HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 10:08:22 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Team/Era you just wish you could have back  (Read 9262 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: June 22, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »

Now, I don't mean that the duo gets back together now to try and recreate the magic.

What book/series/character/era do you wish you could have just a bit more from?

Take the Dark Phoenix Saga; John Byrne was gone after that; just imagine what another year of Claremont and Byrne could have been like?

How about more Priest Black Panther with Sal Velluto? (ok my fave here)

Micheline/Bright/Layton Iron Man?

PAD/Dale Keown Hulk?

George Perez/Perez Wonder Woman?

Waid/Ringo Flash?
 etc et cetera

For me, I dearly wish for the PAD/ChrisCross era of Captain Marvel (2000). Genis Vell, and his title, still remain as one of my all time favorite highlights of mixed comedy, action, snark, drama, and loss. I love this title to death. Rereading it right now.

The title didn't have great sales, came under fire when Bill Jemas said he could write better, PAD promoted the hell out of it, even had artists like Carlos Pacheco (non inking years though Sad ), Ivan Reis, and Aaron Lopresti on the title.

If I could somehow just have a time machine of that era of PAD/ChrisCross tell me another year or two...I'd be in heaven.

Is there any team/book creator team you would have just loved see do some more magic for you?

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »

Easy answer for me as it is (perhaps) the ONLY reason I am back to reading comics today. Who knows, I may have walked back into the LCS in another 5 years and something else grabbed my attention, but this is the comic and the team that returned my eyes to comics after all that 90's crap.

I wish that Bedard and Pelletier would come back for Negation.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 02:56:01 AM »

Mine would be Wolfman Perez Titans.  I was already reading Flash but this is what hooked me into comics.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »

Way too many great runs out there that i would loved to have seen extended

I would agree wholeheartedly with CapMarvel....great series.

For me and should it be obvious...i would have loved more Doug Moench/Bill Sienkiewicz MoonKnight.  That was the team (Pre MK#1 backups from Rampaging Hulk Magazine) that really got me actively collecting and searching out specific characters/creators

2nd would be Peter Gillis/Brent Anderson's Strikeforce: Moritori...it was such a departure from what was being presented and had a great twist for the consequences of power.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »

Easy answer for me as it is (perhaps) the ONLY reason I am back to reading comics today. Who knows, I may have walked back into the LCS in another 5 years and something else grabbed my attention, but this is the comic and the team that returned my eyes to comics after all that 90's crap.

I wish that Bedard and Pelletier would come back for Negation.

"Bohica..."

Man, I loved those 9 issues. Utterly to death. I wish that story could have had some kind of finish on it's own.

The pair have been united on the Hulk title, and Aquaman, but nothing came close to Bedard/Pelletier on Negation.

You know, I can remember you raving about this title, ptsteelers?

In fact, you are the reason I picked it up at issue 5. I went back and bought them all (except #2; that was gone or sold out at my LCS), and I never regretted it. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »

Mine would be Wolfman Perez Titans.  I was already reading Flash but this is what hooked me into comics.

This is continually on my trade buying wish list. I just haven't pulled the trigger for fear of not loving it enough because of it being dated and me being so much older now.

But....I think I still may get there at some point...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 02:16:06 PM »

Way too many great runs out there that i would loved to have seen extended

I would agree wholeheartedly with CapMarvel....great series.

For me and should it be obvious...i would have loved more Doug Moench/Bill Sienkiewicz MoonKnight.  That was the team (Pre MK#1 backups from Rampaging Hulk Magazine) that really got me actively collecting and searching out specific characters/creators

2nd would be Peter Gillis/Brent Anderson's Strikeforce: Moritori...it was such a departure from what was being presented and had a great twist for the consequences of power.

I have that MK in the Marvel Essentials..and if anything, I think it may honestly be better in the black and white on the newsprint paper to totally get all of Sienkiewicz' art. This is stuff that really holds up.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 03:25:44 PM »

This is continually on my trade buying wish list. I just haven't pulled the trigger for fear of not loving it enough because of it being dated and me being so much older now.

But....I think I still may get there at some point...

Let me ease your fears and say yes, it is dated.  Grin

However, I still enjoy it in the same way I can enjoy those pretty badly written Legion of Super-Heroes comics that I am such a fan of  Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »

PAD/Keown on Hulk

Perez/Wolman on Teen Titans

Byrne/Byrne on FF

Claremont/Byrne on X-Men

Michiline/McFarlane on Amazing Spidey

O'Neil/Adams on Green Lantern/Green Arrow

Grant/Breyfogle on Detective

Barr/Davis on Detective

That's just off the top of my head.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »

Man, forgot about that one.  Would love to find those old issues!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 06:31:30 PM »

PAD/Keown on Hulk

Perez/Wolman on Teen Titans

Byrne/Byrne on FF

Claremont/Byrne on X-Men

Michiline/McFarlane on Amazing Spidey

Grant/Breyfogle on Detective

Barr/Davis on Detective

That's just off the top of my head.

Cheater!!  Tongue

I have many times and eras I'd like to have back, but I want your favorite, above all others you'd love to see continue the magic you love most. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Right?

I didn't know we could name 983 of our favorite
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 03:17:28 AM »

sorry i didn't get the part where we couldn't choose that many.

Ok Ok, take out Grant/Breyfogle on detective.

Better? Tongue

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 03:18:32 AM »

in all seriousness, i would choose PAD/Keown on Hulk if only to see Keown on a monthly book again.

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »

Mary Jo Duffy/Kerry Gammill - Power Man and Iron Fist

Jim Owsley (Christopher Priest)/Mark Bright - Power Man and Iron Fist

Dennis O'Neil/various - Power Man and Iron Fist

Chris Claremont/John Byrne - Iron Fist

Roger Stern/John Romita Jr. - The Amazing Spider-Man

Doug Mahnke/John Arcudi - Major Bummer

Christopher Priest/Mark Bright - Quantum & Woody

various writers/Joe Bennett - Spider-Man Unlimited

John Ostrander/Pasqual Ferry - Heroes For Hire

Mark Gruenwald/Ron Lim - Captain America

Mark Gruenwald/Kieron Dwyer - Captain America

Roger Stern/John Byrne - Captain America

Doug Moench/Paul Gulacy - Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu

Doug Moench/Mike Zeck - Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu

David Michelinie/Bob Layton/Mark Bright/John Romita Jr. - Iron Man

I'm blanking out now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS