HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 02:52:36 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Dune: Part Two premieres in theaters March 15, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hatchet time - DC Comics to drop  (Read 6916 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 25, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »

Looking at my Wish List in ComiXology and I see why I'm so far behind.  I just can't afford to buy all of these.  So I'm going to chop it down to about six titles plus events/minis.  There's actually five titles on my list I haven't even started so I think they are obviously my first cuts.

Here are the six I'm going to definitely keep.
Aquaman
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
Mister Miracle
Titans

Here's my complete list.  Any on here I should keep besides the six I chose?
Action Comics
$5 Batman (All Star Batman)
Aquaman
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Batman
Batwoman - never started
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Doom Patrol- never started
The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom- never started
Mister Miracle
New Superman
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Super Sons- never started
Superman
Super Woman
Titans
Trinity
The Wildstorm- never started
Wonder Woman  -  I will finish out Rucka's run then drop.

Might be easily convinced to keep:
Batman
New Superman

Thoughts? Advice? Or if it's easier, what six would you keep?

My ultimate goal is to drop a bundle on what I keep to get caught up and then stay current on those titles so I will post more on those titles.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:01:23 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:46:21 AM »

Well personally, for me ...
 Wink

First off I would put a limit on Aquaman. It is really, really good, right now, but the art, again, for me, plays a huge role in that. True, the writing has been better as well, but deep down it is one of the few times that the art is truly carrying a title for me. Once Sejic leaves, if DC were to put the standard DC artists look back on instead of hiring another artist whose art pops the underwater look like Sejic, I think, no I am sure I am gonna bolt. Now that is me and I am still not wowed by Abnett overall, but maybe you are back to loving Abnett's stuff as I see you also have ...

The Titans are doing absolutely nothing for me. Now true (in the complete opposite of what is happening in Aquaman) a lot of that "nothing" is the Brett Booth art. Now I do enjoy his stuff in small doses (like a two issue fill-in) but I tire of it very rapidly when he is on a monthly. I am not sure what you like here, not riding you for liking it, just not sure what it is you like  Grin so if it is the story, the art or the nostalgia all is well, but compared to most of what DC is putting out now, this title ranks among the Suicide Squad as titles that are just there. Going through the motions. Not overly enjoyable. Not worth $4.
Again, for me
 Smiley

Moving on, Batman is, man, I just don't know what to tell ye here. It is good, on the surface, but there are so many problems with time and construct in the last couple arcs that I just can't believe this is King writing. Add to it that his "Batman" just isn't "Batman" to me and I just can't suggest this. Now at the same time I am enjoying it, but I honestly can't pin point why. It just feels off for me. I say if you like Batman, try an issue and see what you get, but if you are just okay with the character, not a huge fan, just wait.

And I can never openly suggest someone buy a $5 monthly comic. Just can't do it. All-Star is out for that reason. It is good, but $5 is too much. (although you do get extra pages with a back up and it is starting over soon, so keep your eyes out?)

Doom Patrol was just too confusing for me as I never read the Morrison stuff and a lot of that is either based on or themed on that. It is "Wacky" and I kinda dug that, but while I didn't enjoy it, you may. Especially if you are a fan of the Morrison stuff.

I really enjoy New Super-Man, was one of my favorite DC titles ... until the artist I liked left to do Action(? ... something else for DC) and now I just enjoy it. Is it a top title for me? Yes. Should it be in a list of only six? Probably not. You bought the first 3 or so, I think, so if you liked that I can say it gets better (as it does), but if you didn't, I don't think it gets "top six" better.

Batgirl, Rise of Cap Atom and the 6 issue Amazon title are another group that just "is" for me. Nothing you need to worry over.

Trinity is okay, the first arc is deserving of a read, but I think Red Hood and the Outlaws out-Trinitys Trinity. It is a more powerful representation of their differences and it is cool seeing the start of the friendships develop.

Batwoman I have only read the first issue and I really liked it, but I hear it went down after the first few issues. I can not confirm or deny that.  Cheesy Even still, I am going to try and read it to get caught up, someday, as I am a huge fan of Steve Epting's art.

Action and Superman used to be really good and for me to say that says a lot. But I was't a fan of some of the arcs in Action and Supes has just not been as good, again (and for the third time  Cheesy), for me. Do I still plan on reading them? You bet. Could you enjoy either? Absolutely. In-fact, if you do pick Super Sons you almost need to read Superman. Almost.
 Wink

Which brings me to ...

Super Sons is just fun. Flat out. It is like any "opposites attracts" movie where the difference help push the enjoyment and here, in this comic, the characters are true to form. It is the Odd Couple (not that recent, horrible tv show remake) mixed with a tad bit of Teen Titans (the good versions) and Worlds Finest. Plus, it is only a few issues in so ... bonus!!

My top six DC currently, and this is being behind on a few myself  Cheesy would be -

Mister Miracle
Batman (yes, I know what I said  Grin Grin)
Deathstroke
Hal and the GLC
Super Sons

and

and

Man, really hard for me to choose between Red Hood and New Supes so I won't

Cheesy

But I can see any DC reader being happy with -

Detective Comics (even though I enjoy Batman better ... for some insane reason)
Superman
Hal and the GLC
Aquaman (currently ... or Current ... ly  Roll Eyes)
Deathstroke
Super Sons

Good luck with whatever you decide! Hmmmm, I would choose 7 or ... 9 titles and be happier.  Grin Especially since Aquaman, Dethstroke and Mr.M are monthly anyway. So is Super Sons, New Supes and Red Hood. Plenty of titles to enjoy when they are not bi-weekly. But that is me spending your money. Sorry
 Wink
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »

Might be easily convinced to keep:
Batman
New Superman

I meant in addition to the six not as replacements. So yeah, I'm not opposed to going up to 8 titles if it's worth it.  Sorry for the confusion there.

Titans is just, well, because it's the Titans. Not because it's necessarily a good book. Just like I'd likely hang onto almost any version of the Legion.

Of course whatever list I ultimately pick is never set in stone. I could easily swap out titles as one goes down and another rises.

So if you had to rank those top 8 how would that go?  What's your number 1 and what's number 8?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 01:12:14 PM »

Batgirl, Rise of Cap Atom and the 6 issue Amazon title are another group that just "is" for me.

What is this Amazon title you speak of?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »

Batgirl, Rise of Cap Atom and the 6 issue Amazon title are another group that just "is" for me.

THIS came out at the same time the Capt. Atom mini did.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 01:24:44 PM »

Ok, so after reading Perry's thoughts and combining with my own thoughts I see some "easier" chops.

Action Comics
$5 Batman (All Star Batman)

Aquaman
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
Batman
Batwoman - never started
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Doom Patrol- never started
The Fall and Rise of Captain Atom- never started

Mister Miracle
New Superman
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Super Sons- never started
Superman
Super Woman
Titans
Trinity
The Wildstorm- never started
Wonder Woman  -  I will finish out Rucka's run then drop.

That drops it down to 11 which is still not enough.  Need to decide on 3 to 5 more.

Aquaman
Batman
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Mister Miracle
New Superman
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Super Sons
Superman
Titans

Do I have to read Superman to enjoy Super Sons?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »

THIS came out at the same time the Capt. Atom mini did.

Ah - nice cover art but yeah, no interest for me.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »

Do I have to read Superman to enjoy Super Sons?

Not at all.

Superman just shows more of the development of Jon so it is nice in that aspect. But no, there is little to no connection really.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »

Ok. So I think I'll drop Superman.  That puts me at 10.  Before I cut anything else I think I'll catch up on Titans and see if I still feel like keeping it. Possibly could drop it if it's as bad as you guys feel it is.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 01:39:15 AM »

That drops it down to 11 which is still not enough.  Need to decide on 3 to 5 more.

Aquaman
Batman
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Mister Miracle
New Superman
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Super Sons
Superman
Titans

I can't argue much with that list; looks good to me!

I do plan to get Detective in some Comixology tpbs once that inevitably goes on sale at some point.

I haven't gone with Titans since the first 6 issues. I wanted there to be some magic with the title that makes me love the original sidekick legacy people, but I didn't. So, I left. If it's the same team and all, then I see no reason to come back and try it again yet.

Hopefully Mister Miracle keeps up being awesome in the same anticipation value vein that Vision was-because I will trade that for my library fast!!!

New Superman I just figured as something that wouldn't last....so I never bothered to start! *shame on me*

Red Hood I actually wish to pick up.

I really like my Superman titles, but that is just me as a Superman fan perhaps. I love the great family writing that Tomasi does with 'Superman'; Action is essentially Jurgens channeling 90s good times Superman comics, and I really like it for that.

As for as the others you dropped...well, I don't think there is anything there I would say "No, go back for that one!! " ')

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 12:34:38 PM »

Before I cut anything else I think I'll catch up on Titans and see if I still feel like keeping it. Possibly could drop it if it's as bad as you guys feel it is.

Sadly, the Lazarus Contract soured me on this title.  Looks like I'm dropping Titans.  This makes me sad but no sense spending good dollars on something I'm not thrilled with.  Especially when there are so many good things out there.

As a side note, it did get better after that Abra Kadabra arc but just not better enough.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:38:10 PM by Jeff » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS