HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 04:11:39 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Godzilla vs Kong 2 premieres in theaters April 12, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Nights METAL  (Read 18833 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 02:26:34 PM »

So I read or re-read The Return of Bruce Wayne #1 last night, trying to get all up on that knowledge to understand Metal more thoroughly, and I think (and Snyder could have said as much in an interview somewhere, I don't know) that this is where Snyder got the idea for
the 3 Jokers. There is a caveman/early man in this issue ... along side Vandal Savage(?) ... that the group calls Joker. Wonder if that is where Snyder got the idea as it is obvious reading Metal that he is all over Morrison's jock strap  Grin

There is a small part of my brain that thinks Plastic Man may be in this mini ... somehow ... as something perhaps? Could be wrong of course.

Onto issue #2 ... at some time or another.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

Oh, you mean Plasti may be in the 'Return' mini?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually the Joker/Trickster figurehead of days long past. OR, at least represent it. You need a shining force of light to banish the gloomy darkness.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 12:07:15 PM »

Well I have now read issues 1-4 and so far issue #1 is the only one really talking about Barbatos or, from what I see, anything related to Metal to any degree. I did start issue #5 and it seems like it may have more here, so fingers crossed
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »

Metal #3

Snyder is not Morrison. He is not crafting a tale that grows between issues and makes each instance of seeing the issue we read a spectacular moment.

It's so...blasted over the place. Instead of crafting a dart to throw at a bullseye, Snyder loads up both barrels of a shotgun with buckshot and blasts the entire dartboard.

I don't hate this...but I'm really disappointed with this so far.

I also HATE the dark multiverse. Let's study this; what's the purpose shown of the 'dark' realms? It's shown to be a place of depravity, hate, fear, all spawned from our universe. Ie, that means our universe is 'good' or light.

Maybe I'm looking too hard into it, but this stands on the principles that there is objective truths-good exists, and evil exists. Good is better, I would presume, from what is being shown here. Only through fear and hate does the dark grow. So, that means the dark needs be destroyed. ((or is this balanced with the good only exists with bad to balance?))

And I can look at all this without bringing in the benevolent creator argument yet.

On the whole, I think the dark multiverse is a dumb idea.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 01:15:30 PM »

While not bad enough to send to the junk yard, I do see a lot of rust in this Metal event. Yes I went for the easy shot
 Cheesy

It just seems like an Elseworlds title and I think that is the only thing I am truly enjoying.

Sadly, I think it is going to permeate the DCU for years, instead of just being ... a thing that was here, good and enjoyable while it lasted.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 11:45:45 PM »

Metal #4

I wrote a long emotional speech here but I just deleted it. I think instead of a four or five paragraph diatribe, I can sum up all my feelings and thoughts so much more succinct by this and this alone -

Metal issue #4 ... Ugh.
 Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:28:27 AM by Perry » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »

I'm sick of waiting for this to get really good. Like, those 2 Forge and Anvil issues had me so intrigued! Sure, you were messing around with old history, giving it a bit of the Johns-ian tweak of the cheek and eye wink to make it fun, like it all mattered, and you built some great layered 'what's happening now?!' suspense and new theater like Morrison, but Snyder...WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GOING WITH ALL THIS?!

I think I'm convincing myself that I'll like it as it goes along and goes all the way to the end. But, I'm sorry
Batmanium
just about made me do a spit take due to how damned stupid that sounded.

I love the importance of Hawkman, and history, and nth metal, and making 'meta' come from metal, but I'm having a hard time believing in the writing of the story.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 07:17:15 AM »

Angry

Issue #5

Sums it all up perfectly. One more issue. Just one more issue ...
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 11:20:23 PM »

I hate an event book that crucially needs the tie ins to fill in the gaps and explain things.

(Secret Empire you are FAR more guilty of this!!)

But by issue 5, I had just about started to feel the enthusiasm again for the meaning of it all. Why?

As Perry said, one more issue. One more issue.

This issue was the rising action of story design; it reaches the zenith of climax, and will fall back to resolution. In one issue.

But mostly so far it's been bullshit to me.

Nertz.  Undecided

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »

I'm just ready for it to be over.  This was a big let down.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Gay Titan
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 01:44:35 AM »

I skipped it all together. It seemed like a very lame concept and "big" event.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 02:55:12 AM »

And so, Metal #6 is out and done.

What do I feel?

I feel that Scott Snyder is a fantastic writer. Has great ideas, big ideas, and really sells them-on his books. On an event?

I felt like he was a freshman player moved up to starting varsity for the injured senior-and he wasn't ready for it. Those first 2 issues, of the Forge and ...the other...were wow, just WOW!! But then, the series began.

Trying to ape the insanity, and scatteshot chaos that coalesces into majesty like Morrison (yeah, I'll say it! :p ), or trying to big and as bombastic, and delivering with the BIG MOMENT like Millar, or the cleverness and satisfying delivery of someone like Waid, Snyder just or delivering the essence of the stand like Johns can, Snyder falls...flat in trying to be like that.

Morrison always left things be discovered by the reader between panels, and Snyder told a story almost entirely in that regards here-but it just left me confused about what and where things happened-or why they happened in the first place.

In trying to be overly clever (c'mon, I loved that they were called meta because the L got dropped off), the excess tongue in cheek and layering of everything in history together again just didn't...work for me.

Batman got lost in this story. it was his failure and fault throughout all this...and it was Diana and Hawkman that truly saved the day, I think. The weird Macguffin of
the original Monitor!
just felt ..out of place, or mismatched to the events here.

Then the ending narration....was not anywhere near as awful as that Secret Wars bullshit, but man....I'm not sure I really bought the words.

I don't know, perhaps I feel a bit bitter because it wasn't amazing....

..and it was another secret way to change the DC universe again, to continue to fix Rebirth...So.....I don't know, whatever is whatever.

I'm going to read EVERYTHING again and just...see what I feel about it.

Afterwards? OH hell, I'm stoked now! I really am! DC books at least always pique my imagination and curiosity for the future (currently, I should say).

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »

Just finished issue 6.

I just couldn't buy into this.  I'm glad it's over and I am excited for the future of DC but this was just not good.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »

Just finished issue 6.

I just couldn't buy into this.  I'm glad it's over and I am excited for the future of DC but this was just not good.

All over the damn place and, as I heard one guy say, "Narratively, it is a jumbled piece of storytelling"

Some of the ideas are cool, but like I heard someone else say  Cheesy (and this time I think I remember that it was iFanboy ... I think) "What happened to "The OUtsiders" that we were promised in this event?"

I think this was Snyder trying to be Morrison and it just got out of hand.

I am looking forward to some of the stuff coming out of it, but that is always the case with any event.
I will jump on Hawkman, I want to jump on Plastic Man (but Gail Simone can be so ... well ... I shall see), I will at least try that Immortal Men and of course I am loving the Terrifics (It is DC's F.F written by Lemire ... of course I will like it), Hope Atlantis rising is worthy of me staying on Aquaman, I hope the Metal Men get a new shot at a series (though it almost needs to be a mini ... I am cool with that), I have already said I am stoked about the Darkstars hitting the pages of the GLC and of course I am super, uber excited about Neil Gaiman's Universe

The FLash war (or whatever it is called) and the Justice League stuff I am not too high on (especially those darn colored costumes in that first mini)

But overall ... yeah ... another high hopes event that crapped out early and often.
 Sad

Go read Batman's Poison Ivy arc that just came out. That was soooo good and a Batman story worth the time.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS