HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 01:12:16 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - May 31, 2017  (Read 7239 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 31, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »

Wow.  We are one day away from the sixth month of this year.  Where has the time gone???

This week I tackle the following:

ComiXology
Lazarus Vol 2: Lift
Locke & Key Vol 4: Keys to the Kingdom
Locke & Key: Clockworks #1
Locke & Key: Clockworks #2
Locke & Key: Clockworks #3
Locke & Key: Clockworks #4
Locke & Key: Clockworks #5
Locke & Key: Clockworks #6
Black Hammer 8
Black Science 29
Descender 21
Hadrian's Wall 6
Image Plus 14
Invincible 135
Low 17
Sex Criminals 11
Sex Criminals 12
Sex Criminals 13
Sex Criminals 14
Sex Criminals 15
Walking Dead 167
Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Special 1
Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman Day Special 1

Marvel Unlimited
Civil War II Tie-Ins
All-New Wolverine 11
Civil War II Ulysses 4
Captain America Sam Wilson 12
Civil War II: Amazing Spider-Man 3
Civil War II: Choosing Sides 4
Civil War II: Gods of Ware 3
Civil War II: X-Men 3
Mockingbird 6
Power Man and Iron Fist 7
Spider Woman 10
The Fallen 1
The Ultimates 10

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 02:52:00 AM »

Jeff, you make me so damned jealous!! I want comics to read!!! I want time to read the comics I have!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 03:51:30 AM »

Jeff, you make me so damned jealous!! I want comics to read!!! I want time to read the comics I have!!

Deleting all the games off of my iPad has helped with the time.  Although I doubt that's your problem.  Wink

Maybe you could read them to your little one?

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:55:02 AM »

The first couple of issues made me think this story had run its course.  Then I kept reading.

Holy crap!   Shocked

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »

The first couple of issues made me think this story had run its course.  Then I kept reading.

Holy crap!   Shocked

RIGHT?!?!?!

Hope you are still digging it. It, the whole thing, was so darn good for me at the time.
  Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »

Hope you are still digging it. It, the whole thing, was so darn good for me at the time.
  Smiley

I am.  Started Clockworks this morning. Looks like we're getting some history.....

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »

Finished Locke & Key Clockworks.  Wow this is a great series. Gonna kill me to have to wait until next week to buy the next volume!

ComiXology

Black Hammer 8
Black Science 29
Descender 21
Hadrian's Wall 6
Image Plus 14
Invincible 135
Low 17
Sex Criminals 11
Sex Criminals 12
Sex Criminals 13
Sex Criminals 14
Sex Criminals 15
Walking Dead 167

Marvel Unlimited
Civil War II Tie-Ins
All-New Wolverine 11
Civil War II Ulysses 4
Mockingbird 6
Spider Woman 10
The Fallen 1
The Ultimates 10

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 05:34:14 PM »

The Fix Vol 1- THANKS ALOT for the recommendation guys!!! Really enjoyed this read, but man, is Roy a DICK HAHA, looking forward to a time when I get to the 2nd trade!!

I've actually been reading a novel, and getting caught up on the 96% full DVR of my comic shows so we can cancel tv/cable, and well, starting a new show 'Forged in Fire'. That's been really cool for me!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 11:03:49 PM »

Glad you like the Fix Jimmy.  It's a fun book!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »

Yeah man, very cool that you enjoyed it. Always scary, recommendations (now we got to get you on Black Hammer  Smiley)

Was able to knock out a few here and there -

Cable #1 - Meh
Captain America (Sam) #22
Occupy Avengers #7

Secret Empire #3 - Still enjoying, but next issue needs to ... ? ... this is becoming an "off panel" book
Secret Empire: Uprising #1 - Meh (to no-ones surprise  Cheesy)
Thanos #7
X-Men Blue #4

Black Hammer #9
Comic Book History of Comics #5
Grass Kings #2

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »

Finished off the ComiXology list.  Now maybe I can make some more progress on Civil War II!

ComiXology
Black Hammer 8
Black Science 29
Descender 21
Hadrian's Wall 6
Image Plus 14
Invincible 135
Low 17
Sex Criminals 11
Sex Criminals 12
Sex Criminals 13
Sex Criminals 14
Sex Criminals 15
Walking Dead 167

Marvel Unlimited
Civil War II Tie-Ins
All-New Wolverine 11
Civil War II Ulysses 4
Mockingbird 6
Spider Woman 10
The Fallen 1
The Ultimates 10

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 02:49:28 AM »

Jupiter's Legacy Vol 1 -just loved this! I've grown into such a Frank Quitely fan over the years, and him on Millar's writing-which I find to be very intriguing as he (well, again) deconstructs the golden age hero under the crushing weight of real world cynicism and post-modern failures. I have both volumes of the prequel Jupiter's Circle, that I'll get to in time.

East of West vol 1 - I won't lie, I remember starting to read this in serial form years ago, and I'll say the same thing then-this is a beginning that does not hold you into coming back. It wasn't until issue 6 where I thought there was something there to continue reading. And this is Hickman!!! Not a big fan still of volume 1, but I'll see where things go from here...since I have the next 5 volumes. But in Hickman I do trust.

Superwoman 9-crap, I thought I was gonna drop this. Not a bad issue, I just don't see anything here that really interests me.

Superman 23-still enjoying this book a lot!
Action 979-this one too! I love a character getting a fix/reset to what he's supposed to be!! Digging this team coming together!!

WW 22- pooh, Rucka is getting near to being done Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »

East of West vol 1 - I won't lie, I remember starting to read this in serial form years ago, and I'll say the same thing then-this is a beginning that does not hold you into coming back. It wasn't until issue 6 where I thought there was something there to continue reading. And this is Hickman!!! Not a big fan still of volume 1, but I'll see where things go from here...since I have the next 5 volumes. But in Hickman I do trust.

Collected is the best way to read this.  I switched to monthlies when I switched to digital and it seems to take forever for something to happen. I think the quality dropped a little while he was doing Secret Wars.  Seems to be picking back up now.  Coincidence?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 12:32:21 PM »

I think while it is true it is a tad slower than a lot of Hickman stuff, it does ring true to his loooooong ass planning stages. Things that you are being shown in issue #2 can not be resolved or even mentioned again until issue #40.
 Grin

I stopped reading around ... 18 (or 20? Maybe?) and the story was not why I stopped. I really, really enjoyed it once it got going (yes, Jimmy, it is a slow start). I stopped reading as I was about caught up to the monthlies and I knew there was no way I was going to try and read this monthly. I am just not smart enough to retain all the stuff and information he throws out for weeks on end.

Same thing for Black Monday Murders. Not even trying to read that damn thing monthly. That is a true "read when he is done with it" read.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Oh, and the newest speculation is Hickman has been out of the spotlight as he and Marvel are working on his return ... to write the F.F. again!!! Oh, if true!!!
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Though I think/fear it may be Bendis.

Okay, I should not say I fear that, honestly, as his Infamous Iron Man's last few issues has almost been a Fantastic Four story and it has been good!!
 Cool

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

Oh man, Hickman returning to Fantastic Four?! That would be one of the greatest things in theMarvell  publishing  world and mine!

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS