HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:24:13 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A.D. After Death by Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire  (Read 5987 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 20, 2017, 03:34:11 PM »

A.D. After Death #1

Written by Scott Snyder. Art and Cover by Jeff Lemire. SERIES PREMIERE What if we found a cure for death? Two of comics' most acclaimed creators, SCOTT SNYDER (WYTCHES, Batman, American Vampire) and JEFF LEMIRE (DESCENDER, Moon Knight, Sweet Tooth) unite to create a three-part epic like no other, set in a future where a genetic cure for death has been found. Years after the discovery, one man starts to question everything, leading him on a mind-bending journey that will bring him face-to-face with his past and his own mortality. A unique combination of comics, prose, and illustration, A.D.: AFTER DEATH will be serialized monthly as three oversized prestige format books written by SNYDER and fully painted by LEMIRE. 72 pages, full color. Rated T 8-in x 11-in Cover price $5.99.

A.D. After Death #2

Written by Scott Snyder. Art and Cover by Jeff Lemire. What if we found a cure for death? The second chapter of the haunting sci-fi epic. Jonah Cooke is haunted by his long, long past, but will it be enough to push him to turn his back on eternal life? And who or what may be calling to him from the old world below the clouds? 88 pages, full color. 8-in X 11-in. Rated T Cover price $5.99.

A.D. After Death #3

Written by Scott Snyder. Art and Cover by Jeff Lemire. MINI-SERIES FINALE Jonah Cooke is on the run from a future he helped create, a future where death has been genetically cured. Yet he's finally come to accept that no matter how long he lives, he'll never escape his past. And now he's done the one thing that may put everyone left alive in jeopardy. The shocking conclusion of the sci-fi epic by two of comics' most acclaimed creators is here. 96 pages, full color. 8-in X 11-in. Rated T Cover price $5.99.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »

Wow.  I just finished this and there aren't enough good things to say about it.  The end of this left me wanting to scream.

Great character development as we journey with the main character as he rediscovers his past and what brought him to his immortality status.  Since the brain can only hold 100 years worth of memories he has to rely on his journals to rediscover his past and send him on a journey that you can't help but get immersed in.

Great mix of prose - for the past - and comic - for the present.

Absolutely worth the full cover price of $5.99 each.  The collected HC is coming out this month or next so I wouldn't blame you for waiting to see if that is cheaper but I would still pay the full price.

10 our of 10 Memory Cycles.

And I still want to scream at the ending!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:41:44 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:15:35 AM »

Glad to hear.
 Cool

I always wanted to read this, especially when that last issue hit a couple weeks ago, but it is so large I just didn't think I would have the time to read it without sacrificing the books that I don't have time to read now.
 Cheesy

I will get to it some day!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »

I got all three done in basically a day.  It looks daunting but reads faster than you think.  At least you don't notice the time as it keeps you engaged.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »

If I only had my tablet a couple hours ago ...
 Angry
 Angry
 Angry

Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 03:20:39 AM »

I just don't like Lemire's art.

Definitely would be a comixology purchase. I do always love a good read.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »

I just don't like Lemire's art.

I was the same way, then suddenly, I have no idea why, I started to see through the look of it and see the story. Man, I know, I know, that sounds F'n stupid,  Cheesy, but honestly it happened.

Is his art the most appealing to the eye? Never. But yeah, I found something there. Something.

Of course that view point is also just on the stuff he has written as well as done the art so that may be a factor, subconsciously or not. May be totally different here. I will find out someday soon.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »

I didn't have any trouble with the art on this one.  Seemed to fit with the story.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »

Vol 1 & 2 on sale on ComiXology through 7/3.  Good chance to grab them at "regular" prices.

ComiXology Sale - Jeff Lemire & Scott Snyder books

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS