this.  Wow.  Just holy crap.

How in all that is holy did I miss this series until just now.  Shocked

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »

Issues 28-30

Absolutely amazing.  My iPad only has 8% battery left so I won't get to finish tonight but I'm going to try.

Words can't express what is happening here.

This is powerful writing. 

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »

I will find a way, financially, to read this, Jeff. If you feel that way, it has to be at LEASTa little good to read.  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »

I will find a way, financially, to read this, Jeff. If you feel that way, it has to be at LEASTa little good to read.  Wink

ComiXology has a lot of it on sale for 50% off right now so that's 99 cents an issue for a lot of it.

I think it's a ComiXology Unlimited member only sale but the code is ONI17.  See if it works for you.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 03:23:58 PM »

Issues 31-35

My iPad made all the way to issue 35 then halfway through died!  I had to finish it on my iPhone.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Good ending to the series.  That unexpected twist from Vol 4 leads to a bit of a predictable ending but the journey there was a lot of fun for me.

In full disclosure I had friends over last night for poker and I had quite a bit of whiskey.  After they left I went out on the porch with a cigar and a beer and planned on winding down with a little reading. Could the whiskey have influenced me? Maybe.

But as I think back I still feel the same way about what I read last night.  I stayed up until 3am to finish it because I was so engaged in the story.

The build up issues are fun and interesting and though I would still have recommended it I wasn't as passionate until the endgame was revealed and it all came together.  It's worth the journey if you have the time and money.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 11:29:47 PM »

Well if it hit you that hard, like Jimmy, I will see about reading a few issues. Or try to, again. I will get a hold of Dave and see if he can "hook a brotha up", but I may have to buy the issues in-between the first couple issues (which i know he has ... or had) and those that I may be able to grab/read from the LCS.

I know the art bugged me, at least at the time, so I will get a hold of those first couple first, to see if I can go for more, before buying more. But yeah, your excitement has me at least curious.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 02:04:18 AM »

The code worked for me!!

Just need to double check finances before I pull the plug and try to go after this. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 04:10:33 AM »

I wasn't blown away by the art, if I remember correctly, but I still want to read this someday. As it did just finish its run ... that helps.
 Smiley

I agree the art is nothing to get excited about but it didn't bother me either.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 04:11:50 AM »

The code worked for me!!

Just need to double check finances before I pull the plug and try to go after this. Smiley

That's great Jimmy!  Maybe just grab the first arc to see if you'd like it?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »

Oh, I go full bore. I'm getting the 4 trades.  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 02:32:46 PM »

Dammit! I forgot!! Angry Angry

Washing machine stopped draining on Wednesday, bathroom remodelers didn't show up until this week (should have been here 10 days ago!), been washing up in front of a sink and washing hair in the kitchen for 5 days, check engine light came on in the car, and Junior started getting sick and having trouble sleeping through the night (coughs, chest congestion, sniffling).

Plain forgot about any of this.  Undecided

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 05:43:17 PM »

Forgot to mention this in the weekly reader so I thought I would post it here, where most of my thoughts should have gone anyway  Cheesy It is a very small detail but I love the way
While in space, the communications are colored different around the text boxes, depending on who you are talking to;

Red for whole shipwide communications
Yellow for just the local group talk
and
Green for one to one convos... just makes it a tad cooler to know and understand who is talking to whom.
(of course it has been a couple hours ... maybe the colors are different, but ya get what I mean

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS