HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:22:45 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Kraven the Hunter premieres in theaters August 30, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader May 3, 2017  (Read 9037 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: May 03, 2017, 12:28:02 PM »

It's moving week so I'm not sure how far I'll get but this is my plan....

ComiXology
Magnus Robot Fighter 7
Magnus Robot Fighter 8
Magnus Robot Fighter 9
Magnus Robot Fighter 10
Magnus Robot Fighter 11
Magnus Robot Fighter 12
Mayday 5
Reborn 5
Batman 22 - The Button part 3
Image Plus 6 - Here's Negan
Image Plus 7 - Here's Negan
Image Plus 8 - Here's Negan
Image Plus 9 - Here's Negan
Image Plus 10 - Here's Negan
Image Plus 11 - Here's Negan
Image Plus 12 - Here's Negan
Micronauts 7
Micronauts 8
Micronauts 9
Micronauts 10

Marvel Unlimited
Nighthawk 1
Daredevil 8
Astonishing Ant-Man 9
Nighthawk 2
Mighty Thor 8
Doctor Strange 9
Carnage 9
Moon Knight 4
Vision 9
Old Man Logan 8
Daredevil 9
Astonishing Ant-Man 10

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »

No Walking Dead? Do you get that on sale now instead of on release, is that what it is?

As for me ... I do think I need a plan. I think I read more or at least read more of what I want  Grin when there is a list to keep me on track. Too many great options keeps me sidetracked, especially when I am not reading as much. Will check today's releases and come back.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »

No Walking Dead? Do you get that on sale now instead of on release, is that what it is?

Yeah - I almost always wait for the sale because I already have so many paid for comics that I haven't read.  Might as well read those while I wait the 30 days for the price to drop.

The exception this month has been the "The Button" crossover.  Of course, DC doesn't drop their prices but I've discovered if you can wait for the TPB it's price for the collected issues is cheaper than buying the issues themselves.  Works for me on the titles I'm way behind on.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 03:12:09 PM »

Certainly understandable.

DC is looking into or at least testing the possibility of having a DC Unlimited, so hopefully that goes well and it won't be long for DCU!!!!!

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »

Got a jump on my list last night.  Might do better than I thought.  Interesting origin story for Negan in Image Plus.  Kind of funny that before the apocalypse he was a
high school gym coach
.  Almost makes sense now.  Cheesy

ComiXology
Magnus Robot Fighter 7
Magnus Robot Fighter 8
Magnus Robot Fighter 9
Magnus Robot Fighter 10
Magnus Robot Fighter 11
Magnus Robot Fighter 12
Mayday 5
Reborn 5

Micronauts 7
Micronauts 8
Micronauts 9
Micronauts 10

Marvel Unlimited
Nighthawk 1
Daredevil 8

Astonishing Ant-Man 9
Nighthawk 2
Mighty Thor 8
Doctor Strange 9
Carnage 9
Moon Knight 4
Vision 9
Old Man Logan 8
Daredevil 9
Astonishing Ant-Man 10

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »

Interesting origin story for Negan ...  Almost makes sense now.  Cheesy

Knowing very little about the character other than a few things, I think that fits in well with my old one for sure.
 Cheesy

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »

More progress...

ComiXology
Magnus Robot Fighter 7
Magnus Robot Fighter 8

Magnus Robot Fighter 9
Magnus Robot Fighter 10
Magnus Robot Fighter 11
Magnus Robot Fighter 12
Mayday 5
Reborn 5

Micronauts 7
Micronauts 8
Micronauts 9
Micronauts 10

Marvel Unlimited
Nighthawk 1
Daredevil 8
Astonishing Ant-Man 9
Nighthawk 2

Mighty Thor 8
Doctor Strange 9
Carnage 9
Moon Knight 4
Vision 9
Old Man Logan 8
Daredevil 9
Astonishing Ant-Man 10

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 06:42:09 PM »

Made a little progress today, thanks to a power outage
 Cheesy

Batman #22
Batwoman #2
Super Sons #3
Superman #21
Superman #22

Black Bolt #1
Doctor Strange #18
Jean Grey #1
Nova #6
Secret Empire #1

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 06:56:00 PM »

Batman #22

What did you think of part three?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 09:15:29 PM »

Batman #22

What did you think of part three?

Like a zero issue kinda.
Nothing there really.  Undecided

You?

And why wouldn't he come back with Flash and Bats?
Bah!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 06:05:40 PM »

I've hit another little spurt of books in the last week, so all I can do is start some small comments here, then hopefully move on out to the threads.

Been trying to catch up on my DC floppies

Green Arrow- yeah....yeah...I just feel I'm done for a while. Whatever great cool mystic warrior of the night vibe Percy was running for a while has faded, as have all the good will I put towards the writer. It is currently -yet again-another Oliver Queen story, dirt poor, wanted by his city, but fighting to make it all right story. READ IT. No new beats here. Have read it far too often, and you're not really making this a story for me to hold my breath. That, and one of the last issues had a commercial airline get sabotaged by terrorist and crash through a terminal, and the artist showed people getting smeared, blown away, and utterly killed/ravaged by the horrible event. Look, I watch tons of bloody action movies, I read terrible things, play those games, but something about this illustrated scene just hit me in the wrong way. I've become far more empathic when a comic panel says "537 dead..." and then it moves on. You know what that is? 537 families thousands' more lives utterly ruined. Why do I get upset? Because at some point GA will just punch the bad guy out, stand triumphant over the body, and 'his' struggles will end. What about all the innocent? It's a weird, heavy point I've made, and a no-nothing issue for me to take a stand against, but man, I hate dismissing the tragedy simply as big villain making his mark.

Flash-The Button will show some neat hype in this crossover, but I don't expect the ending to really deliver anything, to be honest. What it did was extend my Flash viewing experience 2 more issues. Because, now, I'm done with the title. Time for others.

Action & Superman-still so enjoying these books. They are so kooky, and out there, and *shock shock* building continuity and foreshadowing and layering of events that will continue to pull forward into other stories! I love it!

Aquaman- somehow, H2.O actually drew me into the story and made me really just interested in Arthur's doings. Not sure how to describe it, except to say that I enjoyed just reading the tale of it all

Deathstroke-oh man, everything in this 'Twilight' arc has been fantastic. Just...wow, the layers, the angles, the events, all of it!! I love Joe Bennett drawing Priest stories.

Superwoman-after issue 9, I don't know if there is much more to Lana's story, as it has seemed to really peter and sputter out, and if Phil Jimenez isn't involved, I'm not sure I really care.

Hal Jordan & GLC-damned if I still don't love this title. A great monthly title that still just continues to deliver monthly. You know the funny thing? There is a 'Green Lanterns' title with this Simon Baz guy-WHO I HAVE COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT AND DISMISSED. Sure, he's in a JL title too, but I usually read that in trades...although, I hear that it's not been very good either.

Wonder Woman-damned if Cale's past story, and the dealings with Phobos and Deimos aren't the most tragic, and but also greatly turned on it's head stunners that I've read in a while. Although, I'm getting a big ahead of myself, and a bit confused as to what is the past and what is current time!! Gonna miss these teams when they are gone in 2 months.

Super Sons-Damien still irks the crap outta me, and considering all the kids do is yell at each other in situations they keep running from, the book can grate on me. I'd like a few 'smaller personal' moments if we could have that.

I see Marvel Unlimited has Civil War #6 up. Time to read that and start yelling again!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »

And I read CW II #6.

Now I just feel dirty.

These are my Marvel heroes? Ugh.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »

On Action and Superman - Here is were we differ slightly, or greatly I suppose  Grin I think Superman is one of my favorite comics right now while I am starting to struggle with Action. I keep dropping it and then trying again but with this last issue ... not sure if you are caught up so I won't spoil it, but with this last issue I think I am done for awhile.
 Undecided

(Of course Detective is also starting to slide down my scale of enjoyment as well)

Same with Super Sons. I am really really enjoying that tile. It reminds me of the classic Thing/Human Torch fights or the Blue Beetle/Booster ones. Not with as much love, yet, but I enjoy it. Greatly. The Yin. The Yang
 Grin

With Superwoman, I have not liked this since Jimenez left. I'm done with that as well

Aquaman I agree and I can't wait for my "russian hacker" to hit me with his Aquaman  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Deatstroke is also a great title, of course. and I think I maybe off W.W when Rucka leaves next month.

Oh, and I refuse to even acknowledge Civil War II any longer.

Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »

Ripped through some more over the last couple days -

Action Comics #978 - The return of .. ugh
Aquaman #22
Nightwing #19
Nightwing #20
- Good nding, but now I am off again ... hopefully  Grin

Comic Book History of Comics #4 (The Horror Age)

Hope to get a few more into today.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »

A couple more last night -

Flintstones #10
Flintstones #11

Kill or Be Killed #6
Star Trek: Deviations
Spencer & Locke #1
(THANKS DAVE!!!) - If you were a fan of Calvin & Hobbes ... oh yeah!!!

Adding to this list -

Superman #21
Superman #22

Action Comics #978
Aquaman #22
Nightwing #19
Nightwing #20

Black Bolt #1
Doctor Strange #18
Jean Grey #1
Nova #6
Secret Empire #1

Comic Book History of Comics #4 (The Horror Age)

Gotta hit some more Marvel tonight as well as some FCBD stuff !!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS