HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 06:24:55 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - April 19, 2017  (Read 8093 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 17, 2017, 11:56:02 AM »

Decided to start this early since I finished this weeks list.  Who knows if I will get to these since I have a lot going on this week at work (two presentations, client site visit) and a root canal on Tuesday!

ComiXology
4001 A.D. 3
4001 A.D.: Shadowman 1
4001 A.D.:War Mother 1
Bloodshot Reborn 14
Bloodshot Reborn 15
Faith 1
Ninjak 17
RAI 14
RAI 15
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior 9
X-O Manowar 47
X-O Manowar 48

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Woman 8
Spider-Man 5
Civil War II
Spider-Woman 9
Spider-Man 6
New Avengers 13
Ultimates 9
Squadron Supreme 9
Ms Marvel 9
Civil War II: Choosing Sides 3
Civil War II 4
Captain Marvel 7
Civil War II: Ulysses 3
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:57:49 AM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »

Good progress this week.  Hopefully I'll get to add to the list!

ComiXology
4001 A.D. 3
Bloodshot Reborn 14
Bloodshot Reborn 15
Faith 1
Ninjak 17
RAI 14
RAI 15
X-O Manowar 47
X-O Manowar 48

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Woman 8
Spider-Man 5
Civil War II
Spider-Woman 9
Spider-Man 6
New Avengers 13
Ultimates 9
Squadron Supreme 9
Ms Marvel 9
Civil War II 4
Captain Marvel 7

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »

Was able to get to some last night -

Nick Fury #1 - Man what gorgous art. Really looing like the old Shield comic by Steranko. Good looking stuff.
Totally Awesome Hulk #18 - Just staying current as Planet Hulk may return soon
Captain America (Sam Wilson) #21
Captain America (Steve) #16
Secret Empire #0
- Man I am loving this Cap stuff. Yes, writer Spencer is getting reemed on Twitter (and for good reason, well, mostly), but he is making Cap fun for me again by making Cap not Cap but a different Cap that old Cap will loath once he becomes old Cap again.
 Cheesy

Curse Words #1 - I thought I finished this, but started #2 and realized, nope  Grin Pretty entertaining in a jerky, godlike Dr. Strange, by way of Image comics kind of way. Hope to hit #2 again tonight
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »

I wish, I truly wish, that I could come in with all the numbers and issues I've been reading. I think I'll roll through what I've been thinking on.

-entirety of Garth Ennis MK Punisher, with Steve Dillon. When Dillon died, I decided to go back and read work of his I hadn't touched yet. That being 'Welcome Back, Frank' and the subsequent MKPunisher 37 issues. I had wanted to write a large scale review, but again, time. That said, miss Steve Dillon.

-um, Invincible Iron Man was restarted yet again after it hit issue 14? Good lord Marvel, really?

-Between Power Man & Iron Fist, Spider-woman, Civil War #5 ; how is Carol simply not the 'villain' of the story? I have a long post in me about how absurd Marvel heroes must be to continually battle each other. Can you imagine trying to use your mighty powers against a friend and knock them prone to the earth? Because that is what is continually happening in CW II. I couldn't even imagine lifting a hand to strike a friend, let alone power blast them in the face and cause them to fall 100 feet to the ground.

-Keeping up with MU when I can. Some good (Thor, Steve Cap, Sam Cap), but alot of middling to boring junk.

-Perry! You were right! X-men before this reboot stuff got bad and not worth the time of day! If I had read Psylocke say "This isn't why I joined you, Erik" one more time, I'd claw my eyes out! Uncanny got very bad, and I too am quitting it.

-That said, Uncanny Avengers seems to keep my interest alot.

-Spider-man 2099...get rid of that white suit abomination.

-I got a big haul of DC comics at the LCS yesterday...I read Deathstroke 16 (great stuff!!) and Superman 20, I believe. A 'new origin' status, but it really didn't clarify anything. Ian Churchill with some nice looking art. Not so much of his Image looking/90s era days.

-oh yeah, Daredevil is still really interesting!!

-I enjoy reading of the Cho Hulk title.

-Miles title Spider-man is pretty good; even if I can't stand the Bendis repeating/overlapping conversations that do occur throughout the title (but not the entire title, thank God)

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »

Added Batman 21 since I don't want to miss The Button storyline or get spoiled.

ComiXology
4001 A.D. 3
Bloodshot Reborn 14
Bloodshot Reborn 15

Faith 1
Ninjak 17
RAI 14
RAI 15

X-O Manowar 47
X-O Manowar 48
ADD: Batman 21

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Woman 8
Spider-Man 5
Civil War II
Spider-Woman 9
Spider-Man 6
New Avengers 13
Ultimates 9
Squadron Supreme 9
Ms Marvel 9
Civil War II 4
Captain Marvel 7

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »

Oh yeah!

-Moon Knight; you know, this is going nowhere in my interest. The parallel view of his crazy worlds in the first 5-6 issues was fine, I guess, but with poor art, and nothing, I mean, NOTHING making sense, or leading to any kind of semblance of rising action? I may just be off of this. We'll see.

-Wolveringe Origin II (can you tell I went and saw 'Logan'? Wink ) Okay, I see why there wasn't Origins III, and I'm glad I didn't waste the $4.99 on the prestige format price of these issues. What a boring series of events. That's about all I can say about it. I'm glad I sold my first Origin series as a set for $90!!

-Death of X -since I know how it ends, I can see the steps that lead up to it...but still damned stupid.

-Star Wars-a good enough issue dealing with a Star Destroyer. No real fascination with this right now anymore

-Cone Conspiracy and Amazing Spider-man; Peter as a CEO still continues to fail for me. If there's a guy who deserves to have his company voted away from him, like the million times it's happened to Stark/Wayne/Queen/Rand, it's Parker. He's lousy at his job, and frankly, what I've hated MOST about Slott's writing is the way he writes Peter interacting with others. To a degree, it's almost on a level of mild autism; Peter's so clumsy, bullheaded, and doesn't listen, and always follows his own course in conversations even to the detriment of others. Ugh. However, like in all Slott big storyline starters...it's a pretty good starter here!!

-Old Man Logan-brutal. (that fall!) But I'm really enjoying it still.

-Punisher-the newest volume, with Dillon's last art. The story is actually really poor. If not for Dillon's art and MU, I wouldn't waste the energy to read it.

-All-new Wolverine-still so very good.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 06:33:49 PM »

Added All New Wolverine #10 now that I got my issue fixed with downloading it.

ComiXology
4001 A.D. 3
Bloodshot Reborn 14
Bloodshot Reborn 15

Faith 1
Ninjak 17
RAI 14
RAI 15

X-O Manowar 47
X-O Manowar 48

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Woman 8
Spider-Man 5
Civil War II
Spider-Woman 9
Spider-Man 6
New Avengers 13
Ultimates 9
Squadron Supreme 9
Ms Marvel 9
Civil War II 4
Captain Marvel 7

ADD:  All New Wolverine 10

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 06:50:52 PM »

Just some thoughts on Jimmy's reads ...

-um, Invincible Iron Man was restarted yet again after it hit issue 14? Good lord Marvel, really?

Well yeah! Why? Is that not the way comics are done?
 Cheesy

-Between Power Man & Iron Fist, Spider-woman, Civil War #5 ; how is Carol simply not the 'villain' of the story?

Right??

-Perry! You were right! X-men before this reboot stuff got bad and not worth the time of day!

Sadly I know. But Blue has started off decent (however when did Hank start
having magic powers
? What did I miss?) and Weapon X is very old school late 80's feel to it!!! [/quote]

-That said, Uncanny Avengers seems to keep my interest alot.

Mine too.  Grin And after the way it started ... wow am I shocked

-Spider-man 2099...get rid of that white suit abomination.

Hahaha, AMEN!!!

-Moon Knight; you know, this is going nowhere ...

I know you added "In my interest" right where I cut you off, but I think what I left is general my feelings now. Going nowhere ... and I love Lemire. Love his stuff. And loved this... for awhile.

-Death of X -since I know how it ends, I can see the steps that lead up to it...but still damned stupid.

One of the worst stories I have read in a long time.

-Old Man Logan-brutal. (that fall!) But I'm really enjoying it still.

Still behind, but THIS Lemire book was really hitting still when I stopped.
 Grin

Now to find time to talk about Jeff's books
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 03:48:04 AM »

You better hurry because I finished one day early!   Cheesy

ComiXology
4001 A.D. 3
Bloodshot Reborn 14
Bloodshot Reborn 15
Faith 1
Ninjak 17
RAI 14
RAI 15
X-O Manowar 47
X-O Manowar 48

Marvel Unlimited
Spider-Woman 8
Spider-Man 5
Civil War II
Spider-Woman 9
Spider-Man 6
New Avengers 13
Ultimates 9
Squadron Supreme 9
Ms Marvel 9
Civil War II 4
Captain Marvel 7
ADD:  All New Wolverine 10

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 12:01:40 PM »

Black Panther #6 -well, there's the first trade...and I don't care. I have no interest, and nothing strongly compelling to bring me back. 'The Crew' is in #7, but again...no compulsion to even bother with it at this point.

And wow, MU really loaded up this week! I got, like, 8 books to read.

Also Green Valley #7, glad I'm reading it, but it really was not anything I thought it was going to be.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »

Also Green Valley #7, glad I'm reading it, but it really was not anything I thought it was going to be.

Is it a must read?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »

You better hurry because I finished one day early!   Cheesy

JEEZY-PEEZY
 Cheesy

Man, I do need to get on it!!  Cheesy

Was only able to knock out a little more over the last few days, but hoping I can get a couple more in tonight

Star-Lord #6 - Last issue of the series (would have been for me too, even though I liked it) It ended well
Moon Knight #13 - Penultimate issue for Lemire, I think, and probably means the end of the title. Or at least this volume
X-Men Blue #1 - Finally found the naswer to my Hank McCoy question. Ummmm ... I ... will say more later
U.S.Avengers #1
U.S.Avengers #2
U.S.Avengers #3
- Had no interest in this at all, but was tired of listening to a guy at one of the LCS's around here so I have to read the first 5 issues, and he has to do the same for a book of my choosing.
Man this looks really good, art wise, and the story, if you take it as the humor book it is, is really fun if not funny, in an odd way it may be the best Avengers book for acting like an Avengers book. I may end up eating crow on this title and sty with it until its ultimate demise at issue #8 or #10 or whatever the arbitrary issue will be (Marvel!). But Gold-Skull? Oh yeah, Gold-Skull
 Cheesy

Comic Book History of Comics #3 - The War Age - Still an interesting historic read of comic history (King Kirby!!)
Shaolin Cowboy: Who'll Stop the Reign #1 - Another book I was forced into reading ONLY because I opened it. Holy hell this art. THIS ART!!!! I am now on a mission to track down all of the past issues (minis) of this title. Good lord this looks amazing.
Curse Words #2 - SOLD!!! A new must read for me. This book about a magician that came from another universe to destroy this little planet we call Earth, but has now decided to defend us, keeps getting more outrageous and fun. A zip-Lock bag filled with thousands of tiny people? A talking Koala Bear as a side-kick? Yeah, this is what I have needed. A break from "Capes and Spandex" and a plunge into some wild ideas and original story telling ideas.

Hope to get through some more "non-big two" soon, like:
Black Hammer #8 - You try this yet Jimmy???
God Country #2-4
Grass Kings #2
Royal City #1 and #2
Spencer and Locke #1
and of course, my Ninjak issues #24-26, that I have left on the side for far too long (and series is ending at #27)
 Angry
But it will be back soon!!!
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »

So I deleted all of my games off of my iPad.  Suddenly I'm getting a lot of reading done.  And this thing called "the sun" apparently rises every day.  And there are birds chirping.  I think I have a child.....

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 07:15:14 PM »

Went ahead and kept going on my Valiant List and got these done today as well.

Comixology
Ninjak #18
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #10
Faith #2
Ninjak #19
Faith #3
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #11
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #12
Faith #4
Ninjak #20

Doubt I'll keep going with Faith once I've read the ones I've already purchased.  It's a decent book but not for me.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the target audience for this one but for those that are it's good.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 07:17:04 PM by Jeff » Logged

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »

So I deleted all of my games off of my iPad.  Suddenly I'm getting a lot of reading done.  And this thing called "the sun" apparently rises every day.  And there are birds chirping.  I think I have a child.....

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Went ahead and kept going on my Valiant List and got these done today as well.

Comixology
Ninjak #18
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #10
Faith #2
Ninjak #19
Faith #3
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #11
Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #12
Faith #4
Ninjak #20

Doubt I'll keep going with Faith once I've read the ones I've already purchased.  It's a decent book but not for me.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the target audience for this one but for those that are it's good.

I felt the same. It is a really well done book, but just not a voice that resonates with me in my comic reading. IT is deserving of praise, but won't be taking my time (though I will at least look at the new 4 issue mini FAITH AND THE FUTURE FORCE (seen HERE), but that will be about my extent with her.

Also Think I am going to jump into the Eternal Warrior with his upcoming title. I tried the last one, the one you just finished, and while it was fine, it didn't wow me enough to keep me pulled in and I dropped it after issue #2 or so.

And man I still gotta read Rai
 Angry

How you liking Spider-Man (Miles)?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS