HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:10:25 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - July 26, 2017  (Read 7814 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 26, 2017, 02:41:58 PM »

This week:

Marvel Unlimited
Avengers 3.1
Uncanny Inhumans 18
Ultimates 2 #3
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 3
Squadron Supreme 15
Spider-Gwen 16 (Crossover w/ Spider-Man)
Invincible Iron Man 3
All New X-Men 17
Uncanny Avengers 1 - Going to give this another try since Perry recommends it now.
Uncanny Avengers 2
Uncanny Avengers 3
Uncanny Avengers 4

ComiXology
All Star Batman 6
All Star Batman 7
All Star Batman 8
All Star Batman 9
Batman Annual 1
Deathstroke 8
Deathstroke 9
Deathstroke 10
Deathstroke 11
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 14
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 15
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 16
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 17
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 18
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 19
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 20
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 21
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 22
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 23
Superman Annual 1
Superwoman 4
Superwoman 5
Superwoman 6
Superwoman 7
Titans 5
Titans 6
Wonder Woman 12
Wonder Woman 14

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:26:44 PM »

Avengers 3.1

This was not a great mini series but it is pretty cool how it ... ? ended ?

It essentially comes around in a later issue of Avengers, which I thought was pretty cool way of installing a part of history into the main story that wasn't really there before.
 Smiley

Uncanny Avengers 1 - Going to give this another try since Perry recommends it now.
Uncanny Avengers 2
Uncanny Avengers 3
Uncanny Avengers 4

Oh I think Jimmy is also a fan which, hey, it has to be good with both of us liking it, right?
 Cheesy
(If only)
 Grin

I just had an issue with the way Deadpool was involved with a team that was suppose to be THE Marvel group, but after I let that go, the series really did start to shine for me around issue 4 ... I think. Yeah, Kinda glad I lost that bet and had to re-read this though.
Plus the art got better (well, more visually comparable with the source, I mean) once Stegman left. And I like his art, but him leaving really did help the book visually for me.

Wonder where Stegman is now?

Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 14
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 15
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 16
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 17
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 18
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 19
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 20
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 21
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 22
Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps 23

Ohhhh, lots of Hal to read.
 Smiley

EDIT -
May as well throw my list in now, starting with that one I didn't get to last week

Rapture #3 - I think those that enjoyed that Deadside arc of Ninjak will like this more than I do. I think it is okay, worth the read but not blowing me over. Hope the last issue has something important happen that can resonate into the Valiant Universe
 Smiley

Bug: The Adventures of Forager #1 - Gonna give this mini a try as I have heard good things.
Detective Comics #961
Hal & the GLC #25
Wildstorm #3
Wildstorm #4
Wildstorm #5
Wildstorm #6

Secret Empire #7 - Okay, I love the art that Sorrentino does, I do, but there are panels here, and over the last few issues, that I just don't like. It is really hard to tell what the heck he is trying to show us. And this is not due to some of his really nice panel designs, no, no, this is because he is not drawing what is inside the panel in a good way. Scenes with peoples back that take up 80% of the panel is not a good idea when the action is taking place in-front of said guy is just one example of about 20 panels, so far, that have really bugged me. Puches being thrown off panel or ... I have no idea what some of these "images" are. Again, I like the guy, but this is getting to be like looking at some of Ramos or Bachelo's more confusing panels at times. Those panels that you have to stare at and ask "okay, what is he trying to show me here?".
Just frustrating.
That said, yeah, I am enjoying this and the Cap tie-ins. The rest of the tie-ins are ... well  ... the usual stuff (except for Dr, Strange I hope, which is suppose to be pretty story inclusive.
Captain America (Sam) #24
Captain America (Steve) #19
Champions #9
Champions #10

Iron Fist #4
Iron Fist #5
Thanos #8
Thanos #9

Rai #2
Groo: Play of the Gods #1 - Because ... well, Groo!!!!
The Sovereigns #3
Shadows of the Grave #1
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:34:37 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:39:09 PM »

Bought the 5 Harbinger volumes with the big comixology discount!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 07:17:54 PM »

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I think you will like it, once you get past the first little bit of intro. It isn't as slow as X-O was (To get started I mean ... that book took a long time to really get going) but it is a slow burn at first.

It did seem a lot like old X-Men to me, so I hope I didn't enjoy it for that reason ONLY and I hope you can get into it as well.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »

Avengers 3.1

This was not a great mini series but it is pretty cool how it ... ? ended ?

It essentially comes around in a later issue of Avengers, which I thought was pretty cool way of installing a part of history into the main story that wasn't really there before.
 Smiley

We'll, I may not get to this one since you can't download it.  Had to email Marvel.  Doesn't work on the App nor the website.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »

Very interested in their reply. Especially if it isn't the computer generated "We received your email and are working to resolve the issue" bit
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 02:40:53 AM »

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I think you will like it, once you get past the first little bit of intro. It isn't as slow as X-O was (To get started I mean ... that book took a long time to really get going) but it is a slow burn at first.

It did seem a lot like old X-Men to me, so I hope I didn't enjoy it for that reason ONLY and I hope you can get into it as well.
 Smiley

I have no doubt I will. 3 issues in, and I see where the universe is beginning to unfold. WHICH MEANS I LOVE IT!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 02:49:31 AM »

As a note, I read

Green Arrow v6: Last Action Hero
So, Grell drew one very spiritual walking through the woods and mountain issue here, but it's mostly drawn by a Dennis Conwyn (think I got that right). So, it's an 80's comic, with a less than stellar super star on art. With reproduction value on some average art, and terrible coloring, this volume just doesn't look very good at all. However, Grell takes Ollie on his walk about to find himself, and it's a terrific volume. Finding friends in the IRA; and betrayal. Clashing history and industry, family versus business progress, and the loss of the past for the future of an African continent that can't keep up. Such. good. stuff.

On to more!!!

Comixology
Harbinger v1
Harbinger v2
Harbinger v3
Harbinger v4
Harbinger v5

Truth; I always thought it was labeled 'HarbRinger'  Cheesy

Unlimited
Gamora 2
Captain America Sam Wilson 18
USAvengers 2
Invincible Iron Man 3
Ultimates2 3
Mighty Captain Marvel 1
Amazing Spider-man 23 & Clone Conspiracy 4

DC Comics
Hal Jordan & GLC 24
Hal Jordan & GLC 25
Action 983
Action 984
Superman 26
Superman 27
Wonder Woman 26
Wonder Woman 27
Green Arrow 26
Green Arrow 27
Aquaman 26
Deathstroke 21
Super Son 6

Dark Horse
Rebels 5

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »

I have no doubt I will. 3 issues in, and I see where the universe is beginning to unfold. WHICH MEANS I LOVE IT!!!

'phew'

Sweet!!!
 Smiley

May as well update while I am here -

Bug: The Adventures of Forager #1
Detective Comics #961
Hal & the GLC #25
Wildstorm #3
Wildstorm #4
Wildstorm #5
Wildstorm #6

Secret Empire #7
Captain America (Sam) #24
Captain America (Steve) #19
Champions #9
Champions #10

Iron Fist #4
Iron Fist #5
- I think I am starting to like this Brisson writer guy. Good Danny story with just lots of F'n fighting  Grin
Thanos #8
Thanos #9

Rai #2
Rapture #3
Groo: Play of the Gods
The Sovereigns #3
Shadows of the Grave #1
- A cool horror anthology mini from one of the masters - Richard Corben

Okay, need to jump on some DC now!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:52:04 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »

Not getting much reading done this week.  The kid is off at grandma's so I've been binge watching Game of Thrones from the beginning.  I'm on episode 8 of season 2.  The wife has never watched it so it's fun watching with her.  Plus there is so much I had forgotten or didn't know was important at the time which now makes sense.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 04:17:36 PM »

Tell her as punishment for being so late to the party, she must now perform the Dothraki "Stallion Heart" ritual, eating of the horse heart.
 Cheesy

You can make it a tiny chicken heart ... if you are feeling kind.  Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »

Green Arrow v6: Last Action Hero

Comixology
Harbinger v1
Harbinger v2
Harbinger v3
Harbinger v4

Harbinger v5

Unlimited
Gamora 2
Captain America Sam Wilson 18
USAvengers 2
Invincible Iron Man 3
Ultimates2 3
Mighty Captain Marvel 1
Amazing Spider-man 23 & Clone Conspiracy 4

DC Comics
Hal Jordan & GLC 24
Hal Jordan & GLC 25

Action 983
Action 984
Superman 26
Superman 27
Wonder Woman 26
Wonder Woman 27
Green Arrow 26
Green Arrow 27
Aquaman 26
Deathstroke 21
Super Son 6

Dark Horse
Rebels 5

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 02:34:07 PM »

If only you had time to start Harbinger.
 Cheesy

Wow man, you're just busting through 'em, Jeff Jr.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »

Been a lot less sleeping at night, even with a youngin' wanting attention at 5:30 or 6 am!!

No naps for me either when Junior goes down; it's all about me reading!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 03:09:30 PM »

Did they include Harbinger Wars in those volumes? Or are you just skipping it and getting the left over info?

EDIT - Okay, I couldn't wait so I checked  Cheesy Looks like vol3 was the Harbinger Wars stuff. At least from their side. Which to be honest, as nice as it was to see both Stan's and Ray's (Bloodshot) different views by reading each title and the mini at the same time (which showed the escaping kids a tad more if I remember right ...? I think? Ha) ), it did really get repetitive ... for like 80% of it, so just seeing/reading one side at a time may have been much better

Man that was good stuff.

You get Armor Wars yet in your X-O reading or ... I guess it is still too early for that in the X-O book, huh? Although you may have gotten some of it from Unity ?? ... maybe??

Edit 2  Cheesy - Isn't this cover like the best Harby cover of them all? Just love that darn thing and want it on my wall!!!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:16:57 PM by Perry » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS