HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 07:52:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HARBINGER: RENEGADES  (Read 9468 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 16, 2017, 05:59:40 AM »

Issue #5 -

For any of us that has kept up with the Harbinger team and the young group (Generation Zero) that they freed from Project Rising Spirit back in Vegas with Harbinger Wars, watching them being chased by the H.A.R.D Corps, hot on their ass, let me just say that reading this issue, this issue number five, left my face like this

Shocked

HOLY HELL!!!!

I hope you guys have plans on reading this when it hits in trades, but I really hope you have kept up or will get caught up on all three teams prior. You guys read Harbinger Wars, a lot of this history there, but that Generation Zero title that I struggled though, even though it only lasted about seven issues ... man I am so glad I read that now, because this issue was ... Yep

Shocked

This issue was, well, again, I can only say

Shocked Shocked

Man, I am back in love with Harbinger again
 Cheesy

EDIT - Just check out what some peeps are saying about this issue HERE thought I wouldn't read past what they are saying in the bullet points on this page (don't click to see more of any review) for fear of spoilage, and you really don't want to be spoiled here. You want to read this issue, if you have been following the teams involved here. And you really should have been/becoming ready to follow the teams here. For this issue if nothing else.
 Smiley

Even still ...
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:10:18 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 06:11:21 AM »

Issue #5 -

For any of us that has kept up with the Harbinger team and the young group (Generation Zero) that they freed from Project Rising Spirit back in Vegas with Harbinger Wars, watching them being chased by the H.A.R.D Corps, hot on their ass, let me just say that reading this issue, this issue number five, left my face like this

Shocked

HOLY HELL!!!!

I hope you guys have plans on reading this when it hits in trades, but I really hope you have kept up or will get caught up on all three teams prior. You guys read Harbinger Wars, a lot of this history there, but that Generation Zero title that I struggled though, even though it only lasted about seven issues ... man I am so glad I read that now, because this issue was ... Yep

Shocked

Shocked Shocked

Cheesy

EDIT - Just check out what some peeps are saying about this issue HERE though I wouldn't read past what they are saying in the bullet points on this page (don't click to see more of any review) for fear of spoilage, and you really don't want to be spoiled here. You want to read this issue, if you have been following the teams involved here. And you really should have been/becoming ready to follow the teams here. For this issue if nothing else.
 Smiley

Even still ...
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »

I was caught up on Valiant as of six months ago.  Now I'm behind again.  Been trying to catch up on DC but the Valiant universe is calling me.  Might have to switch back over and get caught up again!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »

I'm getting...somewhere...

I had to back back back to other books (I have no Harbringer or HARDCorps books at all!), but I'm mostly all the way up to Book of Death and beyond on my main readers (except for XO manowar. Getting his deluxe editions).

And not even a peek yet at 4001. What a great thing; to be behind!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:25 PM »

As for 4001 -
I have to go back and see if you have read Rai, Jimmy, but if not, I strongly suggest you do so before starting 4001. But then again, maybe Jeff, the only one here that I know of to have read it, can give a different answer, but I think, I would tend to believe, that you would need/want a little background into the society, the characters and that world before diving into a mini-series so heavily based on it.

But again, I could be wrong and hopefully I am  Cheesy

As for HARD Corps -
They had a brief stint in the first Bloodshot series (well, the first of THIS incarnation of Valiant ... V.E. - Valiant Entertainment ... not the 90's stuff). The series before the Bloodshot: Reborn stuff. In fact, at issue ... #17 or so of that first Bloodshot series, it was re-titled BLOODSHOT and H.A.R.D Corps. Other than that and being in the Harbinger Wars (A MUST read for Valiant readers) they have had little exposure. But you do get a good bit of feeling of the team and how they work in that Bloodshot series and/or Harbinger Wars.

Harbinger is well, it is another of the four flagship Valiant titles so I believe, especially if you like Harada, you really should pick up that title and start from the beginning, before "Renegades", but then again I am sure you can work around it if you want to.

All that said, if you want the impact that Harbinger: Renegades delivers, I strongly suggest taking the time and reading at least the last few issues of the Harbinger series, Harbinger Wars mini and Harbinger: Renegades 1-4
 Smiley

EDIT -
Oh, and the four main books of Valiant, the ones everyone should read (or at least try) -
X-O Manowar
Harbinger
Bloodshot
Ninjak

You stick to those and you have the Valiant Universe for the most part. Sure there are others that are great as well, like Jeff's love of the first Archer and Armstrong, Eternal Warrior and our beloved Timewalker (so good) or of course Rai (That I am just now starting so yes, to quote and agree with you, being behind is a great thing  Cheesy) and sure there have been a couple missteps along the way (Shadowman), but all the great Mini's that make this company so fun is another fantastic thing. Unity, Savage, Divinity, etc...

Yep, Man what fun

And oh yeah, I forgot about Quantum and Woody
 Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:57:45 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:27:36 PM »

As for 4001 -
I have to go back and see if you have read Rai, Jimmy, but if not, I strongly suggest you do so before starting 4001. But then again, maybe Jeff, the only one here that I know of to have read it, can give a different answer, but I think, I would tend to believe, that you would need/want a little background into the society, the characters and that world before diving into a mini-series so heavily based on it.

But again, I could be wrong and hopefully I am  Cheesy

4001 AD is the wrap up for the RAI series.  I wouldn't recommend reading it until you've read RAI first.  In fact, I would say DON'T read it until after RAI.   Wink

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »

Dammit, Jeff!! I just got XOManowar deluxe vol 2, I still need the HC of Armor Hunters, then vol 3 of X-O, and now I have to get all of Rai yet?

Damned first world problems of entertainment!!!

Grin

NOT TOO mention that I have none of the Harbringer Wars yet!

Dammit!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »

LOL  Cheesy

Sorry Jimmy but if you read 4001 AD first you would A) have no idea what's going on and B) completely spoil RAI.

Even though they make it look like a crossover it's not.  It's the end of the RAI story that has built up in the series.  The "crossover" issues are part of the story but just show you glimpses of what has happened to those characters by 4001.  I did like how they enriched the core story without just being a money grab.

Dammit, Jeff!! I just got XOManowar deluxe vol 2, I still need the HC of Armor Hunters, then vol 3 of X-O, and now I have to get all of Rai yet?

The good news is your future reading pleasure is very bright!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 03:15:21 AM »

I'm not going to lie; it hurt like hell to buy all of Harbinger in digital format instead of paper copies. Been LOVIN' getting the Deluxe Editions of XOManowar. All the editions of my favorites along the way; Bloodshot Reborn, Imperium, Unity, Ninjak, Ivar, Divinity.

But, I did it...so I could read it...for cheaper...

...which means I've freed myself some, and that I can get Rai's 4 volumes (which includes 4001AD) digitally as well.

OH, I'll still keep up with this first volume of X-O as all Deluxe HC, and I'll still probably trade all my faves, but I can digital with some of the other stuff to keep reading on what I'm beginning to feel is

THE BEST DAMNED COMIC COMPANY RIGHT NOW.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »

Making a ... lasting or loving (?...Cheesy Cheesy) relationship with digital can be a tough thing to do, but like you said, when it allows you to buy so much more that you want to read, why not? True, you don't get the showy shiny shelf smorgasbord (ten time fast, go ahead  Cheesy) but again like you said, you can always go back and get the ones you really enjoy and add them to your collection later. All the time saving money on the ones you find ... less than worthy of highlighting in book form.

Plus it is so much easier to read the next one when you are laying in bed in the middle of the night just swiping right to left like some addicted sex maniac on Tinder.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Now if they would stop the ridiculous pricing of most digital comics and ... you know, never-mind. I just spent way to much on digital as it is. If they decided to start selling current or at least more lots for cheaper, I would be broke.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 06:02:03 PM »

Issue #5 -

Shocked

HOLY HELL!!!!

Shocked

Shocked Shocked

Cheesy

Holy sheep sh!t!!!!!!

So glad I finished Generation Zero before reading this.

I’m totally blown away!!!!

I can’t wait to dig into Secret Weapons now.  This company just keeps knocking it out of the park.  Amazing issue that will kick off everything in this universe for the next year!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 01:25:44 AM »

Dammit! I'm so behind, and now I hear Generation 0 is worth it? Dammit!! So much to read and buy! (I'm still back at having finished Book of Death--I know, I know!!)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 03:12:48 AM »

Dammit! I'm so behind, and now I hear Generation 0 is worth it? Dammit!! So much to read and buy! (I'm still back at having finished Book of Death--I know, I know!!)

I don’t know if I’d say Generation Zero is “worth it” but you’ve got to read it before you get to Renegades issue 5.  Well, I guess you don’t HAVE to but you will enjoy it so much more if you do.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »

Exactly! Generation Zero is not by any means a "must read" ... or hell even a "should read" if I'm honest (yes, the rare Valiant misstep), but to get the full PUNCH that is Renegades #5, and man it was a great punch, you would need to know at least a little bit from it.
It is one of the times Comics tend to prove just how good a shared universe can be, while at the very same time showing how comics can be completely less effective if you don't "read everything" a company pushes.

Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS