HR Boards
December 13, 2017, 11:51:00 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the latest PREVIEWS!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Generation X  (Read 441 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 20, 2017, 03:52:45 AM »

Issue #1

After ranting about the art on issues #1 and X-Gold in the weekly reader thread, I forgot to mention how I felt about the writing on this first issue of Gen-X.

It was not bad, really, but I did have some problems with it. For one thing, and slight spoilers here so ... you can tell this writer is not a parent. At the opening of this book, Jubilee, the now "no more a vampire mom" is walking around Central Park looking for her child who has just run off (he does this a lot it seems) and her reaction, just chatting while looking under bushes and around trees, is the worst example of what a parent would do that I can fathom.

Think about it. Have you ever lost sight of your child for more than two seconds at the grocery store? If not, trust me, I have. It is the most fear inducing event you can go through. You instantly feel your heart just go ballistic, trying to pound its way from your chest as your eyes frantically search the area making sure no-one is running while your legs start to get primed to run. Sure they suddenly look around the cart, right in front of you, and you feel like a complete fool, but for that brief moment you are crushed.

What Jubilee does here, just lollygagging as her child is missing? NO F'n WAY!!

Now, true, they were right beside the grounds of the X-Mens new school, but they were not ON the grounds and true, maybe her baby has some powers that keep the little one safe from abduction, but we are never told that so what am I to think?

I am left to think that this writer totally missed how this opening of the book should have read and instead made me roll my eyes thinking I am not going to like this book very much.

It did finish better, but that opening ... almost lost me. I could have easily just put the book back on the shelf had I not been determined to read this. Writers, your opening to a new title is very, very, important. Lots of readers do check out the first couple of pages before buying. Stop making openings that are at best confusing and at worst unbelievable.

6 outta 10 - times I thought the art killed this book for me.
 Angry Angry
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »

I turned around at the Dallas Comic Con this year only to find that my 10 year old daughter wasn't behind me.  I went into full on panic and was practically sprinting as I retraced my steps through the hundreds of people and booths.  We had the forethought of designating a place to meet if we ever separated but even then I wasn't confident she would remember or find it.  I finally gave up looking and started heading to that place when I spotted her out of the corner of my eye.  She was wandering around trying to find me, calm as anything.  Meanwhile my chest had caved in and I had never been so scared in my life. Ever.  It probably wasn't more than 5 or ten minutes but it felt like an eternity.

So yeah. No parent would be chit chatty if they lost track of their kiddo.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:41:04 AM »

Ouch man. I bet that was rough for the eternity that it felt!!
Scary, scary stuff in this world we live in now.

There have always been bad guys, and yes there will always be, but losing sight of a child in THIS day and age, just has to be the scariest thing you can go through.

Glad it all worked out and yes, please, everyone, take Jeff's advice ... if you are going out with your kids to a strange or crowded ... anything ... ALWAYS have a meeting spot if you get separated and make sure your kids know that "If they can't find you, find the men in blue"
 Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS