HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:56:02 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blade premieres in theaters November 7, 2025.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Iron Fist  (Read 11828 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 24, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »

MARCH 17

Marvel's Iron Fist (Season 1) [Netflix Original]

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:27:22 AM »

Yep, been on my calendar for months and been trying to avoid the trailers they keep putting out.  Smiley
Already told the wife "With or without you I am watching this starting Saturday"  Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »

Man, I haven't "read" the reviews, but I have seen all the rankings that were given for the first six episodes and crap, they are brutal.
Looks like Marvel or Marvel-Netflix finally flubbed and gave us a bad show.

DAMN IT!!!!
I hope I enjoy it, I know you can't trust reviews (as they say), but when most everyone says it is crap, it is usually crap, even though some fans may still like it as it is a character they enjoy. However, with a 14% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 32 rating on Metacritic ... well ... shit
 Embarrassed Undecided Embarrassed Angry Angry Cry Cry Undecided Embarrassed

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »

Oh well, that's awful! But I was hoping for another homerun.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »

Dropped today.  Anyone started it?

I haven't but I have a friend who has watched the first two episodes so far and he doesn't see what the haters are talking about.  He says its good.  Will have to see....

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »

Once again I am stuck  Wink waiting for the wife.
Been dying to click all day, but trying to actually watch this show only once ... based on reviews ... until I feel safe enough to move ahead on my own and watch it again with her, like I usually do with these things.
 Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »

So me and the wife sat down to watch the first episode in plenty of time to watch at least two more if the mood hit us. The only thing that hit us was the stench that came from my tv while playing this horrible excuse for a show. The dialog is putrid and worse, it wastes time, making the entire show, or the 28 minutes or so we were able to watch, junk.

So, for example and spoilers for the first 20 minutes of episode one -

Danny returns to his dads building to find his childhood "friends" are now in charge of the company. They don't recognize him, so they throw him out of the building. Now, the entire time he is telling them "I am Danny Rand" and "We were friends", but not one time does he do what ANYONE would do in that situation and say something along the lines of "Remember that time when you ..." Oh no, nothing like that at all. He just allows himself to get thrown out.

He then meets a bum who has a stolen iPhone and the bum says "you can look up anyone on this thing" (or some shit like that) and asks if Danny wants to look up anyone. Danny says "Yes, look up Danny Rand" and wow, the only thing that shows up is a picture of Danny and his family? What kind of internet is this shit?

Then, the next day ... or hell, it could have been the same day he was thrown out of the building and that bum shit happened after this. I don't know nor care. Anyway ... Danny breaks into his old house to find that one of those friends from earlier now live there. He confronts her and again ... SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THE PAST TO LET HER KNOW IT REALLY IS HIM?Huh? Nope a taxi almost hits him, he jumps over it and then runs away.
I could go on as that is really only the first 10 minutes or so, but I am not mentioning the even dumber parking garage scene and I am so pissed right now ... I just want to wash my hands of this. I will try again, later, maybe, but there is no doubt in my mind that this deserves all the poor reviews it is getting and will get.

Like a bad SYFY show.

2 outta 10 iron brain writers

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
 Sad Angry Angry Angry Angry Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

EDIT -

I haven't but I have a friend who has watched the first two episodes so far and he doesn't see what the haters are talking about.  He says its good.

I have a few choice words for your friend
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Wink
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:48:32 AM by Perry » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:26:07 PM »

Shocked

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 01:21:25 AM »

So, honestly, before child interrupted, I've watched 45 min of the first 60 min episode

I just don't...like any character.

Starting with Danny; if he was lost some time around the age of 9, then he should understand that people wear shoes, that he looks like a bum, and that no one is going to trust him. He seems...dense. Dense is a polite way of saying 'moron' here. If he's my protagonist, I honestly have to ask 'why'. These shows have almost ALL started slow, but this is rather pathetic.

What Perry says about the some of the ridiculousness of not trying to prove himself to old childhood friends stacks up true. Also, poor writing in those two situations for our main character not actually trying to really prove himself! That's bad writing.

Also; do all high level execs in New York have hitmen under their payroll? I know the Koch brothers are buy everything and prove themselves with money, but are they blatantly hiring murderers and killers? I know, I know, comic world situation, but still! Don't like this guy after one day, so you hire a crew to kill them? And they'll all keep quiet? Can't one exec simply be a dickhead without being notoriously shown to be evil?

But, I digress; this is all supposed to show that our hero is an outsider to a world he once belonged-that he has no one he can rely on; no one he can trust. A hero's road is often a lonely one, and a difficult one to travel.

I just already feel that that is simply not being done well in the writing.

"I just need to talk <Harold><your father><you>"

-Will you tell us why?-

"....I just need to talk..."

This isn't how real people talk! Someone would have simply said "I need help! I need money!! What happened to my family? Why didn't anyone look for me!? Why's my name still on the building?!"

Another ep at least....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »

Sure is nice to have someone more articulate around here to help express my "This damn thing sucks because ... something happened" verbal 'spewage'.
 Cheesy

Yeah, what Jimmy said!
 Smiley

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 08:42:12 PM »

Hearing that after episode 6 or even starting with that episode, Iron Fist gets really good. I just don't know. Man, that first episode, the one I still have to finish, was such a chore, filled with so much bad writing based on things that would not happen, I am not ready to dive back in yet.

Yes, I want that to be true, but I am sill scarred and that wound may take some time to heal ... I wanted to like IF so badly, after all
 Undecided

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 11:56:35 AM »

Okay, so I have crawled my way to episode #6.

Have not watched it yet, but I will say that episode #5 actually had me starting to pay attention  Grin I can honestly say, and I will tell everyone/anyone that if you want to watch this show, start at episode #5. Everything prior is pretty rough. And while episode #5 has some problems, it is hands and 'fists'  Wink better than the first four.

I am now at least somewhat excited to continue.

And I know I am late as hell to speak on this, but to those that are bitching that they didn't cast an Asian in the lead role of Danny and this is another case of "Hollywood Whitewashing", STOP IT!!!
 Tongue

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »

Ya know what is worse than watching the first three episodes of this "Iron Fist"? Watching the last six.

This may very well be, due to the horrible writing, the horrible plot, the horrible dialog, the horrible "action scenes", the horrible acting, the complete and horrible characterization of the main character, the complete and horrible characterization of the antagonist, the horrible directing (hey, they editing was okay) .. this may be the worst comic adaption I have ever been witness to.

I would rather watch Arrow, all seasons in a row, than watch five more minutes of this crap (sorry, Jimmy). Hell, I would rather watch Transformers 3, Howard the Duck, the 1979 Captain America movie, the 1990 Captain America movie, the Man-Thing direct to VHS movie, Spawn, The 1994 Fantastic Four movie, the 2015 Fantastic Four movie, Catwoman, Jonah Hex and the dance scene from Spider-Man 3 all on constant non-stop loop for 5 years than watch another 5 minutes of this "Iron Fist"

I spit on this ... effort.

2 outta 10 - whiny Dannys
 Roll Eyes Angry

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »

I finally decided to start this.  Based on everything I've heard I also decided to forget everything I know about Iron Fist before watching. 

So I watched episode one and I'm scared, nay terrified, to say......I didn't hate it.

Please don't hurt me.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »

I ... I just have no words for this.

I don't understand.

Maybe it will hit you later? That is all I can say?
 Huh Undecided Huh Angry Sad Huh Cry

Grin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS