HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:32:14 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - May 24, 2017  (Read 5591 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 24, 2017, 11:37:12 PM »

Felt like I did well last week.  Going to see if I can bust through these this week.

ComiXology
Batman TPB Vol 2:  I Am Suicide - Collects issues 9 - 15
Clean Room TPB Vol 1: Immaculate Conception - Collects issues 1 - 6
Nailbiter TPB Vol 1: There Will Be Blood - Collects issues 1 - 5
Star Trek / Green Lantern TPB Vol 1: The Spectrum War - Collects issues 1 - 6
Empress Vol 1 - collects issues 1-7
Lazarus Vol 2: Lift
Locke & Key Vol 3: Crown of Shadows
Sex Criminals 6
Sex Criminals 7
Sex Criminals 8
Sex Criminals 9
Sex Criminals 10

Marvel Unlimited
International Iron Man 7
Extraordinary X-Men Annual 1
Doctor Strange Annual 1
Extraordinary X-Men 14
Civil War II Tie-Ins
Civil War II Ulysses 4
Captain America Sam Wilson 12
Civil War II Choosing Sides 4
Mockingbird 6
Power Man and Iron Fist 7
Spider Woman 10
The Fallen 1
The Ultimates 10

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »

I'm reading through the Clean Room TPB and I'm not really feeling it.  It's predictable in plot and the dialogue is kind of boring. Not finished yet so I could change my mind.  I can say that the art is really good.  Makes it easier to get through.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:39:43 PM »

Hmmm, well now I am scared.
 Grin

I read the first issue and was so intrigued I added it to my "whenever I can finally get to them" list of runs (like Rai) I need to read. It ends at #18, but you're saying maybe don't bother?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »

Hmmm, well now I am scared.
 Grin

I read the first issue and was so intrigued I added it to my "whenever I can finally get to them" list of runs (like Rai) I need to read. It ends at #18, but you're saying maybe don't bother?

First issue was good but you don't revisit that event for a few issues.  it get's...strange.  You should read the first arc, you may like it.  I'm not done with the first trade yet so I'm not totally out yet.  Maybe it's a slow burn.  I'll let you know when I finish.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »

I'm not done with the first trade yet so I'm not totally out yet.  Maybe it's a slow burn.  I'll let you know when I finish.

Okay, sweet,  thanks. I would rather return them BEFORE I waste time reading them.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »

I'm not done with the first trade yet so I'm not totally out yet.  Maybe it's a slow burn.  I'll let you know when I finish.

Okay, sweet,  thanks. I would rather return them BEFORE I waste time reading them.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Well dammit. I still don't think I like it but I'm drawn into another arc.  I'm going to get the next trade.  Ending left me with more questions than answers and I find myself invested.

My advice, pick up the first trade and read it.  This is probably right up your alley.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:39:46 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 03:18:19 AM »

So!! Just Unlimited for a while.

Spider-woman 9 -oh man, this one hit all of the feels. No, not
Porcupine!!
Damn worthwhile title to read

Darth Vader 25-however, this title felt like one waste of time. I've rather reached a point where I'm bored with these 'new' SW tales that are only taking place after ANH. This really wasn't worth anything to me.

Avengers #1 -Perry, you were write. This art blows. And I'm not terribly interested in the story...or is it the art that isn't making me interested? In any case, I won't read #2

Spider-man 2099 #17 -No magic here for me. Just an issue to read. Also, Elecktra in 2 books this month going after the Hand/Fist? Color me uninterested

Daredevil #13- okay, a title let alone by CW II? Nice work here. I've come to buy into Blindspot and have the feels for him here

Invincible Iron Man #1 -grumbling aside on the reboot again. Bendis was a restrained Bendis in his inane bubble head chatter here, and where used actually did work for me. Not a bad start.

Uncanny Avengers #16- Continuing to entertain me each month-even with how inconceivable the premise and membership of this book continues to be!! OH, and Elektra again here

Steve Rogers Captain America  #7 -oh, I"m buying into this arc. OH, it's horrible to look at, like a car accident, but I think Spencer is really telling something that you can't look away from. The rhetoric and phrasing is built quite well.

Spider-man #9 -stupid Venom cover for Venom cover bullshit, and within the issue, well, it's fine, but more CW II moping and angst. I believe it's worth passing over.

Old Man Logan #13 -A good end to the tale, and still solid to read

All-New Wolverine #14- GACK Pedestrian ass art, and a blah issue of nothing makes this one a filler to get the arc to 6 issues. Pass. Nothing to see here.

Sam Wilson, Captain America #11- D-man and Battlestar? That makes this just fun to read from the get-go!!!

Thanos #1 -I'm a super hard sell for Thanos. But I'm buying it here!!

Infamous Iron Man #2 -when Bendis isn't writing adults like the moron character that Seth Rogen portrays in every film he 'acts' in, I can get behind the story then.

Clone Conspiracy #2 -what a f***ing rip. This issue wasn't even set up, it was just narrating what Spidey saw during this issue!! You pay 5.99 for this, or whatever stupid price? You people are stupid!!

Amazing Spider-man #21 -but at least this was better, as it was Kaine, although it was still just filling in the cracks ona  back story, so again spinning wheels waiting for something to actually happen. OH, and to HELL with the lore that is now canon that all Spiders people get their power from The Other, that the Web of Life is a thing, that there is some Lorespinner bullshit-I find it so damned ridiculous, I do!! I find it to be such a weak complication that doesn't enhance, but merely detracts from the singularity nature of special creation that was Spider-man.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »

While I haven't read much since Wednesday, I was able to knock some out today (Thanks to Jimmy for motivating me to get my Bendis reading on) Cheesy -

Captain America (Steve) #17
Infamous Iron Man  #3
Infamous Iron Man  #4
Infamous Iron Man  #5
Infamous Iron Man  #6
Infamous Iron Man  #7
Infamous Iron Man  #8
Jean Grey #2
Invincible Iron Man #2
Invincible Iron Man #3
Invincible Iron Man #4
Invincible Iron Man #5
Invincible Iron Man #6
Invincible Iron Man #7
Jessica Jones #3
Jessica Jones #4
Nick Fury #2

Satellite Falling #3
Satellite Falling #4

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »

Wow!  That's a lot of Iron Man!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »

Moving slower this week but I have no plans today and we shipped the kiddo off to camp yesterday.  Unless the wife takes over the day I should get some good reading in.

ComiXology

Star Trek / Green Lantern TPB Vol 1: The Spectrum War - Collects issues 1 - 6 - 40% DONE
Sex Criminals 6
Sex Criminals 7
Sex Criminals 8
Sex Criminals 9
Sex Criminals 10

Marvel Unlimited
International Iron Man 7

Doctor Strange Annual 1
Extraordinary X-Men 14
Civil War II Tie-Ins
Civil War II Ulysses 4
Mockingbird 6
Spider Woman 10
The Fallen 1
The Ultimates 10

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 03:06:19 AM »

Hmmm. One day left to make it through the list.

ComiXology

Sex Criminals 6
Sex Criminals 7
Sex Criminals 8
Sex Criminals 9
Sex Criminals 10

Marvel Unlimited
International Iron Man 7
Doctor Strange Annual 1
Extraordinary X-Men 14

Civil War II Tie-Ins
Civil War II Ulysses 4
Mockingbird 6
Spider Woman 10
The Fallen 1
The Ultimates 10

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »

Infamous Iron Man  #3
Infamous Iron Man  #4
Infamous Iron Man  #5
Infamous Iron Man  #6
Infamous Iron Man  #7
Infamous Iron Man  #8
Jean Grey #2
Invincible Iron Man #2
Invincible Iron Man #3
Invincible Iron Man #4
Invincible Iron Man #5
Invincible Iron Man #6
Invincible Iron Man #7
Jessica Jones #3
Jessica Jones #4
Nick Fury #2

Satellite Falling #3
Satellite Falling #4

and just read -

Jessica Jones #5
Jessica Jones #6
Jessica Jones #7
Jessica Jones #8
- Man, this issue was really good and so much what Jimmy would hate. Bendis yak yak  Cheesy
Royals #3 - Wow! A huge revelation regarding Black Bolt and Maximus. Holy crap!! The only thing that is keeping me from raving about this title is I still don't like this art. It is just too "cartoony" and really needs to be darker or more realistic in nature. Another editorial blunder for Marvel
 Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »

Empress #1
Empress #2
Empress #3
- Done with this until the whole thing is completed and I hear the results. It is just "okay"

Hey Perry - did you get around to finishing this?  It's still in my wish list but I haven't pulled the trigger yet on purchasing it.

No, is it finished now? Hahaha, I have no idea.
I do know that I wasn't blown away by it, well, by the first couple issues I read I mean. Wasn't horrible, but just seemed like a copy of Waid's Empire (...? I think that was the writer and the series I am thinking of ...? Yeah?). Not like it really in tone at all, or in main character, but something reminded me of it for some reason, other than the "big bad guy ruler thing" of course.
 Grin

I finished it today.  Wound up being a fun read.  It is similar to Waid's Empire but no where near as dark.  A lot of it is predictable but I didn't mind.  The characters were a good collection and I had fun reading it.  Looks like there'll be a sequel but this wraps up nicely so that if there's not one you still get a complete story.  I'd green light it for a fun little read.  Don't expect to be blown away by this "by the numbers" story but I enjoyed the characters.  Especially Ship and Tor.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 12:07:24 PM »

Infamous Iron Man  #3
Infamous Iron Man  #4
Infamous Iron Man  #5
Infamous Iron Man  #6
Infamous Iron Man  #7
Infamous Iron Man  #8
Jean Grey #2
Invincible Iron Man #2
Invincible Iron Man #3
Invincible Iron Man #4
Invincible Iron Man #5
Invincible Iron Man #6
Invincible Iron Man #7
Jessica Jones #3
Jessica Jones #4
Jessica Jones #5
Jessica Jones #6
Jessica Jones #7
Jessica Jones #8
Nick Fury #2
Royals #3

Satellite Falling #3
Satellite Falling #4

And added to the "read" pile before midnight -

Spider-Man #15
Spider-Man #16

I should have read #15 back when I read #14 as it really ended the arc well and was a little less powerful reading it alone (not that anything new happened). #16 however looks to be a good start for another arc. Love this book and I hope the new Zdarski Spectacular will join this book as two of the 'good' Spidey titles Cheesy

Still remember a couple weeks ago that I was leaving the big two books alone for a few ... yeah ... As you can see, I succeeded
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

ComiXology
Batman TPB Vol 2:  I Am Suicide - Collects issues 9 - 15

Sex Criminals 6
Sex Criminals 7
Sex Criminals 8
Sex Criminals 9
Sex Criminals 10

Marvel Unlimited
International Iron Man 7
Doctor Strange Annual 1
Extraordinary X-Men 14

Civil War II Tie-Ins
Civil War II Ulysses 4
Mockingbird 6
Spider Woman 10
The Fallen 1
The Ultimates 10

This week really flew by fast.  Locke and Key Vol 4 was a fun way to wrap it up though.  With the kiddo off at summer camp I'm hoping to get a lot more reading done. Unless that damn Uncharted 2 sucks me in again.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS