HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:31:55 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Novels  (Read 3818 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: June 11, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »

FINALLY !!!!!

YES, YES, YES !!!

I have had these three books -

(Parts 2, 3 and 4) from Dan Simmons four part Hyperion series for about a year ... well, I got part 2 about a year ago and I have been looking for part 1 since well before that, but finally, in the used book store today, finally, part one !!!!

So damn happy, you have no idea.

True, I could have jumped online or gone to Barnes and Noble and just bought the darn thing, but there is something exciting about the aggravation of waiting, followed by the exhilaration of finally finding a book you need from the used book store!!!  So satisfying. Just, wow, man. I can't express.  Best $4 I have spent in awhile.

Now I can finally try and read this darn series.
 Grin Grin

I still have not seen any Conan that I need (or Tarzan for that matter, wink, wink) And I found a Lee Child book that my Step Dad has been searching for (he is the one that got me into this Used Book Store buying habit) so that is also good as I enjoy helping him, but to finally find this one. A great day indeed.

Can anyone relate?
 Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:46:03 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »

I decided I wanted original hardcovers of the Wheel of Time; the original art, and none of the updated jackets talking about the 'hit series!'

Sent my mom hunting too. Found some of the very earliest books in a used book store-at the Milwaukee airport!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »

Sweet.
Send me a list of what you need, man. Ya know, just in case  Wink
What printings have the original stuff on it? Just the first or is there like a third that still counts?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:04:42 AM »

I decided I wanted original hardcovers of the Wheel of Time;

Ahhh. One of these days I gotta finish reading the first one.  I'm really bad about starting but not finishing novels.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »

Perry, I actually did finish up my search. I have every single one and all the hard covers I like. It takes up almost two full bookshelves at home!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »

Perry, I actually did finish up my search. I have every single one and all the hard covers I like. It takes up almost two full bookshelves at home!

What's next, the Terry Goodkind ones? The Terry Brooks ones? Feist?
 Grin

Hey, have you read Feist? Was thinking about grabbing his Riftwar series, if I can find the first one at the UBS, but not sure if I want to go that route or not. Any thoughts?

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »

F*** Terry Goodkind.

That sucks at the teat of Ayn Rand, and has his fantasy novels written in the vein of Atlas Shrugged.

Now mind you, the first 3 of his original fantasy series was great. Just wow, great. But,at book 5, the main character goes into this 40 page rant/speech to these people looking to be freed of their oppressors by the protagonist, and the protagonist just goes off on how weak they are, by what terrible means they've tried to enlist his aid (poison), and how he should let their society crumble.

I thought, 'what the F*** is going on here?' After those chapters, I found an interview, where he goes into how influential Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead were to him. It made events from the last 3 books make WAY more sense.

I finished the novel, but the bad taste was there, I recognized way more of the elements for their meaning in his writing (which were always present), and said I was done with the guy.

I've always wanted to get out and read Feist. I just...haven't is the only reason to describe so far. I just haven't started. Call it time and directed energy.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »

Ha, well good to know (on Goodkind) and man, if you haven't tried Feist, I just don't know who to turn to. Maybe I will just have to try it and form my own opinions myself? Dear Lord, NOOOooo
 Grin

Thanks Jimmy.  Cool If I do find the first novel from Feist's Riftwar at the UBS, I will at least pick it up and if I do dive right in, I will let you know my thoughts.
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS