HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:34:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Marvel Legacy  (Read 22548 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 09:36:48 PM »

I'm at work and the phone cuts out my longer posts.

It doesn't want you talking here!!!! Throw out that phone Grin

But yes, DC can just as easily price me out

Sure, sure. I got ya. $3.99 is your stopping point. But are you going to drop Deathstroke? Don't do that!! You have to have some leeway
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 11:48:15 PM »

Well, not all $3.99 is an auto drop point. It just makes me really considering keeping it.

Look at Super Sons. That's $3.99. I really, really have to keep enjoying it, and liking where it's going to keep it up.

The other thing is also this: if I'm getting so many 3.99 books...then I'll also find one to drop. I'll squeeze out books on my own.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 11:55:51 PM »

Also, growing up a DC guy? I read my mom's 40 or so leftover and battered World's Finest and Action and Superman comics from the 60's (with some LoSH in there too!).

But my first comic, and comics, were all Spider-man/Amazing Spider-man. That's all I collected: Amazing, Web of, Spectacular too for 3 years only.

I only bought Superman comics after 'Death of'

I bought into X-men with AoA-where I got all of them.

I got Hulk in the last 2 years of PAD's career.

I got into Batman during Knightfall.

I didn't touch GL until....the very last year of Kyle as primary. I came full on with Rebirth.

I didn't buy Flash until Geoff Johns was there a year.

Iron Man? Not until 2 years after Heroes Reborn. Same with Cap, and Avengers.

Hell, if not for Wizard magazine and the Realm, I wouldn't have bought anything but Spider-man, and X-men, with Superman there too.

I would have been labeled a Marvel guy way more heavily than a DC guy for most of me time growing up.

What influenced me to be more of a DC homer?

Joe Quesada.

I just read his comments, and he seemed such an ass. OH, he believed he was digging into the Distinguished Competition like Stan Lee did, but Stan was friends with them. I don't believe that of Joe Q at all. He mostly always came off as a prick to me, and well, that influenced me as well.

But that was just other stuff I felt like bringing up. I

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 12:36:08 AM »

Cool
More later. Gotta go.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 12:27:13 AM »

Just saw the creative team for the new Falcon comic coming from Marvel during their "Legacy" spiel and I think it is a perfect example of what I was complaining about earlier.

FALCON #1
Written by RODNEY BARNES Penciled by JOSHUA CASSARA

Written by who? (I know who he is, now, after looking up the name, but do most comic fans? Is he going to pull them in?)

and then ... Art by who?

Oh, and here I thought you may have learned a lesson  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy So yeah, Look for Falcon to last 8 issues.

Marvel, why even bother if you're not gonna try?
 Roll Eyes   

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 02:27:59 AM »

Oh, I did the perfect "Who???!" when I saw this.

Okay, prolific writer with lots of screen cred. Cool. Will that make this title last? Hmm...that's the big question mark.

And Cassara? Not a name I know, not art I know. Not saying he's bad, but...I know nothing of him, so that doesn't make me go 'yeah, bring it!!'

I only know things about them because I googled.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »

And we both know having your readers do a little homework before they buy is how you get them on a book.  Cheesy

How many people are going to jump on because it is -

- A Marvel #1
- A Falcon Book
- The writer
- The artist

Again, I know you have to put books out to give them a chance, I get that, but when you are pushing almost 100 books a month, I think you are doing plenty, (just because the Legacy list is "53"  Roll Eyes titles, they are still more comics not on that list that will be coming out) more than enough 'experimental pieces'
 Angry

Marvel should publish around 50 titles a month, maybe 60 something, at most, 40 something at best. I think I will come up with a list now. Ya know, why not.
 Cheesy
Of course I will do that list but I am not about to start listing creators. Other than a couple names here and there, I have no idea who Marvel has on payroll now.
 Undecided

EDIT - I just wrote down 44 titles right off the top of my head. I think it is a good list, but I think it does need a little more diversity (ugh, I hate that word now. Not the concept or idea, just the overused word). It also has pure wish titles that I know would never happen, so yes, I am cheating (Micronauts anyone?  Grin)
Time to take dog to the dog park, but I will return with my list.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:52:05 AM by Perry » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 01:20:31 PM »

Okay, my (super)fast list of titles Marvel should publish and a couple I wish they could  Cheesy

(HERO)
Avengers - Thor, Iron Man, Steve Cap, Vision, Wanda, Wasp, Hank
Defenders - current group of Luke, Danny, Jessica and Matt. The Netflix team (this was a good comic)
Thor - the actual one
Cap - Stave
Iron Man - Tony
Hulk - Banner
She-Hulk - Jenn
Black Panther
Moon Knight
Daredevil
Ant-Man

(SPIDER-MAN)
Amazing Spider-Man - Peter
Spectacular Spider-Man - Miles
Spider-Woman
Venom
and a series of mini's with rotating Spider related stuff (IE - issues 1-4 Black Cat story, issues 5-10 Peter story)

(X-MEN)
Uncanny X-Men - Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Beast, Kitty, Ice-Man, etc ...
X-Men - The young group
New X-Men - or some other title with more of the school as focus
Wolverine
Deadpool
and a series of mini's with rotating X related stuff (IE - issues 1-3 a Cable story, issues 4-9 Psylocke story ...)

(COSMIC)
Guardians of the Galaxy
Inhumans
Silver Surfer
Nova (and or Quasar)
and the god-damn FANTASTIC FOUR!!!

(DARK-SIDE)
Dr. Strange
Ghost Rider
Punisher
and a series of mini's with rotating dark/evil stuff (IE 1-6 Man-Thing story, issues 7-10 Son of Satan story)

(OTHER ... things that would fail pretty quick, but I love the idea of having)
Marvel Team-Up or Two-in-One ... which I am super excited for that title when it hits
Marvel Spotlight - another rotating mini series with D list characters. Like Black Knight for a couple issues
WWII title - I know it would fail, but damn it, I love me some WWII comics. Invaders or Sgt Fury type!!!)
Ka-Zar - bring back the jungle action!!!
Western title - another would fail in 2 issues, but yeah, Two-Gun Kid and Kid Colt were cool to me as a kid

(Super Cheap titles to get kids into the world of comics and/or Schoolastic reading)
Squirrel-Girl
Moon Girl and Devil Dinasaur
Spidey
Avengers
Gravity ... remember him?

Dreaming of if only they could bring back -
Alien Legion
Dreadstar
Micronauts
Rom

Man, I would go broke buying Marvel again ...   Wink
 Cheesy

I know I am forgetting a few titles, but again, this was just off top of my head.
What would you add or change?
 Smiley

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »

My thoughts on your list........

(HERO)
Avengers - Thor, Iron Man, Steve Cap, Vision, Wanda, Wasp, Hank --- Yes!
Defenders - current group of Luke, Danny, Jessica and Matt. The Netflix team (this was a good comic) --- Yes!
Thor - the actual one --- Yes!
Cap - Stave --- Yes! except I would have "Steve".  Grin
Iron Man - Tony --- Yes!
Hulk - Banner --- Yes!
She-Hulk - Jenn --- Yes!
Black Panther --- Yes!
Moon Knight --- Yes!
Daredevil --- Yes!
Ant-Man --- Yes!
I would probably add one or two female centered characters as well, like maybe Captain Marvel

(SPIDER-MAN)
Amazing Spider-Man - Peter --- Yes!
Spectacular Spider-Man - Miles --- Yes!
Spider-Woman --- Yes!
Venom why? This character is sooooo boring.  I'd say Carnage. That's a decent book.
and a series of mini's with rotating Spider related stuff (IE - issues 1-4 Black Cat story, issues 5-10 Peter story) Agreed
Also needs one more female lead book.  Maybe Spider Gwen?  I don't read that one so I don't know if it's any good or not.  Just a thought.

(X-MEN)
Uncanny X-Men - Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Beast, Kitty, Ice-Man, etc ... --- Yes!
X-Men - The young group I'd swap titles for this group of characters with New X-Men but I like.
New X-Men - or some other title with more of the school as focus with a different title but Yes!
Wolverine --- Yes!
Deadpool I don't read it but yes, you need this title.
and a series of mini's with rotating X related stuff (IE - issues 1-3 a Cable story, issues 4-9 Psylocke story ...) also agreee

(COSMIC)
Guardians of the Galaxy --- Yes! As long as someone better at cosmic stories is writing it.  Like Abnett/Lanning, Hickman, Starlin, or the person currently writing Ultimates.
Inhumans --- Yes!
Silver Surfer haven't really ever read any good solo stories for this character so don't know about this one.  Maybe a team book with all the old heralds?
Nova (and or Quasar) only if it's Richard!
and the god-damn FANTASTIC FOUR!!! --- Yes!

(DARK-SIDE)
Dr. Strange --- Yes!
Ghost Rider the guy in the car or the original?
Punisher --- Yes!
and a series of mini's with rotating dark/evil stuff (IE 1-6 Man-Thing story, issues 7-10 Son of Satan story) --- Yes!
I'd move Moon Knight into this category.

(OTHER ... things that would fail pretty quick, but I love the idea of having)
Marvel Team-Up or Two-in-One ... which I am super excited for that title when it hits --- Yes!
Marvel Spotlight - another rotating mini series with D list characters. Like Black Knight for a couple issues --- Yes!
WWII title - I know it would fail, but damn it, I love me some WWII comics. Invaders or Sgt Fury type!!!) --- would you go for a modern version? An Invaders or Sgt Fury type fighting in the Middle East?
Ka-Zar - bring back the jungle action!!! --- Lol.  Ok, I'd support it for you.
Western title - another would fail in 2 issues, but yeah, Two-Gun Kid and Kid Colt were cool to me as a kid --- Yes, this would fail but could be fun. Lol

(Super Cheap titles to get kids into the world of comics and/or Schoolastic reading) --- Absolutely and your titles are fine with me.
Squirrel-Girl
Moon Girl and Devil Dinasaur
Spidey
Avengers
Gravity ... remember him?

Dreaming of if only they could bring back -
Alien Legion --- No opinion.
Dreadstar --- Yes!
Micronauts --- Yes! Only if it's the 70's version with Bug, Marrionette, and crew.
Rom --- Yes!

Of course we have Micronauts and Rom now under a different publisher.  Micronauts started out good and then tanked thanks to the crossover.  Haven't tried Rom yet but it's in my library.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »

(X-MEN)
Uncanny X-Men - Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Beast, Kitty, Ice-Man, etc ... --- Yes!
X-Men - The young group I'd swap titles for this group of characters with New X-Men but I like.
New X-Men - or some other title with more of the school as focus with a different title but Yes!
Wolverine --- Yes!
Deadpool I don't read it but yes, you need this title.
and a series of mini's with rotating X related stuff (IE - issues 1-3 a Cable story, issues 4-9 Psylocke story ...) also agreee

I would also add an X-Force title with Cable as the leader.  Make it grittier the way Remender did back in the day.

I'd love to see this team:  Cable, Jaime Madrox, Layla Miller, Arch-Angel, Psylocke, Fantomex, and Monet.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:27:53 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »

I would probably add one or two female centered characters as well, like maybe Captain Marvel

Great call. Forgot about her book (easy to do when the character has been slaughtered by a certain event)  Angry

(SPIDER-MAN)
Venom why? This character is sooooo boring.  I'd say Carnage. That's a decent book.

Why? Because he sells and people, not you or I  Cheesy, seem to love this damn guy. I am not a fan, but as long as it sells more than the worst Marvel comic, it has to have a spot.
 Smiley

Ghost Rider the guy in the car or the original?

The car guy is not a Ghost Rider  Wink Wink Wink Grin Grin Grin. No matter what they say  Cheesy Bike all the way!!!  (except on the tv show where it worked better with the car)
The original guy on the horse called Ghost Rider is more Ghost Rider to me than that stupid ass car and helmet crap.
 Roll Eyes
(but in all fairness I love the look of that horse riding Ghost Rider sooooo much!!!

WWII title - I know it would fail, but damn it, I love me some WWII comics. Invaders or Sgt Fury type!!!) --- would you go for a modern version? An Invaders or Sgt Fury type fighting in the Middle East?

Not the same for me. WWII is the draw, again, for me. The greatest generation taking it to the most vile bad-guys in modern history. Middle East fighting gets too much into the religion or oil aspects too often.

Alien Legion --- No opinion.

Have you never read the old Marvel Epic Alien Legion titles? If not, search them out! Of course I have no idea if the hold up now or not  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy but man they were fun at the time.

Of course we have Micronauts and Rom now under a different publisher.  

Sadly in name only. Not the same. I tried both for a couple issues ... or at least one  Wink Cheesy ... and was not "smitten" by either. But glad the Micronauts held you for a few.

I would also add an X-Force title with Cable as the leader.  Make it grittier the way Remender did back in the day.

I'd love to see this team:  Cable, Jaime Madrox, Layla Miller, Arch-Angel, Psylocke, Fantomex, and Monet.

I like the team, and I guess you would cut the "blue" X-Men group? I just say that as if you add that title, we are already back up to 7 darn X books and that was the problem back then for me. You couldn't swing a cat without hitting an X book back in the late 80's
 Cheesy
 Grin Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2017, 03:51:37 AM »

Oh man, I'm nowhere near able to respond or add to this at all!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 04:54:02 PM »

I've been having a good laugh with bleeding cool and how they pick apart the  Legacy numbering Marvel is doing. What ridiculousness. I mean seriously, there isn't consistency across the board at all. But why? Set up The Legacy numbers near a milestone number to again boost a sales unit. Just stupid.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »

Set up The Legacy numbers near a milestone number to again boost a sales unit. Just stupid.

Come on now, jimmy, you know it is anything but stupid.

Wrong? Sure. Manipulative? you bet, but having fans see that whole number ending in 50 or 00 is true sales gold. They are going to work it however they can.

Just wait until when the Avengers movie is ready to come out and they return everything back to new #1's again
 Cheesy

and then of course, years down the road, when they need to again, back to the legacy numbers! And maybe they will add them all correctly this time?
 Roll Eyes

It's tiresome, but the way it is.

Hope all those stores that buy and buy and buy into this mess will find gainful employment elsewhere because they can't keep surviving falling into tricks like these and stay above water. They just can't. And Marvel, being such a HUGE proponent of the little comic shops, will continue to push this shit on them until the wise shop owners say "ENOUGH!"

But until then, until the dolts that are supporting what Marvel is doing stop supporting it ... well ... why would they change?
  Angry Angry Angry

Marvel has a lot of good stuff out right now, but it is washed away by the absolute horrible practices they continue to participate in actively.
 Undecided

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »

Oh., I'm so glad you're there as my editor and chief. Smiley

No, I do realize stupid was the wrong word. I would say " foolishly apparent" actually. It's simply a marketing move. I wouldn't say it's a bad idea I wouldn't say it's a good idea, but the execution of the idea apparently is going very poorly. It's cash grab, it's a sales Spike, its trying to get noticed. Because nothing else is really doing it for them.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS