HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:11:13 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 2 premieres in theaters May 23, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 14877 times)
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« on: May 23, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »

First look trailer is out.  Looks promising.

https://youtu.be/4dxe_ugmIVM

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 06:41:59 PM »

Sure does. Ole Sasha moving from zombies to space.

Also see where ... SPOILERS FOR FUTURE EPISODES ...... where
Harry Mudd will make an appearance

Not sure I can convince myself to pay $5 a month for a tv subscription just for Star Trek, no matter how good I feel it may be, so gonna have to try and find at least another show or special on All Access to make this worthy of the payment.
 Undecided
And yes, I realize that I use to pay that for comics almost daily, but that is in the past.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »

I'm holding out to see if Netflix picks it up.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:57:25 PM »

It's only $5?  Hmmmmm.  I thought it would be more and had convinced myself I'd have to miss it.  Now though........

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 08:09:26 PM »

I was close. Looks like it is now $5.99
Will it be $7 by the time Trek gets here?

EDIT -
Ooops ... $9.99 for commercial free so ... yeah ... Much like Hulu, if I am doing it, I am not putting up with damn commercials, so the $6 is not even an option for me.
Man, now I really have to find other shows I want to see or I am not doing it. I mean I get a butt load of shows on Netflix for cheaper than that ... come on people!!!

Everyone, just not sign up and we will get it for free, and DVR through the commercials, on CBS a little bit later!!!
 Wink Grin

EDIT 2 - and I just sent them a question as I don't see where I can watch this on my television. I have a Samsung Smart tv so I better be able to see this through that. Worse case, I have a PS4 that I can stream through, and of course I watch on my computer most of the time anyway, but that would be a bummer if I can't watch on my couch when I want.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 08:27:23 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 01:15:55 AM »

So the real question is, can you stop at any time?  And the next question is can you watch previous episodes.  If so, wait until the end of the season, sign up,  binge watch it, cancel.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 03:19:00 AM »

That's a good idea, Jeff.  Supposedly it will be a serial show so it would be just right for binge-watching as Jeff suggests.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »

So the real question is, can you stop at any time?  And the next question is can you watch previous episodes.  If so, wait until the end of the season, sign up,  binge watch it, cancel.

Yep, that is the question .... questions.  Grin but looking at the way they list their current shows, I am not sure you can do that. It seems like with their current CBS shows, you can only get a few from the current season. Like ... *trying to think of some of their shows* ... Two Broke Girls. I think they only had like 7 episodes up of the current season. Or it looked that way for the brief time I was there yesterday
 Cheesy
I could be wrong, but if that is the case, you could sing up after the show ends and only be able to see like the last quarter of the season (or something like that). I am not sure of course, and they do have a VOD option, so ... yeah, I have no freakin' clue.
 Cheesy

But I would think, as they are not doing the Netflix style of putting them all up at once, that maybe they have a plan against "jump in and out" viewers as they have to know that is what a good portion of people would do. Maybe not the hardcore Trekkies, but there would have to be some that would wait, right? But if they don't have plans or a way to block episodes, I am certainly willing to wait and activate my "free week" when Discovery is at least at the half way point.
 Smiley

EDIT - Thinking on this more -
If they don't allow "back viewing" for the entire season that would really kill their product I would think. You know us sci-fi fans like to rewatch stuff, even the same year, so ...
And man, $10 a month, four episodes per month, 15 total episodes ...$40 total to watch a Star Trek season? You would have to watch more than that to make it worth while if you can't jump in and out.

EDIT 2 -
And I just read where the two part season premiere will air on regular CBS first before switching over to All Access.
Those sneaky little bastards. No way I can not sign-up now.
 Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 09:48:14 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

$40 for the whole season?  Might as well wait and buy it on iTunes once the seasons done.

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »

$40 for the whole season?  Might as well wait and buy it on iTunes once the seasons done.

Yeah, I may do the same thing.  Just wait until the whole season is available. 

I do the same thing with Flash.  I could never catch the show on network TV so I just wait and watch a couple of episodes at a time on Netflix.  As I am always on a 1-year/season-delay, I just have to avoid spoilers until they release the next season's episodes in toto.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 01:04:33 AM »

I do the same thing with Flash.  I could never catch the show on network TV ...

Just out of curiosity ... no DVR? If not, how do you watch ANY tv? It would drive me crazy with all the shows I watch, sitting through those darn commercials.
 Cheesy

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »

Just out of curiosity ... no DVR? If not, how do you watch ANY tv? It would drive me crazy with all the shows I watch, sitting through those darn commercials.
 Cheesy

Cheesy 

I don't.   Wink

We signed up for cable when we moved into our new home, but after about 9-10 months realized that we rarely ever actually watched anything on TV (aside from and occasional old movie on TCM).  So I dropped the cable.  Too busy doing other things.  Plus, even with the cheapest package, we would still be surfing through almost a 100 channels and find nothing to watch.  Netflix cost a fraction of the cost and we have countless options of things we do like to watch.

I think this subscription deal from CBS is another sign that network TV is in the death throes of its existence.  Why would a pampered, spoiled American like me sit down at a time scheduled by someone else (no, don't have DVR) to watch a dwindling, limited handful of shows riddled with commercials when I can stream, at my leisure and pace, a countless number of shows or movies ad-free for less money?  Cheesy Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:13 AM »

Oh I absolutely agree. If it wasn't for the NFL Network and Redzone I ... well ... no, I can't say that yet. I do love my AMC,  A&E, BBC, etc ... and for what I would pay for those alone, it is worth me having cable, with DVR of course  Cheesy.

However, I hear that Direct TV will soon (or have already) started a $35 (or close) package that has/will have every one of the channels I enjoy that they will stream, sans the NFL stuff. No damn dish (West Virginia State Flower) needed. Once I find they are rolling that out, and I finish this NFL year  Cheesy, I am sure I will also make the switch as well.

But right now, for me to get all the channels I watch (as I am a tv fan  Grin) it is actually more expensive for me to go all streaming right now.  Especially with HBO (Game of Thrones, John Oliver) and Showtime (American Gods) being cheaper through my cable package.

I said "my cable package"

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 06:48:36 PM »

Missed the "free" episode on TV, but was planning on picking up the Blu-Rays or something eventually.

But then I began to have second thoughts when the discussions of the first episodes that rolled in were all about the show's divisive political message.  Yes, Star Trek has always had a particular political bent, but never have the showrunners been so specific and pointed about it (i.e. the Federation good guys are the "enlightened" people who share our opinion and bad guys are meant to represent you).

OK.  More of the same.  Disappointing on so many levels, but something I'll just have to overlook.  Then this...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/25/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-takes-knee/

Nope.  Bye-bye.  Not gonna happen.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:50:11 PM by Mitch » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS