HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:48:42 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - June 21, 2017  (Read 4460 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 21, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »

I'm almost caught up with my library in Marvel Unlimited. Maybe 2 or 3 more weeks.  That will be a great day.

ComiXology
Micronauts: Wrath of Karza 1
Micronauts: Wrath of Karza 2
Umbral Vol 1 TPB
Nailbiter Vol 2 TPB
Star Trek/Green Lantern Vol Two 1
Star Trek/Green Lantern Vol Two 2
Star Trek/Green Lantern Vol Two 3
Star Trek/Green Lantern Vol Two 4
Star Trek/Green Lantern Vol Two 5
Star Trek/Green Lantern Vol Two 6
Dark Days: The Forge 1
Earth 2 Society 19
Earth 2 Society 20
Earth 2 Society 21
Earth 2 Society 22
Earth 2 Society Annual 1

Marvel Unlimited
The Astonishing Ant-Man 11
The Astonishing Ant-Man 12
The Astonishing Ant-Man 13
Old Man Logan 12
Old Man Logan 13
Old Man Logan 14
Old Man Logan 15
Moon Knight 7
Moon Knight 8
Moon Knight 9
Daredevil 12
Daredevil 13
Daredevil 14
Uncanny X-Men Annual 1
Mighty Thor 12
Mighty Thor 13
Carnage 13
Carnage 14
Spider-Man 2099 17
Spider-Man 2099 18
Extraordinary X-Men 15
Extraordinary X-Men 16
Uncanny Inhumans 15
Uncanny Inhumans 16
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:20:41 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 02:49:01 AM »

Clone Conspiracy #3 -hey! Rising action! not just narrative from Slott's favorite mouthpieces-swarmy supermart intellects who talk down to everyone

Spider-man 2099 18 - I think I may be stopping soon. I just have no interest

Old Man Logan 14 & 15 - don't think I care for how neatly the baddies were tied off in this, but fine to read nonetheless

I v X #0 & 1 -nothing too greatly insulting yet. All the things that have been said still ring true (why is this story from 8 months ago Secret Wars time told almost a year and a half later?, etc)

All-New Wolverine - #15 - this arc can just be over. Or, maybe I'll just be over it

Daredevil #14 - Damn Soule, you are brutal!!!  Shocked

Totally Awesome Hulk #13 - ugh, what basketball? WTF is going on. Skip this everyone, and skip it's follow up, as these issues are just being done while waiting for CW II to actually finish

Power Man & Iron Fist #11 - But damn, has Walker layered his stories, his histories, and his continuing plot. Damned good writing!!

Uncanny Avengers #17 - any of you know this artist Pepe Larraz? I think you should keep an eye out for him. He's got the fun of the Avenger's style Stuart Immonen with the strong body work of Carlos Pacheco. Damned good looking book and artist. Hope he gets to stay around! The ending resolution of this story was really good too.

Spider-man #10 - more CW II fallout. Um, it's pretty decent, but if I was MIles, being interrupted that much by all my spastic friends, I'd hang them from the ceiling all webbed up so I could actually finish a damned conversation. Use it to make an actual point Bendis, not just piss out extemperaneous dialogue. Miles feelings, however, are very well and true, though.

Nova #1 - for me, the Sam Nova Kiddie never caught. An 11 year old with this insane Nova power just didn't grab me. The experiment can be over, as far as this almost 40 year old is concerned. However, I'm not the target audience, as I gravitate to the battle hardened, scarred, and recovering man that is Rich Ryder.

Oldies and Goodies!

Captain Marvel (2000) #2-5 -Genis Vell!! PAD!! ChrisCross!! With story titles as "Two down, Wendigo" and "On the wrong side of the Drax", puns fly, comedy is fast and furious, and I love love LOVE this character.

Cable & Deadpool #7-10 - Damn, but Fabian can write the hell outta these characters. I always have a soft spot for nigh unimaginable power Cable (I'd like to see an unrestrained/sick Cable versus Adult Franklin Richards!!!), and Deadpool is great under Fabian. The writing of a journalist interview with Cable, sans 2004, is so amazingly spot on for the issues, grief, and troubles that are currently without our own sociopolitical theater of 2017. Like, what a called shot!!

Also, art is by Patrick Zircher (a perenniel favorite of mine) with finishing touches by Udon-best known for Gail Simone's DP run. It's a style and slickness and a firmness to each panel and line that just nails everything for me.

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire  9 & 10 - just got 8 issues or so before I finish up what's the original 2 years of this character on MU!! Grin

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »

Not going to quote all that shit  Cheesy so instead, here is just some random thoughts on Jimmy's more precise ramblings  Grin

Spidey 2099 is ending at #25 anyway, Jimbo. Either way, just didn't know if you knew or not.

IvX ... the cloud man, the evil cloud!!!  Cheesy Shocked    Roll Eyes

Dropped Wolverine myself around this time.

That Hulk arc cost me my time and I will not give it back to Pak again. Bad Pak, Bad, bad, bad!!!

Pepe has been around for a long time and yeah, he's got a nice style.

Are you talking about the latest Nova? The one that just got canceled at issue #7 with Richard Ryder? That was a great read so I hope not.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »

Dropped Wolverine myself around this time.

Funny. I just dropped it last week.  Guess that's unanimous.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »

Going into the weekend I've already finished over half of my Marvel Unlimited list.

What's even crazier is that after all this time I've now only got 29 comics in my MU Library.  I may forego ComiXology next week and just bang out the remainder of the MU.  Then I would be "Live" (meaning six months behind) each week on my Marvel.

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 12
Old Man Logan 13
Old Man Logan 14
Old Man Logan 15
Moon Knight 7
Moon Knight 8
Moon Knight 9
Daredevil 12
Daredevil 13
Daredevil 14
Uncanny X-Men Annual 1

Mighty Thor 12
Mighty Thor 13
Carnage 13
Carnage 14
Spider-Man 2099 17
Spider-Man 2099 18
Extraordinary X-Men 15
Extraordinary X-Men 16
Uncanny Inhumans 15
Uncanny Inhumans 16

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »

Batman #25

I ... I am just totally lost here. I like Tom King as a writer, I do. Heck as far as I can tell he is a nice guy as well, so bonus points! But, and I know I have been saying this since issue #1, as much good that is here (or in the case of the last 22 issues, somewhat good that is here) this guy in this book is just not Batman.

I was really psyched about this "War of Jokes and Riddles" arc, pitting the Joker against the Riddler, but ya know, I just ... I just don't know what to say. I am beginning to believe that Tom King just needs to stick with the B-side characters, bring them more to life than ever, and leave the uber popular ones alone.

His Vision and his Omega Men, neither what you would call "making the big time" gigs, were flat out spectacular and I do still have very high, extremely high hopes for his Miracle Man 12 issues maxi that will soon hit, but as many times as I have walked away after reading this title feeling like I enjoyed it, I just haven't felt like I have been reading Batman.

Now, when you throw in two such dynamic and important Batman aspects into the story the cracks begin to show, for me, even more.

Again, I still like this, but ...
 Undecided

And as I am not going into details about the story or issue, I decided to just leave this brief and oh so small admonishment here, in the Reading Thread, instead of moving it to Batman where it (maybe) should go
 Cheesy

EDIT -
Then I would be "Live" (meaning six months behind) each week on my Marvel.

Sweet. And how many do you think you will keep up with then? I would say ... eh ... you could get by with about 15 or so. Maybe a couple more or less counting Star Wars. I don't read Poe Dameron, but I know you do.
 Smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:48:44 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »

Going into the weekend I've already finished over half of my Marvel Unlimited list.

What's even crazier is that after all this time I've now only got 29 comics in my MU Library.  I may forego ComiXology next week and just bang out the remainder of the MU.  Then I would be "Live" (meaning six months behind) each week on my Marvel.

I'm there now too, Jeff.

In my library, I have 16 titles;

-the last 3 issues of CW II,
-3 issues of Captain Marvel (Genis Vell)
-Star Wars Legacy
-Wolverine: origins
-Power Man & Iron Fist 51
-Great Lakes Avengers (mini) #1
-Great Lakes Avengers #15
-Avengers (1963) #93
-Vision & Scarlet Witch #1

So, I just got lots of books/runs that I plan to read in large chunks, but yeah, I'm near up on all the reading I like to do!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »

What I read:

East of West vol 3-4 (okay, I'm on board with the Apocalypse!)
Descender vol 2 (I love to pause and just look at the washes and layers of watercolors of Nyguyen's art. Just love it!!)

Star Wars:Prisoner of Bogan 1-5  and Force War 1-5: I'm still not sorry, but I still consider it a huge loss that Disney took back SW for Marvel. The work of Ostrander/Duursema over 12 years of SW titles, present, past, waaay past, and future is stunning. I don't consider any of the last 3 years of SW Marvel books in any of that caliper (maybe the Lando mini Wink

Deadpool & Cable 11-19: Man, I love me some Fabian/Zircher title here! This had House of M stuff in it, so it seemed easy to skip/glide through pages here

Captain Genis Marvel 5-9: I really did love how 'alien' Genis was to earth's cultures.

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire 12-16: Dayum, pretty good way to end the first year and a half. Getting squeezed about his ID by a shifty reporter, the guard from Seagate is around, 2 more hoods from Seagate show up, murders abound, and a lady takes the fall so Luke doesn't go back to jail undeservedly, all the while she's bleeding out from GSW.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 02:06:50 AM »

For the week!!

X-O Manowar Deluxe Edition v1
Divinity II tpb
Unity v4
Bloodshot Reborn v4

Unlimited:
Gamora #1
Amazing Spider-man 22
Doctor Strange 15
Sam Wilson Captain America 15
Punisher 7
Power Fist & Iron Man Sweet Christmas
Star-Lord #1
Thanos #2
Invincible Iron man #2
Ultimates 2 #2

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:19:07 AM »

I'm so close!  I should be able to make it by end of day tomorrow.  Fingers crossed!

ComiXology
Umbral Vol 1 TPB

Nailbiter Vol 2 TPB
Earth 2 Society 19
Earth 2 Society 20
Earth 2 Society 21
Earth 2 Society 22
Earth 2 Society Annual 1

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 12
Old Man Logan 13
Old Man Logan 14
Old Man Logan 15
Moon Knight 7
Moon Knight 8
Moon Knight 9
Daredevil 12
Daredevil 13
Daredevil 14
Uncanny X-Men Annual 1
Mighty Thor 12
Mighty Thor 13
Carnage 13
Carnage 14
Spider-Man 2099 17
Spider-Man 2099 18
Extraordinary X-Men 15
Extraordinary X-Men 16
Uncanny Inhumans 15
Uncanny Inhumans 16

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »

Finished all but Nailbiter.  Still not bad.

ComiXology
Umbral Vol 1 TPB

Nailbiter Vol 2 TPB
Earth 2 Society 19
Earth 2 Society 20
Earth 2 Society 21
Earth 2 Society 22
Earth 2 Society Annual 1

Marvel Unlimited
Old Man Logan 12
Old Man Logan 13
Old Man Logan 14
Old Man Logan 15
Moon Knight 7
Moon Knight 8
Moon Knight 9
Daredevil 12
Daredevil 13
Daredevil 14
Uncanny X-Men Annual 1
Mighty Thor 12
Mighty Thor 13
Carnage 13
Carnage 14
Spider-Man 2099 17
Spider-Man 2099 18
Extraordinary X-Men 15
Extraordinary X-Men 16
Uncanny Inhumans 15
Uncanny Inhumans 16

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »

Not bad at all. I'm quite envious in-fact
 Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS