HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 05:42:17 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader April 26, 2017  (Read 7357 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 25, 2017, 04:14:04 AM »

Going to wrap up all my currently purchased Valiant comics this week and work on more Civil War II tie-ins.

ComiXology
Generation Zero #1
Rai #16
Valiant Universe Handbook: 2016 Edition #1
4001 A.D. #4
Bloodshot Reborn #16
X-O Manowar #49
Bloodshot Reborn #17
Generation Zero    2
X-O Manowar #50
Bloodshot Reborn #18
Bloodshot U.S.A. #1
Generation Zero #3
Flash 21 - The Button part 2

Marvel Unlimited
Civil War II
Free Comic Book Day 2016 - Civil War II
New Avengers 14
Uncanny Inhumans 12
Squadron Supreme 10
Invincible Iron Man 12
Deadpool 16
Civil War II: Kingpin 2
Civil War II: The Accused 1
Spider-Man 2099 13
All New, All-Different Avengers 13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 8
A-Force 8
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:03:27 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »

Generation Zero was ... okay. It ends at issue 8 or 9 so not a huge commitment, but it is no Harbinger. I like some of the characters on the team, but didn't care for the new main person here.

Are you digging that Bloodshot run? I thought it was really well done ... you are passed the Bloodshot Island stuff right?

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:59:13 AM »

Generation Zero was ... okay. It ends at issue 8 or 9 so not a huge commitment, but it is no Harbinger. I like some of the characters on the team, but didn't care for the new main person here.

Are you digging that Bloodshot run? I thought it was really well done ... you are passed the Bloodshot Island stuff right?

I'm on Bloodshot island right now and yes, I love this run!

Generation Zero - read 1-3 tonight and I like it so far.  Yeah, not as good as Harbinger but it's different.  I wasn't sure if I'd go past first arc but now that I know it's a short run I'll finish it out.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 11:31:04 AM »

I'm on Bloodshot island right now and yes, I love this run!.

Loved it. LOVED IT !!!

Got another one knocked out last night -

... but just realized I am on this week. Ha. Jumping over to the correct one now
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 02:51:45 AM »

I went ahead and bought and added the last two Wrath of the Eternal Warrior issues to complete the series and the next two Ninjaks I needed to complete the story arc. I'm hoping to finish them tonight and then move on to the Marvel stuff.

ComiXology
Generation Zero #1
Rai #16
4001 A.D. #4
Bloodshot Reborn #16
X-O Manowar #49
Bloodshot Reborn #17
Generation Zero    2
X-O Manowar #50
Bloodshot Reborn #18
Bloodshot U.S.A. #1
Generation Zero #3

ADD: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior 13
ADD: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior 14
ADD: Ninjak 21
ADD: Ninjak 22

Marvel Unlimited
Civil War II
New Avengers 14
Uncanny Inhumans 12
Squadron Supreme 10
Invincible Iron Man 12
Deadpool 16
Spider-Man 2099 13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 8
A-Force 8

By the way, have I mentioned lately just how great the Valiant universe is?  Amazing characters with rich development.  If you haven't flipped through that Valiant Universe Handbook 2016 I would recommend that you do.  Really reminded me how much they have built in such a short time.  Not everything is perfect but I'd say they 90% of the time they get it right on their storytelling and art.  Even their not so great stuff is better than the vast majority of things I'm seeing from the big two.  That's just incredible.

I wonder if there will come a day where Image and Valiant replace Marvel and DC as the big two comic companies.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:59:50 AM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »

By the way, have I mentioned lately just how great the Valiant universe is?  Amazing characters with rich development .... Even their not so great stuff is better than the vast majority of things I'm seeing from the big two.

Yes, yes, yes!!!!

I wonder if there will come a day where Image and Valiant replace Marvel and DC as the big two comic companies.

Wouldn't that be grand!!
I know I haven't eliminated the big two from my reading, nor will I ever, probably (no matter how mad I get) but I am so much more excited, RIGHT NOW, about the books from Image and Valiant (not to mention the great books on my list of Dark Horse books) than I am DC or Marvel as a whole.

I will put Bloodshot up against Batman and Amazing Spider-Man, Kill or Be Killed up against Deathstroke and Daredevil,
Black Hammer up against Avengers and any Justice League title Grass Kings up against Superman and any Iron Man title and Aliens: Defiance up against Titans and X-Men Gold or Blue anytime of the day!!!! IT's a little early, but I think I would put the new X-O face to face against Hal and his Corps as well
 Wink

EDIT -

Batman #21- Best of the series so far. Such a powerful read. And so damn quick. I hit the last page and didn't realize I was close to the end. Left me wanting more ... in the good way!!
 Smiley
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:40:06 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 03:18:52 AM »

Thursday.

ComiXology
Generation Zero #1
Rai #16
4001 A.D. #4
Bloodshot Reborn #16
X-O Manowar #49
Bloodshot Reborn #17
Generation Zero    2
X-O Manowar #50
Bloodshot Reborn #18
Bloodshot U.S.A. #1
Generation Zero #3

Marvel Unlimited
Civil War II
New Avengers 14
Uncanny Inhumans 12
Squadron Supreme 10

Invincible Iron Man 12
Deadpool 16
Spider-Man 2099 13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 8
A-Force 8

Really hard to get my brain switched back into Civil War II after spending so much time in the Valiant universe.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »

Really hard to get my brain switched back into Civil War II after spending so much time in the Valiant universe.

Only because it sucks.
 Cheesy Cheesy

If that mini were a person you were dating, a Ms. Secret Wars, she would be telling you "It's not you, it's me" while still wanting to stay together.
 Grin

I knocked out one book early in the morning, Flash #21, and thought to myself "Yea, buddy, you're getting an early start. You are going to read some comics today!"

The entire day I read -

Flash #21

I had such a good start, too
 Undecided

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »

Only because it sucks.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Maybe it's because I'm reading all of the Tie-Ins but I haven't reached that opinion.   I have issues with elements of it but I'm not hating this...yet.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 12:09:07 PM »

Just realized I need to add the two issues of Spidey 2099 before the CW tie in.

ComiXology
Generation Zero #1
Rai #16
4001 A.D. #4
Bloodshot Reborn #16
X-O Manowar #49
Bloodshot Reborn #17
Generation Zero    2
X-O Manowar #50
Bloodshot Reborn #18
Bloodshot U.S.A. #1
Generation Zero #3

Marvel Unlimited
ADD: Spider-Man 2099 11
ADD: Spider-Man 2099 12

Civil War II
New Avengers 14
Uncanny Inhumans 12
Squadron Supreme 10

Invincible Iron Man 12
Deadpool 16
Spider-Man 2099 13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 8
A-Force 8

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:43 PM »

Only because it sucks.
 Cheesy Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Maybe it's because I'm reading all of the Tie-Ins but I haven't reached that opinion.   I have issues with elements of it but I'm not hating this...yet.

Hey, I hope you don't get to that opinion. I would be shocked, but yeah, it could happen. I hope you enjoy it.
 Smiley
However, if you come away not understanding why Marvel gave Captain Marvel her own title after this, for fans that love the character, you wouldn't be alone.
 Wink

Flash #21 - Yay
Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider #1 - Meh
X-Men Gold #2 - Boooo ... F'n Guggenhiem is just not a writer I enjoy. I'm done. May flip through to the end next issue, but no reason to keep reading this horrible "look! We are super-heroes now" forced bull shit when Blue does it so much better.
X-Men Blue #2 - I am liking this. But maybe when I read Blue after Gold I am being false in my opinions? I mean if you smell dog crap and then you smell plain air, the plain air smells fantastic in comparison!
 Grin

EDIT -
All-Star Batman #9 - Meh, just a book. It ties into the past few issues and reunites Jock and Snyder, but I was not very happy reading it. It just seemed like a story with too many bullshit twists that just seem off. Hoping the next arc brings the fun back in the series.
Weapon X #2 - As fun as issue #1 was, in an early 90's "SHARP METAL OBJECTS ARE COOL" kind of way  Grin this issue brings some more of the same, making me remember why I was starting to avoid comics around that time. Now true, the art is not as totally ridiculous as some of the early 90's art, even with Land as one of the artists, but the story is still the same as issue one in almost every way. The story moved slightly forward, ever so slightly, but I think I would have preferred issue 1 and 2 combined into a double-sized issue and I would have liked it more. Still okay, but not at the "Remender X-Force" level that this is trying to be, yet. Still better than X-Men Gold.
 Wink
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:40:40 PM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 08:46:33 PM »

Finished everything yesterday.  Added some more at the bottom.  Going to get caught up on some non Civil War II and non Valiant titles.

ComiXology
Generation Zero #1
Rai #16
4001 A.D. #4
Bloodshot Reborn #16
X-O Manowar #49
Bloodshot Reborn #17
Generation Zero    2
X-O Manowar #50
Bloodshot Reborn #18
Bloodshot U.S.A. #1
Generation Zero #3

Marvel Unlimited
ADD: Spider-Man 2099 11
ADD: Spider-Man 2099 12
Civil War II
New Avengers 14
Uncanny Inhumans 12
Squadron Supreme 10
Invincible Iron Man 12
Deadpool 16
Spider-Man 2099 13
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 8
A-Force 8

ADD:
ComiXology
Birthright 23
Black Hammer 7
Copperfield 11
Descender 20
E.V.I.L. Heroes 3
E.V.I.L. Heroes 4
E.V.I.L. Heroes 5
E.V.I.L. Heroes 6
East of West 32
Hadrian's Wall 5
Image Plus 4
Image Plus 5
Invincible 134
Invisible Republic 15
Kill or Be Killed 7
Low 16
Magnus Robot Fighter 7
Magnus Robot Fighter 8
Magnus Robot Fighter 9
Magnus Robot Fighter 10
Magnus Robot Fighter 11
Magnus Robot Fighter 12
Mayday 5
Reborn 5

Marvel Unlimited
Weirdworld 6
Mighty Thor 7
Carnage 8
Moon Knight 3
Thunderbolts 2
Daredevil 8
Astonishing Ant-Man 9
Mighty Thor 8
Doctor Strange 9
Carnage 9
Moon Knight 4
Daredevil 9

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »

So a week or so after I say am starting to read and concentrating on more "non-Big Two" books I have read nothing but the Big Two this week.  Cheesy  Angry
Now true, I am not burning through the titles, but still, odd how that worked

Just recently knocked out -

Dr. Strange #15
Dr. Strange #16
Dr. Strange #17

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »

Man I've been a reading fiend this week!

ADD:
ComiXology
Birthright 23
Black Hammer 7
Copperfield 11
Descender 20
E.V.I.L. Heroes 3
E.V.I.L. Heroes 4
E.V.I.L. Heroes 5
E.V.I.L. Heroes 6
East of West 32
Hadrian's Wall 5
Image Plus 4
Image Plus 5
Invincible 134
Invisible Republic 15
Kill or Be Killed 7
Low 16

Magnus Robot Fighter 7
Magnus Robot Fighter 8
Magnus Robot Fighter 9
Magnus Robot Fighter 10
Magnus Robot Fighter 11
Magnus Robot Fighter 12
Mayday 5
Reborn 5

Marvel Unlimited
Weirdworld 6
Mighty Thor 7
Carnage 8
Moon Knight 3
Thunderbolts 2
Daredevil 8
Astonishing Ant-Man 9
Mighty Thor 8
Doctor Strange 9
Carnage 9
Moon Knight 4
Daredevil 9

EVIL Heroes was ok. Not a must read and pretty cookie cutter plot.  Dialogue has problems, especially as it got closer to the end. Great idea but should have been better.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 11:08:41 AM »

So a week or so after I say am starting to read and concentrating on more "non-Big Two" books I have read nothing but the Big Two this week.  Cheesy  Angry

It never works out how we plan does it?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS