HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 11:43:28 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Black Cat/Silver Sable movie  (Read 8442 times)
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« on: June 06, 2017, 01:06:52 AM »

Sony is still using what they have left in their Spider-Man-Less-Spidey-Universe.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/sonys-black-cat-silver-sable-movie-might-have-a-new-nam-1795549701

Say what you will, the director pick inspires confidence in me.

Let's break down the characters.

Black Cat. "Isn't this just Catwoman?" Movie audiences and critics all over will be something to that some extent. I mean, I'm a Spidey fan and not too much of a Batman one. But you say "cat themed cat burglar" my mind will go to Catwoman every time.

I like this character. That scene where she sees Spider-Man unmask for the first time, crushing her romantic fantasy, and she screams for him to put the mask back on - to me - is a top ten iconic moment in Spidey's history. Her stalker nature after their break-up, going as far as to date Flash Thompson to get back at Parker, is all good stuff.

Not to mention getting nearly killed by Doc Ock in the Doc Ock/Owl gang war. Then going behind Spidey's back to get powers from the Kingpin so he could hang with him as a hero.

Nerdy nitpick: I never liked the "bad luck powers." I liked she had to do something as shady as get help from Fisk - one of Spider-Man's greatest enemies. And the powers, as Fisk planned, eventually hexed Spidey. Still they always felt so vague on how they worked. Maybe if they were mystical in origin - perhaps from a cursed object she once stole - I could wrap my head around it more.

I prefer the tech she got from the Tinkerer in the 90's to enhance her agility, vision, and strength. I hope she has that tech in the movie and not so much the "back luck" stuff.

Silver Sable. Highly underrated character who had an underrated 90's series. To be honest, I'd be equally happy to see a "Silver Sable and the Wild Pack" movie. Like G.I. Joe meets an international A-Team of mercenaries. She's a strict, hard-nosed, multi-millionaire mercenary, who's a hero and top money maker to her native country. (A country that neighbors Dr. Doom's.) In her free time, she's in the family business of hunting Nazis. Like, even her "hobby" is movie worthy.

When not using her Wild Pack she keeps heroes and villains wanting to make a quick paycheck on speed dial. Leading her to have side teams like "The Intruders" or "The Outlaws."

The Outlaws were former villains turned heroes, pre-Thunderbolts. Could this movie work in Rocket Racer and Prowler? (I know, I know, but I always liked those guys.) Or Puma - who's one of comics most underrated bad asses. Even... Willow the Wisp has cool powers too... but... that name and look? Okay, pass on that dude. He's like the New Age music of heroes/villains.

Anyway, this film has potential. I'm sure Black Cat and Silver Sable has run into each other in the comics, I just can't remember. If Sable is hunting for, and then later needs, a cat burglar on her team - Black Cat could be worked in pretty organically. Spider-Man really isn't necessary to make this relationship form. (Unlike Venom, but that's another thread for another time.) If fact, it's kind of a stroke of genius to put them together. There's not a lot of female super hero movies or female buddy action flicks. This could check both those boxes. Plus, after the Holly Berry Catwoman movie, I don't know how well a Black Cat solo flick would do.

This could be great. Only speed bump for me thus far is that the rumored villain is Norman Osborn. There has to be a better choice than boring-er Lex Luther. Foreigner is not nearly as well known, but has a history with Sable.

A cyborg Silvermane could be cool. Like the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon, they could have Silvermane and Sable related. Assuming the new Cloak and Dagger series will be using him, as he's tied into their origins. Although, Sony has the Spidey villain movie rights, so he still might be fair game.
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 12:19:53 PM »

Hmmmm.  I don't know.  These Sony movies don't seem to grab me.   Undecided

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »

Hmmmm.  I don't know.  These Sony movies don't seem to grab me.   Undecided

Agreed.  The DC (WB) and Marvel (Disney) studio movies are getting bigger and bigger.  Even the X-men/Deadpool movies from 20th Century Fox are starting to seem like white noise against all the hype of the big two "cinematic universes."

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »

I've always liked the way you bring a spotlight to those characters/types from Spidey.

But I have hard time ever caring about them! That wasn't good memories of Web of- for me, at least.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS