HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:28:36 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - July 19, 2017  (Read 5811 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 19, 2017, 10:28:19 AM »

Sooo, what'cha gonna read this week?

Top of the list is top of the list this week for me, I think  Smiley

Aquaman #26 - Sejic art and Abnett's writing from last couple issues make this my first read this week
Batman #27 - The War of Jokes and Riddles continues

Ultimates #9 - Has to be the second book after last issues amazing, crazy change to one certain cosmic character!!!
Astonishing X-Men #1 - Yeah, I gotta try it, right?
Mighty Thor #20 - Forgot I need to read this
Mighty Thor #21 - right after 20, I hope
Secret Empire #5
Secret Empire #6

Shaolin Cowboy #4
Secret Weapons #2 - If this issue is close to as good as the first ...
Rapture #3 - Back to back Valiant mini's
Batman 66' and the LoSH #1

Jean Grey #3
Jean Grey #4

and if there is time ... well, I was going to list a couple more, but if there is time I will just see where the mood takes me
 Grin
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:28:22 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »

Looking at your list, Perry, there should be NO reason you can't make it through those!   Wink

I'm going to try and catch up to "current" in Marvel Unlimited.  This list holds the remainder of my library there.  But I will bang out the ComiXology list first since I didn't finish it last week.

ComiXology
Letter 44 #2
Letter 44 #3
Letter 44 #4
Letter 44 #5
Letter 44 #6
Letter 44 #7
Letter 44 #8
Letter 44 #9
Letter 44 #10
Letter 44 #11
Letter 44 #12
Letter 44 #13
Batgirl & the Birds of Prey TPB Vol 1: Who is Oracle? - Collects issues #1-6 and the BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY: REBIRTH one-shot.
Trinity #2
Trinity #3
Trinity #4
Trinity #5
Trinity #6
Gamora #2 - Free on ComiXology Unlimited
Gamora #3 - Free on ComiXology Unlimited

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Inhumans 17
Thunderbolts 8
Star Wars 26
Spider-Man 11
Mighty Thor 14
Infamous Iron Man 3
Hulk 1
Extraordinary X-Men 17
Carnage 5
Spider-Man 2099 #19
Moon Knight 10
Hawkeye 2
Old Man Logan 16
Champions 4
Unworthy Thor 3
Spider-Man 12
Poe Dameron 10
Daredevil 15
Uncanny X-Men 17
Mighty Thor 15
Uncanny Avengers 19
Inhumans vs X-Men 2
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:08:33 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:26:56 PM »

Looking at your list, Perry, there should be NO reason you can't make it through those!   Wink

Well sure, to you it is nothing. You, being Mr. Reading Machine, could knock out my list before ice would melt in hot tea.
 Cheesy Cheesy

I'm close to starting to call you Johnny Storm because you 'be on fire'!!!
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:47:10 PM »

And with you guys and New Superman....I may try and read it now the next Comixology sale. Wink

That said, it's been Unlimited reading for lately (gotta see when I hit the LCS next...)

Unlimited
*new releases
Old Man Logan #16
Steve Rogers Captain America #9
IvX #2
Spider-man #12
Mighty Thor #15
Daredevil #15
Uncanny Avengers #19
Power Man & Iron Fist #12

Cable & Deadpool 30-34
Power Man & Iron Fist 54-57
Avengers West Coast (limited series 1985) 1-5, Regular series 15, VisionQuest & more
Captain Marvel (200) 13-14

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »

DISCUSSION!!!

Spider-Man 2099 #19 - So, I hear that the title is ending, which seems okay, as my interest in this, along with the quality, I believe, has really petered out.

Captain America Sam Wilson 17 - I liked this issue! I mean, sidekick Falcon is a bigger dweeb than I remember, but that's okay. Its fun to see Rage have big brother/mentor aspect to him. I mean, Rage? LOL

Unworthy Thor 3 - Oh, so good. Beta Ray, Odinson, ass-kicking, Coipiel on art? Bring it all!!

USAvengers1 - So, this new #1...hm...you know, not hating it! Kind of curious about it. I hate having the factor of any kind of Red Hulk around for a while, but I'm very intrigued from the get-go about this title happening. Ewing rights this, right? Not bad. Don't like seeing Cannonball going too far backwards in character; I like the team leader ass kicker, Cable's right hand man kind of Sam Guthrie. Not that I saw a lot here that says he's not.

Spider-Man #11, 12 - Damn you Bendis, that issue 12 with Spider-Gwen, so many damned panels of "No!" "yes!" "But why? I mean, no!" Nothing but an annoyance. Has been, always has been, and continues to be garbage in my eyes.

Old Man Logan #16 - This title can keep doing whatever it likes to do. That's fun for me. However, I find it so very jarring to see OML in any other actual Marvel line title. Just doesn't fit to me!

Steve Rogers Captain America #9 - You know, I like how Spencer is laying stuff out, but there's a part of me that wonders if the Hydra red pages of the 'revised' history got extended, or Spencer was told to drag it out. Because it feels draggged....ooooutt....tooooo....loooong.... OH yeah, we had to drag our feet through CWII slop, and then get all the books in a line wide order to get everyone into Secret Empire too.....I mean, completely on it's own, as a Cap title, yeah, I love seeing Cap screwed with by the Cube, love reading this character's machinations and works behind all scenes to further his own agenda, lying to so many, on so many levels-I find it damned good writing!! I really do!! Really makes me wonder where or how it will go!!  But then I know it goes to Secret Empire....and how's that going to end? Hmm...that's where I get doubts....

IvX #2 - Gah. This is still stupidly being made. ALL THE WHILE IN THE PAST. There are no figs flying around in Wisconsin for me to give this title or these events.

Mighty Thor #15 - Still great. Always great. And I'll say this, the conversation between Cul and Jane in the beginning is at the opposite end of the spectrum of dialogue writing as Miles and his friends from Spider-man 12. Here, it's engaging, witty, quick and fast with snappy smart repartee. Damned great book!!

Daredevil #15 - But damn, has Daredevil had a really, really GOOD run these last 3 years, to be honest. I mean, I still don't know how they white washed his identity away (I'm sure it'll be stupid, because that seems to be the only way they allow character shifts to happen), but ignoring that, what a cool issue as 'Seventh Day' arc begins here. (which, I"m sure I'll see it later, as that does reference the day as when God rested after creating everything, so what rest will be found by this arc's end? Hmm....)

Uncanny Avengers #19 - This Red Skull story, which more or less debuted after the middle clunkiness that was Axis for the Uncanny Avengers title, is the real main event of Marvel. OH, so damned good. So manipulative here! I'm having way too much fun reading this title each month-even with having DP on a team!

Power Man & Iron Fist #12 - I love that as I read PW & IF from the 70s, those characters and stories from the past are being referenced and used here by Walker in this current ongoing. That's damned good work. What an awesome foundation he's built into this title in his year, and it's really chugging along.

West Coast Avengers I did this reading because I had wanted to really see 'how it all began' with Wanda, and Vision, and that history. I had wanted to read through the Avengers from the start to see Wonder Man's first appearance, Ultron, the 1st apperance of Vision, etc etc. But....WCA starts around Avengers #250-254, and I"m at Avengers #84....so yeah, I went to WCA.  Grin Unfortunately, Unlimited doesn't have a lot of WCA for me to read, so more the pity. Because I love LOVE LOVE!!! the ridiculousness of the soap opera that is Wanda/Simon/Vision, Vision's history, origin, creation, hidden origin etc of all that. ALL THAT!! And you talk about art during VisionQuest? Art today can't even hold a stick up to John Bryne during his prime of unable to do wrong with a pencil. Unfortunately, I feel I have to wikipedia Vision to see how he got to the point he was at during Avengers AI and his 12 ish series.

I skipped out on reading All-New Wolverine, as that title has just gone away for me, and the Hulk second of 2 parts with basketball or something. Ugh. No thanks.

And yes Jeff, I am now current on Unlimited for the last 5 weeks now!! It took me so long to get back to this point!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:49:26 PM by Jimmy T » Logged

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:17:39 AM »

Vision & the Scarlet Witch 1-12

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »

Spider-Man #11, 12 - Damn you Bendis, that issue 12 with Spider-Gwen, so many damned panels of "No!" "yes!" "But why? I mean, no!" Nothing but an annoyance. Has been, always has been, and continues to be garbage in my eyes.

Cheesy
I totally skipped all ... three? issues of that crossover.
As I haven't read Spider-Gwen yet, I didn't want to be spoiled by anything that crossover could have revealed so I just didn't read any of it and came back to solo Miles at #15
 Smiley
Not that that helps you with the Bendis dialog that you love so much
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 01:27:59 AM »

Well sure, to you it is nothing. You, being Mr. Reading Machine, could knock out my list before ice would melt in hot tea.
 Cheesy Cheesy

I'm close to starting to call you Johnny Storm because you 'be on fire'!!!
 Cheesy Cheesy

I guess I'm not helping myself with this reputation.  I'm done with my ComiXology list!

ComiXology
Letter 44 #2
Letter 44 #3
Letter 44 #4
Letter 44 #5
Letter 44 #6
Letter 44 #7
Letter 44 #8
Letter 44 #9
Letter 44 #10
Letter 44 #11
Letter 44 #12
Letter 44 #13
Batgirl & the Birds of Prey TPB Vol 1: Who is Oracle? - Collects issues #1-6 and the BATGIRL AND THE BIRDS OF PREY: REBIRTH one-shot.
Trinity #2
Trinity #3
Trinity #4
Trinity #5
Trinity #6

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Inhumans 17
Thunderbolts 8
Star Wars 26
Spider-Man 11
Mighty Thor 14
Infamous Iron Man 3
Hulk 1
Extraordinary X-Men 17
Carnage 5
Spider-Man 2099 #19
Moon Knight 10
Hawkeye 2
Old Man Logan 16
Champions 4
Unworthy Thor 3
Spider-Man 12
Poe Dameron 10
Daredevil 15
Uncanny X-Men 17
Mighty Thor 15
Uncanny Avengers 19
Inhumans vs X-Men 2

EDIT:  Removed Uncanny Avengers 19.  That was there to remind me to pick the series back up from where I left off to give it a second chance.  Didn't mean to include it this week.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:33:39 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:54:16 AM »

Not that that helps you with the Bendis dialog that you love so much
 Cheesy

You at least do see it when I give great props to when he writes good and great dialogue (Infamous Iron Man).

This lazy tween trap-shit he's been milking for a decade with his Ultimate Spider-boy is such shit. I consider it a waste of panels, talent, and money for people who pay to feel something happened. ugh.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »

You at least do see it when I give great props to when he writes good and great dialogue (Infamous Iron Man).

This lazy tween trap-shit he's been milking for a decade with his Ultimate Spider-boy is such shit. I consider it a waste of panels, talent, and money for people who pay to feel something happened. ugh.

Well sure I see when you give him credit  Smiley

Im just having fun.

Even though I don't agree with you in the effectiveness or validity of his writing "style", as I like his writing for the most part, the reason I post stuff like that is purely an attempt at being a tad humorous on your feelings of his writing ... at times.
 Smiley

Not getting on you as a Bendis hater, man. Not trying to poke at ya, just stating some funny, factual reply.
 Smiley
Or not funny it seems
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »

Well sure I see when you give him credit  Smiley

Im just having fun.

Even though I don't agree with you in the effectiveness or validity of his writing "style", as I like his writing for the most part, the reason I post stuff like that is purely an attempt at being a tad humorous on your feelings of his writing ... at times.
 Smiley

Not getting on you as a Bendis hater, man. Not trying to poke at ya, just stating some funny, factual reply.
 Smiley
Or not funny it seems
 Grin

Whoops. I didn't put any emojis up in my post. Seems to be a bit of an asshole comment from yours truly, and I really didn't mean it that. No slights meant, it was supposed to be all in good nature, all clean fun.  Smiley

Sorry.  Embarrassed

Kiss

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 09:41:02 PM »

Whoops. I didn't put any emojis up in my post. Seems to be a bit of an asshole comment from yours truly, and I really didn't mean it that. No slights meant, it was supposed to be all in good nature, all clean fun.  Smiley

Sorry.  Embarrassed

Kiss

Tis all good, that's why I put plenty in mine.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Seriously, I didn't take it as a personal thing. I know your thoughts on Bendis at times can get the best of ya
 Grin Grin

We good Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 09:35:50 PM »

Slow and steady

Aquaman #26 - Just really into this book now
Batman #27 - Wow, an interesting origin story for a unexpected character  Smiley

Ultimates #9 - Looks like this will be ending next issue with issue #100 (yeah, whatever)
Astonishing X-Men #1 - Much better than  had thought it was going to be. On board
Mighty Thor #20
Mighty Thor #21 - Holy cow, War Thor!?! And who War Thor is?!?!  Shocked Fantastic
Secret Empire #5
Secret Empire #6
- Man this series is so much better when you read in chunks. I think when it is time for you MU guys to start reading this, you should wait and when them when they are all out or at least in three issue bits. It just reads so much better back to back!!!

Shaolin Cowboy #4 - Hahaha, man this was fun. And that cover? Nunchuck dogs? Cheesy
Secret Weapons #2 - EDIT - One more to go ... but I doubt I will get to it tonight  Sad
Rapture #3
Batman 66' and the LoSH #1 - Was fun, sure, but, meh

Jean Grey #3
Jean Grey #4
- Somehow I got sidetracked onto this title instead of reading the two Valiant titles. DOH!! Still a good book, but may drop it now that Astonishing was so good.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:53:28 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »

Done!

ComiXology
Letter 44 #2
Letter 44 #3
Letter 44 #4
Letter 44 #5
Letter 44 #6
Letter 44 #7
Letter 44 #8
Letter 44 #9
Letter 44 #10
Letter 44 #11
Letter 44 #12
Letter 44 #13
Batgirl & the Birds of Prey TPB Vol 1: Who is Oracle?
Trinity #2
Trinity #3
Trinity #4
Trinity #5
Trinity #6

Marvel Unlimited
Uncanny Inhumans 17
Thunderbolts 8
Star Wars 26
Spider-Man 11
Mighty Thor 14
Infamous Iron Man 3
Hulk 1
Extraordinary X-Men 17
Carnage 5
Spider-Man 2099 #19
Moon Knight 10
Hawkeye 2
Old Man Logan 16
Champions 4
Unworthy Thor 3
Spider-Man 12
Poe Dameron 10
Daredevil 15
Uncanny X-Men 17
Mighty Thor 15
Inhumans vs X-Men 2

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »

Sweet, man.  Smiley

Like I suspected, I missed mine by one. Fell asleep reading it last night at page 2 I think  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS