HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:38:38 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kung Fu Panda 4 premieres in theaters March 8, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - July 12, 2017  (Read 6430 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: July 12, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »

I could have sworn I saw this thread already created, but either I am wrong and just imaged it or Jeff decided to change his list and it was easier to just delete the thread. Sadly, with my drug use, it could easily be the former.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Okay, what I am going to try and get through this week -

Dark Days the Casting #1 - the second prequel to DC's epic Metal story line that I am so excited for
New Super-Man #13 - I still enjoy this damn book. So under-rated. Here's your diversity people!!! Read it!!
Hal and the GLC #23 - Last issues final page has me wanting to dig in
Hal and the GLC #24 - still going or new arc? No idea, but I will try to read it  Grin

Spider-Men 2 #1 - Miles and Peter 4 issue mini. Yep, yep, yep (though I may wait for all 4 issues ... so maybe not)
Uncanny Avengers #25 - One of those few good Marvel titles being published and a surprise to me how fun it is.
Jean Grey #4 - The best X Book hands down. Another shocker that I feel that way, had no interest originally, but it is.
Defenders #3 - A really good book. Bendis knows these characters (well, maybe not great with Danny) and writes them well

Mage: The Hero Defined #0 - Mage, one of the lauded creator owned series from the 80s, returns for the final 16 issues
Unholy Grail #1 - King Arthur book but with demons? By Bunn? Sure!!!
Rai #2 - Gonna try and knock out another issue of this title I've been trying to read for years
Dread Gods #1 - Ron Marz's most recent creator owned project. Have to try for old those old GL and Scion comics sake.
Shaolin Cowboy (v54  Cheesy Wink) #1 - Gonna try and bust out the first Shaolin Cowboy series as I have been loving the newest mini series. If you haven't tried this title and you are a fan of detailed art, you must, must, must look into this comic. So visually stunning in stylized detail. I know that word "stylized" can scare some people off, but I mean that in a good way, not the "what the hell am I looking at?" way
 Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:58:01 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »

I could have sworn I saw this thread already created, but either I am wrong and just imaged it or Jeff decided to change his list and it was easier to just delete the thread. Sadly, with my drug use, it could easily be the former.
 Cheesy Cheesy

You must have been thinking of last weeks.  Lol.  I hadn't got to it yet.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 04:30:06 PM »

Uncanny Avengers #25 - One of those few good Marvel titles being published and a surprise to me how fun it is.

I thought you hated this when it first came out?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »

Here's my list for the week.

ComiXology
Action Comics TPB Vol 3:  Men of Steel - Collects #967-972
Aquaman 24
Aquaman 25
Dark Days: The Casting 1
Letter 44 #2
Letter 44 #3
Letter 44 #4
Letter 44 #5
Letter 44 #6
Letter 44 #7
Letter 44 #8
Letter 44 #9
Letter 44 #10
Letter 44 #11
Letter 44 #12
Letter 44 #13
New Super-Man TPB Vol 1:  Made in China - Collects #1-6
Ragnarok 2
Ragnarok 3

Marvel Unlimited
Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (1974) #20 - Cover says "EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: CHUCK NORRIS MARTIAL ARTS SUPER-STAR!"
Unworthy Thor 2
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 1
Champions 3
Spider-Man 10 - Civil War II Tie-In
Poe Dameron 9
Inhumans vs X-Men 1
Hawkeye 1
Uncanny X-Men 16 - I vs X Tie-In
Star Wars: Doctor Aphra 2
Gamora 1
Civil War II #8
Avengers 2.1
Doctor Strange 15
Thanos 2
Ultimates 2 #2
Squadron Supreme 14
Invincible Iron-Man 2

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »

I thought you hated this when it first came out?

Yep, hated that Cap gave Deadpool an Avengers card.

Dave told me to try it again, I did grudgingly, and have been a fan since issue 8 or so? Back when I was trying to find out who/what the deal was with that IA on Cable shoulders
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »

Dark Days the Casting #1 - WOW!!!! This is huge guys!!!
New Super-Man #12
New Super-Man #13
- The art is really killing me. Not terrible, just not the same feeling or vibe  Undecided
Hal and the GLC #23
Hal and the GLC #24

Amazing Spider-Man #29 - Added this title to peak in once more.
Amazing Spider-Man #30 - And I think I am done with all S.E tie-ins. But I am an Immonen fan
Spider-Men 2 #1
Uncanny Avengers #24
Uncanny Avengers #25
Jean Grey #3
Jean Grey #4
Defenders #3

Mage: The Hero Defined #0 - Hmmm, I don't know, the time may have past, but will try issue #1
Unholy Grail #1 - Interesting enough for an issue two read
Rai #2
Dread Gods #1
Harbinger: Renegades #5

Shaolin Cowboy #1
Shaolin Cowboy #2
Shaolin Cowboy #3
Shaolin Cowboy #4
- Just incredible art with so much detail, most of which is just crazy  
Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:49:58 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (1974) #20 - Cover says "EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: CHUCK NORRIS MARTIAL ARTS SUPER-STAR!"

I picked this up just b/c the cover cracked me up.  And it was definitely a fun trip into the past.  

One of the first thing's I noticed was that this book was 50 PAGES FOR $1!!  Man how times have changed.  These days you could be only getting 36 pages for $4.

Now inside you get what felt like a very long Iron Fist story by....drum roll....Chris Claremont!  And I say long by amount of content not that it was boring.  It was a fun read and I also noticed that Marv Wolfman was a consulting editor on the book (Way before his New Teen Titans days).

The Chuck Norris article was an article about Chuck's beginning's which is funny since he looks SO YOUNG and he has come a loooooong way since 1976.

The cool thing in this issue are a couple of photo's of Chuck hanging out at Marvel.  Stan Lee is almost unrecognizable if it weren't for those glasses.

And even crazier!  Chuck and a very much alive Jack Kirby!  Seems like he has been gone for as far back as I can remember.

I'm not planning on going back and reading a bunch of these old issues but I can recommend dipping your toe into this one just for nostalgia's sake.  And an interesting Iron Fist story.   Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »

Man I remember loving all those old Curtis mags. I had about 4 of the Deadly Hands ones. I don't remember the one here, so I guess I didn't have this one, but man they were so great and like you said, had so much value for the buck!!!

Those Rampaging Hulks one were cool too as was, of course, Savage Tales (Savage Sword), Planet of the Apes and my ... yes my  Grin Doc Savage ones.

It was how Marvel avoided the Comics Code Authority back in the day as the Code didn't include magazines  Wink

Crap, Ya know, I have been starting to think about collecting again. Maybe those Curtis Mags would be a good place to start.
Hmmmmmm
 Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »

Spider-Man 2099 19
Captain America Sam Wilson 17
Unworthy Thor 3
USAvengers1
Spider-Man 11

And oldies and goodies

Captain Marvel (2000) 12
Power Man & Iron Fist 52-53
Cable Deadpool 24-29

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 02:47:06 AM »

Also, with the Instock 3% loyalty sale Friday and Saturday, I bought:

Saga Deluxe vol2
X-o Manowar Dlx vol2 as well!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 10:55:45 AM »

Really thinking about scaling way back on the amount of new comics I read. Not saying I will be successful  Cheesy, heck this idea may not make it through today ... or this morning even  Cheesy, but would like to  try and get it to where I am only reading about 5 comics per B2 company, the uber important titles (just to stay abreast of the universes), drop a lot of the mini's I have been trying to stay up to date on and then start working on all these older titles I want so much to read. Stuff Like Astro City, Rai and countless others that are just waiting for me and also some rereads of some older stuff like all those LoSH issues.

There is just not enough comic reading time in the day for me and all I do is get further and further behind
 Undecided

Oh well, will give it more thought later
 Smiley

Dark Days the Casting #1
New Super-Man #12
New Super-Man #13
Hal and the GLC #23
Hal and the GLC #24

Batman - Elmer Fudd Special  Smiley

Amazing Spider-Man #29
Amazing Spider-Man #30
Spider-Men 2 #1
Uncanny Avengers #24
Uncanny Avengers #25

Jean Grey #3
Jean Grey #4
Defenders #3

Mage: The Hero Defined #0
Unholy Grail #1
Rai #2
Dread Gods #1
 -  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW, WOW, WOW
Shaolin Cowboy #1
Shaolin Cowboy #2
Shaolin Cowboy #3
Shaolin Cowboy #4

Wife is on vacation this week so I will either be spending a lot of time with her and have no time to read or, well, obviously the reverse of that is, I will have loads of time as she will be helping during the day, freeing up more time for me.
We will see which option wins
 Grin
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:47:12 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:48:52 PM »

Got through the Marvel stuff.  Should get completely caught up w/ MU next week.

ComiXology
Action Comics TPB Vol 3:  Men of Steel - Collects #967-972
Aquaman 24
Aquaman 25
Letter 44 #2
Letter 44 #3
Letter 44 #4
Letter 44 #5
Letter 44 #6
Letter 44 #7
Letter 44 #8
Letter 44 #9
Letter 44 #10
Letter 44 #11
Letter 44 #12
Letter 44 #13
New Super-Man TPB Vol 1:  Made in China - Collects #1-6
Ragnarok 2
Ragnarok 3

Marvel Unlimited
Unworthy Thor 2
Champions 3
Poe Dameron 9
Inhumans vs X-Men 1
Hawkeye 1
Gamora 1
Civil War II #8
Avengers 2.1
Doctor Strange 15
Thanos 2
Ultimates 2 #2
Squadron Supreme 14
Invincible Iron-Man 2

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 10:15:18 AM »

Darn it, only got one ore (Jean Grey) issue knocked out from the list, although I I did get through Ultimates as well though little else, but still, not a bad week
 Smiley

Dark Days the Casting #1
New Super-Man #12
New Super-Man #13
Hal and the GLC #23
Hal and the GLC #24

Batman - Elmer Fudd Special  Smiley

Amazing Spider-Man #29
Amazing Spider-Man #30
Spider-Men 2 #1
Uncanny Avengers #24
Uncanny Avengers #25
Jean Grey #3

Jean Grey #4
Defenders #3
Ultimates #8 - Another great, Cosmic to the Nth degree issue!!!

Mage: The Hero Defined #0
Unholy Grail #1
Rai #2
Dread Gods #1
 -  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW, WOW, WOW
Shaolin Cowboy #1
Shaolin Cowboy #2
Shaolin Cowboy #3
Shaolin Cowboy #4

Think I will wait on Spider-Men II until I can read the first series now that I think about it.

Onto this week!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:19:37 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »

Didn't get to the Letter 44 comics but did finish everything else.  Not bad actually when you consider the number of issues in the collected editions.

ComiXology
Action Comics TPB Vol 3:  Men of Steel - Collects #967-972
Aquaman 24
Aquaman 25

Letter 44 #2
Letter 44 #3
Letter 44 #4
Letter 44 #5
Letter 44 #6
Letter 44 #7
Letter 44 #8
Letter 44 #9
Letter 44 #10
Letter 44 #11
Letter 44 #12
Letter 44 #13
New Super-Man TPB Vol 1:  Made in China - Collects #1-6
Ragnarok 2
Ragnarok 3

Marvel Unlimited
Unworthy Thor 2
Champions 3
Poe Dameron 9
Inhumans vs X-Men 1
Hawkeye 1
Gamora 1
Civil War II #8
Avengers 2.1
Doctor Strange 15
Thanos 2
Ultimates 2 #2
Squadron Supreme 14
Invincible Iron-Man 2

Like Perry - on to the next week!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »

Not bad actually when you consider the number of issues in the collected editions.

I would say so  Smiley
Jeez

Oh, hey, were you able to get into New Supes or did it not hit for you? Just curious of the "jerk" main character caused a bad reaction for you.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS