HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 09:11:40 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dark Nights METAL  (Read 18838 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: August 19, 2017, 02:50:43 AM »

Okay, I read #1

I feel I read it so rushed, like a puppy who is chasing his tail at the door to go outside and is afraid he'll piddle if he stops, that I can barely tell what I read.

Hell, on initial blush, I even feel a bit confused!! But I'm pretty sure I like it. Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:03:19 AM »

Hell, on initial blush, I even feel a bit confused!! But I'm pretty sure I like it. Cheesy

But why?

I also finally read this thing and ... okay ... I don't get the love this is garnering all over the webs and at the shops here. It is nothing but ... no, I am not going to say that until later as it is too early to call it fan fiction based on Morrison
and Gaiman
, but let's be real, the only people that know what the hell is going on after issue #1 is Snyder and maybe the editorial staff. And I don't mean that in the good "wow, what the heck is gonna happen next?" way where we are still in the dark as to where the story will go after a good read. No, most good comics give us that. But this was so much all over the place it is laughable.

Will it come together? I assume so. It is Scott Snyder, but I see no reason why this book, that contains some of the most rushed art by Capullo I have ever been witness to (some crazy distorted characters plus more), isn't being given the grade of a 6 or 7 out of 10.

All I am hearing is "Great", "Amazing", "4 and a half (out of 5) stars" and I have to ask, WHY? It can only be based on hope and the prospect of where this title, this event (that suddenly everyone forgets they hate) and not this issue itself. This issue was not good. Why all the love?

Is it because of all the DC references? Big Deal
Is it the opening that was too long and used a stupid Ex Machina as resolution? Bah
Is it because of the map? Wow, she flipped it
Is it the way that Elongated Man
said "!"
  Grin

I mean honestly, why is this getting such love? This is not even close to being as good as the DC Rebirth issue that left us scratching our heads with questions about what was going to happen ... what was around the corner, but still dropped our jaw from the greatness that it was. That was good, no, that was great. This is a pure rambling piece of comic booking with a highly convoluted story (I think  Roll Eyes) and some hella'fied rushed art.
(That Gotham scene with the mountain? What the heck, Greg? You're better than that and Scott you know better to give him such a small space to work inside)

Will I continue reading? Sure, of course, I want to know what is going on and I like, essentially, the idea of where this is going, plus I still trust Snyder for the most part, I know Capullo can wow me at anytime and I have to try and find out what the hell is going on with that ending, but will I read all those tie-ins? Heck no. Not at all ... well, I will read the Batman one-shots but I would read those regardless of the reason behind the one-shots.
 Cheesy Undecided

With the tie-ins, if I read the title anyway, I will read the tie-in (and looking at that now ... it looks like, for me, that is only one title Cheesy), but I still won't be happy about it. Remember being mad about all the events and the stupid tie-ins that interrupt the creative teams on said titles that the event crosses over with? Why is this different? It certainly isn't because this issue was so great. And the crossover titles? Is it any wonder they are being placed in some of DC's worst rated titles? Is that happenstance? Maybe. But ...

Teen Titans - Ha, no.
Nightwing - no, dropped awhile back
Suicide Squad - oh hell no
Green Arrow - no (Jimmy just dropped, but ...  Smiley)
Flash - no, no (and Jim ... nevermind  Grin)
Hal & the GLC - Yep, read it anyway
Justice League - no, no, no, no.

I see no reason to buy any of these "tie-ins" except for maybe, maybe the JL one. Possibly the Flash and Hal, but the others?

Okay, enough from me. In closing ... If you dug this, great. I have no idea why, but glad it hit for you, but the fact that so many people are raving about this comic is just leaving me feel like I am from the flip side of the 52

6 out of 10 - Cool DC characters and ideas from the past.
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »

Perry, there is nothing you said that I disagree with. In fact, all were things that I was planning to come back and discuss. I won't lie, 6/10 is probably what I would give it as well, although...well, maybe I'm not looking at more optimistically, but, maybe I am? I guess I'm not letting myself feel too dour about it, but I could really fall down that well if the second issue isn't better.

First off, I'll talk art. Now Capullo really grew on me during his Batman run. There was a JL appearance there, and it took a little getting used to see the rest of the League in his style, but I found it just fine there. Here? Well, to be honest, I thought he was doing finishing touches over Romita art in many places. It was as crisp in as many places, and to honest, looked just downright sloppy in others.

EDIT

I don't even care stepping into a big fight at the beginning. It's like a cartoon that. No problem there.

However, after that, once the Blackhawks come in, well, yeah, most of the dialogue makes no sense-right now. I just rode it all going 'huh?!' Some times I like the sense of what the hell is happening (I grew into a big Grant Morrison fan, and any time one reads Ellis, you always feel like you are a step behind because you just aren't smart enough in the first place), but there is a bunch of times with trying to link all the past events of Carter Hall to the Wayne family where I go, seriously, what is going on?

Then, I just rode it on out and said 'bring it!'

But if I get my Carter Hall back, I am solidly on board!!!

But yeah, if I just look at this like issue 3 (since Forge and Casting would be 1 and 2), then yeah, this was the heavy exposition issue to fill in some bigger gaps.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 06:32:59 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:11:40 PM »

Perry, there is nothing you said that I disagree with. In fact, all were things that I was planning to come back and discuss. I won't lie, 6/10 is probably what I would give it as well, although...well, maybe I'm not looking at more optimistically, but, maybe I am?

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You should feel that way (or look at it that way, with an eye towards optimism) and I may have too had it not been for a whopping 22 out of 39 reviews giving this one issue a grade of 9 out of 10 or above, with 12 of those being perfect "10" scores. A perfect 10? This book? Come on!!! I think THAT got my goat more than anything I read or saw inside the issue.

I know reviews are ... subjective, but with that kind of praise from COMICBOOKROUNDUP (A site I go to to get a feel on how books are generally recieved) not to mention the 8 or 9 peeps in the local shops here, dropping to their knees in effort to elevate the stature of this issue, I think I just exploded.
 Grin

Bottom line is I am very excited about where this can (probably will) go and I look forward to that journey, but does this deserve a perfect score from anyone? Is this on par or better than "Rebirth"?

Hells to the no it isn't.

And it isn't just the scoring fiasco, I know better than to listen to reviews as hey, this is all subjective and often times personal (why I am glad you enjoyed it better than I did, it is more personal to you so that is great) so what I am looking for may not be what a reviewer is looking for at the time they read their copy of "Perry and the Very Ample Women of Venus #6"
 Grin
But well, okay, I was mad they got me. I was sucked in from all the hype and all the "10"s and yet ... well ... there is no way that this book, when it is obvious the art has at least 3 problems, should be given such a great score. They set me up. I was thinking I was getting Rebirth 2.0 and I was made more mad by getting a story that, while good, was less than stellar.

But man, that is me. I hope you (and others) dig the living hell out of this title.
 Cool
I hope to as well, and soon.
 Smiley

(Though I'm still not buying Teen Titans)
 Wink Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 12:38:40 PM »

said "!"
 Grin

No, since Elongated Man isn't in the comic.

But I LOVED the way Plastic Man
said "!"
   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »

I think we're all on the same page here for the most part.  It was confusing especially with Batman "jet packing" locations.  I like the idea of the
dark universe
and where this is going in general.  But I don't see it as a world changing event.  Just a fun multiverse Batman story.

6 out of 10 seems about right for this issue.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »

said "!"
 Grin

No, since Elongated Man isn't in the comic.

But I LOVED the way Plastic Man
said "!"
   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

DAMN IT!!!
What is wrong with me?

That is rhetorical. Do not answer please
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:40:23 AM »

Oh nuts, I kept forgetting to come back and harass Perry about that mindslip. However, Jeff, you did it masterfully so, in that all I can do is applaud.  Grin Cheesy Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 01:06:53 AM »

Cheesy

Keep doing it too. Not just here. Some mental block as a kid?
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 03:38:02 AM »

Issue 2

WHAT IN THE EFF WAS THAT I JUST READ?

2 out of 10 Grant Morrisons

And I'm being generous.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

Grin

Yeah, I think it is really hard for anyone ... ANYONE not well versed in Morrison's Batman (as well as a tad bit of Gaiman's Sandman insight) to fully relate to what the heck is going on. Heck, I love Batman but I have to admit being lapse on Morrison's run. I even started it a few months (or was that years) back and now I regret not completing the task.  Cheesy

I think I am going to go back and, at very least, read that "Return of Bruce Wayne" mini-series that Morrison wrote. I am pretty sure that is where most of this stuff is from.

I know that Bats got hit with Darkseid's Omega Beam in Final Crisis and (minimizing the story here) transported back in time and there, I believe, is where the Barbatos character comes in ... I think. If not, I am pretty sure he is at the very least mentioned in that series, so hopefully I can gather more info there.

That is my plan at least. Hope I can get to it sometime
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »

You are correct, Perry.  Big throwback to the Morrison run and that Return of Bruce Wayne story.  Just not well done IMO.

I mean come on...
Batmonium?  Really?

Grin Grin Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »

You are correct, Perry.  Big throwback to the Morrison run and that Return of Bruce Wayne story.  Just not well done IMO.

I mean come on...
Batmonium?  Really?

Grin Grin Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »

Again, I agree with all.

While Snyder, in interviews, says he's having fun and a blast with this, I learn more about the comic itself from reading the interview than I do from the comic itself.

This is entirely built off of materials from Return of Bruce Wayne.

Grant Morrison had a way of changing course each issue of something he wrote, without lead in panels or step by step continued narration. He could do that.

Snyder isn't really doing that for me.

and yes, the SPOILER tag you mentioned? Too ridiculous for me. Again, Morrison could do something with a word like that, or another, and just make me buy it. I just don't care for it here.

I feel like there was a .5 issue, or an issue of 'Batman' or 'Detective' I skipped where things would have made more sense for me. I also tend to REALLY hate it when a character continually shouts 'THERE'S NO TIME TO EXPLAIN' but, it is shown, there is CLEARLY time to explain. You know, like, when you have the Justice League chasing the world for you? That's how. This is just highlighting for me how much of a dumb prick Batman can really be. His hubris is that he doesn't learn. It's not that he doesn't trust, and then that leads to his downfall. That ALWAYS happens. It's that he doesn't learn for the next time.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 02:35:30 PM »

I also tend to REALLY hate it when a character continually shouts 'THERE'S NO TIME TO EXPLAIN' but, it is shown, there is CLEARLY time to explain.

From the mountain tops it came. The declaration spoken with such fervor, reaches the waiting ears of the flock below. Preach it, brother Jimbo. PREACH IT!!!
 Smiley

Absolutely, 101% agree with you on that. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS