HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:18:14 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - August 9, 2017  (Read 6238 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: August 10, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »

Almost forgot to start the new comic book week!  Keeping it shorter this week.

ComiXology
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 16
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 17
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 18
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 19
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 20
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 21
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 22
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 23
Superman Annual 1
Superwoman 4
Superwoman 5
Superwoman 6
Superwoman 7
Titans 5
Titans 6
Wonder Woman 12
Wonder Woman 14

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Avengers 5
Uncanny Avengers 6
Uncanny Avengers 7
Uncanny Avengers 8
Thunderbolts 9
Thanos 3
Star Wars 27
Inhumans vs X-Men 3
Infamous Iron Man 4
Hulk 2
Extraordinary X-Men 18
Civil War II: The Oath 1
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 02:45:46 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 05:17:13 PM »

Keeping it shorter this week.

Cheesy

Mister Miracle #1

Captain America #25
Secret Empire #8
Jean Grey #5

Old Man Logan #27
Inhumans: Once and Future King - Christopher Preist's Inhuman Mini-Series. I'm all over it!!!
SW Rogue One Cassian and K2SO Special #1 - No interest in the adaption, but I will read the origin of K2 in a heartbeat

Redlands #1
Sacred Creatures #2
Unholy Grail #2
Harbinger: Renegades #6
Rai #5
Rai #6

A little more than last week
 Smiley
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:03:50 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:21:07 AM »

Finished

Star Wars Legacy 46-50
Star Wars Legacy: War 1-6

Sweet.  Good job Jimmy.  How did you like those Star Wars Legacy comics?  That was one of my favorite series back when they came out.

Plain and simply put, this is Star Wars excellence. Marvel's books haven't even come close to the duo of Ostrander and Duursema did on their nearly 10 years of SW work together. Seeing both their names meant I was going to be reading some well crafted and excellent stories.

Legacy was the story that didn't just ape the Trilogy, but took the mythos, and told it's own story. Built on the framework of the Classic work, Legacy stands on it's own, tells a Star Wars story without regurgitating Luke's story.

Loved it. Just loved it. Still so sad that this duo is no longer writing the SW stories I want.

What great, great times. Don't know why it took me so long to finish, but damn, I'm glad I did.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »

I read:

Unlimited
Spider-man 2099
Old Man Logan

I only read these 2 books from Unlimited this week. Everything else there was stuff I've either dropped, or just won't read.

What I'd like to finish:
Cable & Deadpool 38-50: because, yeah!! And for whatever reason, I'm determined to read all DP stuff. And Cable, because I love the big galoot. Still not sure at ALL how he came back after his death during Messiah CompleX. Not sure I'll keep up with DP once he hits the current Marvel times, what with having like, what, 4 monthlies? No thank you.

After that title, well, I'm continuing to read Captain Marvel (Genis Vell) as that's always a favorite. I even put on Infinity War and Crusade, since Unlimited was highlighting it. Smiley

There is the sale this weekend through Instocktrades, but I don't think I can drop an additional $50 yet again on trades this month. Been buying some other stuff, house stuff, more baby stuff, wife is returning to another school year, so I maybe better not.

Also with that, I'm going through Power Man & Iron Fist from issue 50 to get the true strength of these characters' friendship, as said by Tok and Perry.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:59:25 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 01:41:26 AM »

I NEED TO DISCUSS THESE COMICS!!!!

Hal Jordan & GLC 24 & 25: In the thread

Action 983 & 984: I think I talked in the thread?

Superman 26 & 27: Okay probably will go to the thread

Wonder Woman 26 & 27: Poor artist, and a weak story. Feels very filler while waiting for headliner to appear on title.

Green Arrow 26 & 27: I did it Perry, I did it!! I've decided I'm done! Just not that....good or interesting to me!! Not after reading Ollie's walkabout in Grell's volume 6 and then reading Percy here. Just not the same worth. I gotta be done, and I am.

Aquaman 26: Duh, this looks great, and is suddenly very intent in it's reading

Deathstroke 21: Heh heh heh, a manipulated Deathstroke team. Love it!

Super Son 6: Oh Damian, you dick. :p

Unlimited
Doctor Strange 16 I do wish Kevin Knowlan was doing interiors, not just covers

Totally Awesome Hulk 15: Showing up to some benefit with Shang Chi (huh?!) Ms. Marvel, Silk from out of nowhere? Not enjoying this book very strongly right now

Spider-woman 15: Oh spit, Jess!! The last 2 issues have been amazing. From Porcupine's ex, to this issue, the writing and challenging of Jess of what it's like being a hero, and being oblivious to the world around you, even with you as a detective? Loved it. However, with the power that Roderick has as Hobgoblin, dude, Jess should get her ass wiped next issue.

Daredevil 16: A little bit of that annoying Catholic navel gazing that every writer feels they have to do with DD. We get it, he'll always fight.

Punisher 8: This title was only being held up by Dillon's art, and with him gone, the weak story or lack of interest in it, rather spells the end of this read for me.

Thunderbolts 9: I decided to retry a book. Didn't writer? I can't remember, but with more Tbolts here, maybe it reads a bit different? Nah, not interested. Still not a good book worth reading.

Captain America Steve Rogers 10: Still good, but losing interest with the pacing of the revised Skull history.

CW II The Oath #1: Oh man, OH MAN. Now THIS is the story I've wanted to read. Sure, it's Hydra Cap, but I feel it sounds like most of fandom who complain (ie me) about how the heroes look. The hard truths that Steve drops here is so, so deserved, I feel. Says how I feel about my 'heroes'.

Hulk 2: A slow burn, but so far...I'm okay with letting this burn.

Infamous Iron Man 4: A good read this month.

I v X 3: Crap!! 3 more issues?!!

Thanos 3: Heh heh heh...super power beatdowns. I'm not sure who is recording these behind the scene interactions, but whatever, I love the writing here.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »

Lots to talk about here, so let's get to it.
 Smiley

Plain and simply put, this is Star Wars excellence. Marvel's books haven't even come close to the duo of Ostrander and Duursema did on their nearly 10 years of SW work together.

I agree 10000% on the first part of that statement. However, I can only agree 99% with second as I think Dr. Aphra is a hell of a Star Wars story, but again, that comment only comes after saying I agree with you 99%.
 Grin
It is far from being as grand and as pleasing as Legacy, but there is that 1% of me that likes Aphra just as much.

Just 1% mind you.
 Smiley

EDIT - and I have to go, so I will get to the rest later!
 Angry
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:20:50 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »

Finished off Hal Jordan and its in the middle of a story arc.  Adding issues 24 & 25 because I have to see how this ends!

ComiXology

Add: Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 24
Add: Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 25

Superman Annual 1
Superwoman 4
Superwoman 5
Superwoman 6
Superwoman 7
Titans 5
Titans 6
Wonder Woman 12
Wonder Woman 14

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Avengers 5
Uncanny Avengers 6
Uncanny Avengers 7
Uncanny Avengers 8
Thunderbolts 9
Thanos 3
Star Wars 27
Inhumans vs X-Men 3
Infamous Iron Man 4
Hulk 2
Extraordinary X-Men 18

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »

Plain and simply put, this is Star Wars excellence. Marvel's books haven't even come close to the duo of Ostrander and Duursema did on their nearly 10 years of SW work together.

I agree 10000% on the first part of that statement. However, I can only agree 99% with second as I think Dr. Aphra is a hell of a Star Wars story, but again, that comment only comes after saying I agree with you 99%.
 Grin
It is far from being as grand and as pleasing as Legacy, but there is that 1% of me that likes Aphra just as much.

Just 1% mind you.
 Smiley

And that's okay. There is probably definitely more than 1% of me that is miffed about Dark Horse losing SW, and just won't give as much creedence to the Marvel ongoings. I'm sure Aphra probably is just as good. I'm just playing the jilted lover.  Cool

EDIT - and I have to go, so I will get to the rest later!
 Angry

You'd better!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »

See? That is why I hate coming back to threads once I open them. I lose track or memory of what the hell I was going to say. I know I wanted to say more about Jimmy's thoughts, but ... damn if I remember more than this.
And Hell, I totally lost a thread or a post from Jeff that I wanted to reply on.  Angry I have no idea now what it was about, but I wanted to comment on it. Maybe it will hit me later.

Wonder Woman 26 & 27: Poor artist, and a weak story. Feels very filler while waiting for headliner to appear on title.

Sadly I had no interest once Rucka left. Felt like they were "hiring a woman to write a woman and hey, lets get women for all aspects of the book". And I know that sounds bad, but that is not my intent. I don't care if a woman writes, draws, colors, letters and/or edits ANYTHING, but it just seemed like they were pushing an agenda instead of getting the best group they could.
They basically told us if you have a pecker, you will not be considered for this job.
Sure thought we were trying to get past any of those restrictions myself.
 Roll Eyes

Green Arrow 26 & 27: I did it Perry, I did it!! I've decided I'm done! Just not that....good or interesting to me!! Not after reading Ollie's walkabout in Grell's volume 6 and then reading Percy here. Just not the same worth. I gotta be done, and I am.

Ha, well I am glad you got rid of a title you were not lovin', but damn sure wish it would have hit better for ya. I know your love of the character. Sucks when you can't read about them.
 Undecided

Aquaman 26: Duh, this looks great, and is suddenly very intent in it's reading

Not trying to sound like a small dog here, but ... Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep, yep  Cheesy

Super Son 6: Oh Damian, you dick. :p

Man I have to get back on track with this title!!!!
 Angry

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »

Once again, not gonna make it
 Cheesy

Mister Miracle #1

Captain America #25
Secret Empire #8
Jean Grey #5

Old Man Logan #27
Inhumans: Once and Future King
SW Rogue One Cassian and K2SO Special #1

Redlands #1
Sacred Creatures #2
Unholy Grail #2
Rai #5
Rai #6

Added -
Noble #1 (Catalyst Prime's first title)
Back Issue #74 (FF in the Bronze Age) - A little over 3/4 of the way through, but this happened over time of course, not in one sitting. Amazing how many articles you can read if you place a magazine in the bathroom.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »

I'm close. Should be able to finish by tomorrow.

ComiXology
Superman Annual 1
Superwoman 4
Superwoman 5
Superwoman 6
Superwoman 7
Titans 5
Titans 6
Wonder Woman 12
Wonder Woman 14

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Avengers 5
Uncanny Avengers 6
Uncanny Avengers 7
Uncanny Avengers 8
Thunderbolts 9
Thanos 3
Star Wars 27
Inhumans vs X-Men 3

Infamous Iron Man 4
Hulk 2
Extraordinary X-Men 18

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »

Done!  Whew!

ComiXology
Superman Annual 1
Superwoman 4
Superwoman 5
Superwoman 6
Superwoman 7
Titans 5
Titans 6
Wonder Woman 12
Wonder Woman 14

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Avengers 5
Uncanny Avengers 6
Uncanny Avengers 7
Uncanny Avengers 8
Thunderbolts 9
Thanos 3
Star Wars 27
Inhumans vs X-Men 3
Infamous Iron Man 4
Hulk 2
Extraordinary X-Men 18

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 11:56:23 PM »

CW II The Oath #1: Oh man, OH MAN. Now THIS is the story I've wanted to read. Sure, it's Hydra Cap, but I feel it sounds like most of fandom who complain (ie me) about how the heroes look. The hard truths that Steve drops here is so, so deserved, I feel. Says how I feel about my 'heroes'.

So I haven't been interested in Secret Empire at all; mainly due to event fatigue.  I knew I'd read it just so I'd know what was going on but I wasn't looking forward to it.

This changed that for me.  I'm now really interested to see how this goes.  It needs to hurry up and hit Unlimited!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 01:45:25 PM »

Maybe ... Maybe I will get there
(If I stop added damn comics!!!! Angry)

Mister Miracle #1

Captain America #25
Secret Empire #8
Jean Grey #5

Old Man Logan #27

Redlands #1 - So wanted to like this Jordie Bellaire written book, but the art is just not for me. I'm out
Sacred Creatures #2
Unholy Grail #2

Rai #5

Rai #6

Added -
Noble #1
Back Issue #74

Added (more) -
Aliens: Dead Orbit #1
Youngblood #3
Youngblood #4
- Done with this. It is ... better, I guess, than the 90's stuff, but still not what I am looking for with this team that could really be good.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »

Got them all done except for Back Issue (which isn't really a read as much as a piece by piece article thing), Rai #6 and Old Man Logan #27 ... because I seen I still had Old Man Logan issues 25 and 26 to read.
 Shocked

Man, not sure I want to put all three of those on next weeks or not, but I probably will as Brisson comes on as the new writer and I want to see what he can do.

Mister Miracle #1

Captain America #25
Secret Empire #8
Jean Grey #5

Old Man Logan #27

Redlands #1
Sacred Creatures #2
Unholy Grail #2

Rai #5

Rai #6

Added -
Noble #1
Back Issue #74

Added (more) -
Aliens: Dead Orbit #1
Youngblood #3
Youngblood #4

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS