HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:12:31 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ghostbusters: Afterlife 2 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weekly Reader - March 8, 2017  (Read 4478 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: March 09, 2017, 09:18:34 PM »

Marvel Unlimited
The Infinity Entity 3
The Infinity Entity 4
Doctor Strange 6
International Iron Man 1
Moon Knight 1
Uncanny Inhumans 7
Astonishing Ant-Man 7
The Ultimates 6
Carnage 7
Spider-Woman 6
Doctor Strange: Last Days of Magic 1
Dare Devil 6
Carnage 7

Comixology
Quantum & Woody TPB Vol 2: In Security
Black Hammer 5
Black Hammer 6
Black Science 27
Brigg's Land 4
Brigg's Land 5
Brigg's Land 6
Invincible 132
Invincible 133
Mayday 3
Saga 41
Saga 42

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - One of these days I'll find this.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:30 PM »

Wife is gone for a few days so I will either have tons of reading time or none at all as I will be busy taking up for her slack.
 Cheesy

Nova #3
Nova #4
- This is, other than a few personal issues I have with some of the art (not bad, just kinda ... yeah...), pretty damn intriguing. Why and how is Richard Ryder back and what did he bring with hm? And what is it attacking the younger Nova's family? I know I can't wait to find out. 

Action Comics #971
Action Comics #972
Action Comics #973
Action Comics #974
- I think I am gonna drop this title from my reading list. Well, after the next two issues that are part of the upcoming (current) four-part crossover with the Superman title (which I will be still reading). I am just not really enjoying the art nor the dialog in this title. I mean, I am not the biggest Superman fan (did you guys no that?  Cheesy) so the comic has to be pretty good to keep me. Superman is still that book, Action ... not so much so. Not any longer. I like Jurgens as an artist much better than a writer.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »

Wife is gone for a few days so I will either have tons of reading time or none at all as I will be busy taking up for her slack.
 Cheesy

I hope thats not some kind of secret sex code.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:58:32 PM »

Action Comics #974[/color] - I think I am gonna drop this title from my reading list. Well, after the next two issues that are part of the upcoming (current) four-part crossover with the Superman title (which I will be still reading). I am just not really enjoying the art nor the dialog in this title. I mean, I am not the biggest Superman fan (did you guys no that?  Cheesy) so the comic has to be pretty good to keep me. Superman is still that book, Action ... not so much so. Not any longer. I like Jurgens as an artist much better than a writer.

Should I drop this from my wish list?  Not that ever have time to read....

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 04:04:11 AM »

Boom.  Off to a great start....

Marvel Unlimited
The Infinity Entity 3
The Infinity Entity 4
Doctor Strange 6
International Iron Man 1
Moon Knight 1
Uncanny Inhumans 7
Astonishing Ant-Man 7
The Ultimates 6
Carnage 7
Spider-Woman 6
Dare Devil 6
Carnage 7

Comixology
Quantum & Woody TPB Vol 2: In Security
Black Hammer 5
Black Hammer 6
Black Science 27

Brigg's Land 4
Brigg's Land 5
Brigg's Land 6
Invincible 132
Invincible 133
Mayday 3
Saga 41
Saga 42

Trade Paperbacks
Sandman TPB Vol 1 - "Preludes and Nocturnes!"  - 50% done (4 of 8 issues) - One of these days I'll find this.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »

I am not the biggest Superman fan (did you guys no that?  Cheesy)

Should I drop this from my wish list?  Not that ever have time to read....

I don't know, man (noticed how I spelled "know" correctly this time? WTF, Perry? Roll Eyes Cheesy). If you have enjoyed any of the issues you have read before, it may be worth sticking around for. To me, and maybe I am just getting bad dialog vibes because I spell "know" as "no" now for some reason  Undecided, I was kinda surprised I liked it as much as I did at one time anyway. Jurgens is just hit and miss with me, writing wise, much less being a Supes centric title. I think I am gonna let you find out on your own with this one. You may really still enjoy it.

Myself, I am going to take the time I did enjoy this title, keep that as a fond memory and slowly back away from reading this. Again, after issue #976, when this four-part "Superman Reborn" crossover ends
 Smiley

Was able to get that arc started yesterday, but was too tired to finish the second, Action Comics part.

Superman #18 - Good start to this, but ... no ... I shall wait until it is over. Don't want to say something just on speculation ... yet  Cheesy At least we will finally find out
who this "third" Clark Kent that has been hanging around truly is,
I hope. If they do this well, I am glad to see the return of the "long game" storytelling that use to be the norm in comics (not saying this is the only, recent example, just enjoy seeing it when it happens). Throw a shadowy figure's image in a scene and then see him again 3 months later and by the time he is revealed and his story is in full go, a year has past. That is the way you do comics!!
 Smiley
And remember when a character would show up in about 8 issues, various titles even, before they were elevated to their own comic? Would this Mosaic character done a little bit better with us had we, the readers, been able to see him, read about him in more than just 2 or 3 panels before he was thrust into his own "LOOK, DIVERSITY!" comic? You bet your ass. I am all for diversity, but the time for old companies to throw us a new title featuring a new character ... and expect anyone to buy that book, at $4 no less ... is gone.
Remember the text that use to look like this -
"Because you demanded it, BLAH-BLAH MAN"
Can we not wait until at least 3 people "demand" a character?

Okay, sidetrack over.
 Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 04:09:26 AM »

Kaplah! Get to add some more tomorrow!

Marvel Unlimited
The Infinity Entity 3
The Infinity Entity 4
Doctor Strange 6
International Iron Man 1
Moon Knight 1
Uncanny Inhumans 7
Astonishing Ant-Man 7
The Ultimates 6
Carnage 7
Spider-Woman 6
Dare Devil 6
Carnage 7

Comixology
Brigg's Land 4
Brigg's Land 5
Brigg's Land 6
Invincible 132
Invincible 133
Mayday 3
Saga 41
Saga 42

Trade Paperbacks

Too many great reads to talk about.  But I will say, Lemures Moon Knight issue 1 blew me away.  Loved International Iron Man too but Moon Knight was my favorite.  Great reads this week.  Just awesome.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »

Ha, meanwhile, on the flip side of things ...  Grin

I am slowly chugging along  Cheesy

Action Comics #975 - So we find out who
the third Kent
is. I guess I like it, though not sure I like the motivation ... well, I do, but ... Heck, I will wait for others to read it.  Grin

IvX #6 (of 6 ... thankfully) - Only thing good to come from this is that someone is back to being what they should be  Wink
Man-Thing #1 (of 5) - Not for me. Wanted a more creepy book and this is, well, more humorous than I wanted.
Moon Knight #11
Moon Knight #12
- Loved this story, but I think it is going on for 2 or 3 issues too long.
Ultimates 2 #2
Ultimates 2 #3
Ultimates 2 #4
- Man, this is some great cosmic storytelling. Love this series, although I miss Rocafort's art

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »

Ultimates 2 #3
Ultimates 2 #4[/color] - Man, this is some great cosmic storytelling. Love this series, although I miss Rocafort's art

Issue 6's art was ok for the cosmic beings (which is mainly what this was) but for the heroes just awful.  Not sure I can look at this if it's the future.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:01:14 PM »

Grin
no, no. different artist.
Yeah, that was some bad looking art in that.
 Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »

Gents, just to chime in on comments.

I'm loving Action and Superman currently. I totally dig the first parts of 'Reborn' and Spoilers for issue 975
I love that this incorporates Morrison's Mxy that was around when DC Rebirth was occurring. THAT'S who this Mxy is !! The one hunted through time and dimensions for his love that sent Superman breaking through all time to fight across worlds in Morrison's first 18 issues. That's why I really enjoy seeing this guy back (I've always had a huge soft spot for Mxyzptlk), and I can understand why he's pissed or saddened or angry-the wrong Superman is around, and hasn't ever dealt with him on this world!! But Mxy now knows this.

Um...yeah, Ultimates was super high for me, then the Civil War stuff crept through. Serious damage there. Oh wait, you guys are talking Ultimates 2 or something.

Did you know Green Valley is only 9 issues? I found that out...and was truly glad for a planned 'short' story.

Perry...I agree with said rant. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:28 PM »

Yes, the fact the Green Valley is only 9 issues is the only reason I agreed to read it. And that's odd as I usually like to read the first issue, maybe two, of a mini and then wait until it is completed to read the rest. But this one, Apollo and Midnighter, and a couple more have crept into my "read now" practice.

And just skip the last couple issue of Ultimates and start with Ultimates 2. The recap everything well enough. Still miss Roc's art, but this is okay. Better than the issue Jeff was talking about Grin but what isn't
 Cheesy

Thanks for the insight on the Action/Supes stuff, Jimmy.

What I was able to squeeze in before the Tuesday midnight deadline -

Batman #15
Batman #16
- This is written well, the dialog is good, it is just not the correct voices is all. I am reading ... well ... because it is Batman and I can't seem to stay away, but it isn't really Batman and crew. Not really. Again, it is good, if you just use standard figures in the scenes, but people are acting, not all the way "out of character" per se, but just ... weird, different. Eh, it's okay, I am still enjoying it for some reason. I just have to take deep breaths before I start reading is all.  Wink

Midnighter and Apollo #5
Midnighter and Apollo #6
- A good book, man. Good ending. Good story. Yeah, I dug this mini!!

Occupy Avengers #4 - Reading this book for the purpose of ... no idea. I think I just want to see more Nighthawk and Red Wolf, even though both of those characters were pretty absent in this issue  Sad
Thanos #4 - Don't care, I love Deodato's art. YEs, a lot of copy and paste, but the shading, the poses, the back-grounds (which are even more copy and paste  Grin) just sets the tone for every book he is on. Sad to know this book will not last as Deo is off to ... another book I will buy.
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS