HR Boards
December 11, 2017, 08:19:54 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the latest PREVIEWS!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The acceptable price of a comic book  (Read 368 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 15, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »

Check this out on Newsarama.  I don't believe readers all think $3.99 is fine.

http://www.newsarama.com/32826-what-price-is-too-high-retailers-talk-pricing-2017-state-of-the-business.html

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:37:37 AM »

I gree with you Jeff, however I think it can all be summarized in one paragraph taken from that article ... that needs to be slightly amended. The original reads as -

"According to the retailers Newsarama surveyed, customers respond negatively to higher price points but will pay the extra amount if they believe the comic book is worth more."

While the correct, more accurate description would be -

According to the retailers Newsarama surveyed sales, customers respond negatively to higher price points but will pay the extra amount if they believe the comic book is worth more. are buying that book and need to ensure there are no gaps in their 'collection' of that series(*)."

*see Amazing Spider-Man #25 which was the best selling comic last month, priced at an absolute ridiculous $9.99

Or bottom line, if they price it high and you buy it, they will continue to price it high.
 Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »

i bet if a new start up company came along and could snag a few good writers and artists and make their price point $1.50, they would thrive. 

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »

Right? Even if the page count was only 16 pages or something.

I know I am (somewhat) shocked that Marvel didn't try a lower price for the first two or three issues of ANY of the countless new titles they had over the past year to drum up at least SOME interest in comics that we (and they) know are not going to go past 7 or 12 issues.

One of the few things to come out of Marvel's stupid over-shipping crap recently was some of the LCS' around here were able to lower the price on the titles Marvel shipped twice as many of giving old readers a break while pulling in a couple ew readers just because of the price.

I have no interest at all in reading about Mosiac, but if Marvel would've introduced his title at $2 an issue for the first three, maybe I would have given it a fair try, but at $4? Screw you, Marvel.

And of course they blamed us, the consumer, not wanting diversity in our comics as why stuff like that failed
 Roll Eyes
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »

I like your edit.  I laughed at this article.  The conspiracy theorist in my thinks this was written by Marvel or DC.  Ha!

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »

The conspiracy theorist in my thinks this was written by Marvel or DC.  Ha!

There ya go!!
 Cheesy
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »

Right? Even if the page count was only 16 pages or something.

I know I am (somewhat) shocked that Marvel didn't try a lower price for the first two or three issues of ANY of the countless new titles they had over the past year to drum up at least SOME interest in comics that we (and they) know are not going to go past 7 or 12 issues.

One of the few things to come out of Marvel's stupid over-shipping crap recently was some of the LCS' around here were able to lower the price on the titles Marvel shipped twice as many of giving old readers a break while pulling in a couple ew readers just because of the price.

I have no interest at all in reading about Mosiac, but if Marvel would've introduced his title at $2 an issue for the first three, maybe I would have given it a fair try, but at $4? Screw you, Marvel.

And of course they blamed us, the consumer, not wanting diversity in our comics as why stuff like that failed
 Roll Eyes

Yeah, ever since prices hit $2.99 I've been wondering why more creators don't just make comics with less pages. This was happening with Image books like Casanova and Ellis and Templesmith's Fell back 10 or so years ago. Even some Ellis stuff from Avatar Press was doing this.

Lately I've been rereading some Gruenwald's Captain America stuff. Most of those comics were only 17 pages of main story with 5 pages of back-up story. When collected for the first "Streets of Poison" trade, they left out the back-up stories. There was so much content you didn't even realize you were reading only 17-page "chapters."

But retailers get less of a percentage off such books so the order numbers are going to be low. Digitally it's still an option. However, how many creative teams are willing to take a pay cut to do less pages? Will this make them raise their rates per page, thus forcing companies to raise prices again. (That last line might be a long shot, but I'm just going off the top of my head here.)

Or, maybe make more one-shot graphic novels at a reasonable price 2-3 times a year for certain characters. If you give characters like Darkhawk, Blue Devil, or other c-listers another shot, you know that book won't last long. However, if a big enough creative team is allowed to tell a story arc worth of story for a one-shot, maybe it would fair better.

$3.99 is just too much. I still buy Power Man and Iron Fist at that price, but that's the only Big Two book I buy anymore. I might pick up an indie book here and there, but it's tough as their prices go up too. I got a Simpsons book a couple of months ago for $3.99. Way too much for a book I get here and there on a whim, even if there is technically more story pages in them.

As far as blaming "diversity" it's a cop out folks better than me have already pointed out. And, not to get off topic, that might be handled better if you stick with the main book to slowly introduce new characters instead of using spin-offs or events to crowbar in those characters.

Take Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, for example. He was a supporting character for like 4 years or so before taking over as Iron Man. Fans got to know and like him organically. Would that still happen if he was just introduced one issue and became Iron Man in the next?
I know some folks hate US Agent, but at least his story was given a slow burn to get to know him before taking over as Cap. And it's not like Steve Rogers totally disappeared while it happened, you still got to see what he was going through that entire time.

I'm babbling... so yeah, $3.99 is way too much.  Grin
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »

Yep, but you will sadly not be buying Power Man and Iron Fist for $3.99 any longer. The series is dead at issue #15.  Sad
However, Marvel is more than happy to sell you Power Man AND Iron Fist for $6.98 for both titles.
 Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS