HR Boards
December 11, 2017, 08:16:29 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the latest PREVIEWS!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peter David Go Fund Me page  (Read 421 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: April 02, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »

This has to be embarrassing reaching out to your fans for this.  Take a read and help him out if you feel inclined.

https://www.gofundme.com/peter-david-needs-your-help

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 05:01:59 PM »

I've been thinking of this alot in the last week. When I first read it, I thought it an April Fool's hoax.

I'm of 2 minds:

1. He has a platform where he can reach so many people, because he's touched so many people with his writing-me included. I am re-re-re-r-e-re-re-reading his Captain Marvel run right now. I have every issue of his Incredible Hulk. He's great. What a way to help give back to a man who really has meant alot to my spirit of imagination and discovery.

2. So what, dude. You know how fucked thousands are like you? Without the ability to ask thousands upon thousands of fans for a handout? If I get in a car accident, can I ask you for 5,10,20 bucks to help with my hospital bills? This wars with my Christian sensibility of help those in need, charity is good. But this...this rankles me some.

Hell, I don't keep up with every St. Jude's letter I get monthly to give monthly. I do give, about twice a year or more, because, you know, sick kids with parents who have nothing else they can do breaks my heart.

A writer with a HELLUVA financial mistake, who probably got screwed the wrong way with his ex-wife not paying taxes on money she took, asking to be free of debt?

Buddy, I owe $27K yet on a $30K student loan-and I've been paying 3 bills every month for 8 years. Where's my fucking handout?

Ooops, I'm of option 2, I guess!!   Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:59:13 AM »

Ya know, I bit me tongue on this as I didn't want to be a jerk this time ... HAHAHA ... Me? Not want to be a jerk? Hahaha. Anyway, I feel the same way, Jimbo, and now that you opened the door for my ass persona to start spewing -

Look PAD, I understood when you had the outreach (or when fans started) to help pay for your medical bills from your stroke (that you thankfully recovered from), Hell I did the same for my daughter, but taxes are something we all have to deal with and we all know is coming, even if we think we are prepared for them and paid them, it is ultimately your responsibility. Sorry for your bad luck but man, Like Jimmy says, we all have our own money issues. What makes you more deserving that us? The fact that we, on occasion, really enjoy your writing?

I love my wife, dearly, and other than the taxes that I do, she handles 99.5% of our money, primarily as I just can't stand to see that much going out on a monthly basis  Cheesy so I know that it can be easy to be ... too careless. However, and this is a hard lesson for you, always check behind on the important things.

That said, sorry to hear about this. Honestly

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57:46 AM »

Yes!  The fish bit my hook!   Cheesy

I intentionally left my opinion out of the post in case anyone felt sorry for him and wanted to send him some money.

My first thought was "Come on, you didn't pay your taxes the first time and now your asking for charity?"  I get that the ex-wife screwed him and I'm on his side of what a b*tch thing that was.  But this is why both spouses have to keep themselves in the know on the finances no matter which one actually writes the checks.  In our family I handle all the finances but my wife has all the passwords to all the accounts and she periodically goes in and takes a look.  I'll get the occasional "why did you spend $200 on godaddy renewals?" type questions but I like that.  Keeps me honest and keeps her in the know.  Happy wife, happy life. 

So yeah - even though I may sympathize to a degree, I haven't donated anything.  I might at some point if I feel generous but I likely won't and wouldn't blame anyone else for not doing the same.

"If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?" - Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »

Happy wife, happy life.

Preach it, buddy
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »

Hee hee hee...Jeff, I was almost....15% sure you were going to come in an call us bastards or something!!

Only 15%. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 06:04:36 PM »

Maybe if he also pointed out which company/project he gets a bigger cut from and urged folks to get that.

I forgot Space Cases was a thing. Didn't know he was part of it. Now if he worked on Homeboys in Outer Space - that's major $$$.

Seriously, hope he gets it worked out.
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:43:28 AM »

Do you want to get something for the money? Fine: Send a check to my PO Box, PO Box 951, Bayport, NY 11705 along with books of mine and a SASE and Iíll sign them and send them back. Thatís something, I guess.

Translation:  "I'm a such an incredibly important and famous person that I will bless a little guy like you with my highly valuable autograph if you please just gimme a 5 dollar bill.  Oh, and please don't forget to pay for the return postage."

Cry Cry Roll Eyes

Almost felt sorry for the guy.  Going with Jimmy's Option #2 as well.

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »

Do you want to get something for the money? Fine: Send a check to my PO Box, PO Box 951, Bayport, NY 11705 along with books of mine and a SASE and Iíll sign them and send them back. Thatís something, I guess.

Translation:  "I'm a such an incredibly important and famous person that I will bless a little guy like you with my highly valuable autograph if you please just gimme a 5 dollar bill.  Oh, and please don't forget to pay for the return postage."

Cry Cry Roll Eyes

Almost felt sorry for the guy.  Going with Jimmy's Option #2 as well.

PAD has always been one of my favorite writers, but i agree that the way this is worded comes across as pompous as hell.  perhaps if he sold it like this:  "I need some financial help with this situation and if you would like any items autographed or personalized in any way, please feel free to include them with your contribution and a SASE and I will be more than happy to accommodate those requests." 

I may have even sent something in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS