HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:06:25 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avengers: Pleastant Hill storyline  (Read 7377 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: January 15, 2017, 03:04:41 AM »

I fucking hate SHIELD.

I've made no bones about it in the past, but I hate that uber-world organization that seemingly answers to no one, is run by person with utter control. Who put Hill into place? It's not like I liked it any better when Nick Fury called all the shots, but to hell with this control group deciding what is good or right.

If it's due process of law to keep supervillains locked up somewhere, fine. But a secret clandestine place deserves to fail. And I'm glad to see it be a black mark on SHIELD.

If they want the villains removed from everywhere...then be 'real world' and just kill them. What would SHIELD care if they did that? They are ALL about ends justifying the means. But, you can't, because-comics. So, the results just make the team look pathetic and weird and sad.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 04:49:54 PM »

Cheesy

Not a fan of fascism, huh?   Grin

I understand what you're saying. I do think however that SHIELD works for me just for that reason. An organization that does "good", but to what extent and reason? And always without any oversight? Yeah, that isn't good, and that makes it fun

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:46:58 PM »

I dropped this from my reading list just to trim the fat.  Is it something I should put back on?  Doesn't sound like it from Jimmy's comment....

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 06:26:22 PM »

I dropped this from my reading list just to trim the fat.  Is it something I should put back on?  Doesn't sound like it from Jimmy's comment....

Yeah, we never talked about this at all ...  Cheesy

Pleasant Hill - Needed as a set up for future stories, and it was quick, but not great. Kinda fun though.

Avengers: Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill (2016) - and tie-ins - Read if you have time. Effects Captain America and the Uncanny Avengers titles, but you can also just figure that out as you go. Main title is all you need (I thought you read this already?)

Standoff is a short crossover, though shorter for me as I didn't read or know about the Illuminati one  Cheesy but I think it is only two issues with a few "tie-in" issues, but I only read the following and I felt like I got a complete story (and there is stuff that comes out of it that is important so at least read the Alpha and Omega)

The Avengers Stand-Off: Welcome to Pleasant Hill (Prelude)
The Avengers Stand-Off: Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha
All-New Avengers #7
All-New Avengers #8
Captain America (Sam Wilson) #7
Captain America (Sam Wilson) #8
The Avengers Stand-Off: Assault on Pleasant Hill Omega

That is all I read and I may have missed something, but honestly, I felt like I got a good story. Heck, Im trying to remember if the Avengers ones were even pertinent to the event or if it was Sam? Maybe it was both, maybe it was neither? I think you can skip them both if you are not reading them already. Or skip Sam if you're not reading that, as I know you're reading Waid's Avengers.

Thunderbolts (2016) #1

I'm looking forward to that Thunderbolts comic.  Let us know if it's good or not.

It was your basic first issue giving a little history and setting up new headquarters. I like the art and the characters and definitely getting the first arc.

I liked the art a lot more than I thought I would, which was pleasant. The story however? Well, Rodney and I just disagree on a little here. While I am not trying to blast anyone's writing, this was pretty badly written (Huh? Maybe I am trying to blast it?)
 Cheesy
Seriously though, it was pretty rough. It was a very ... ya know ... let me just say I didn't enjoy the book but am shocked the art wasn't the reason. I am not a fan of this artist ... nor his mentor's styles (Liefeld), so was kinda happy that aspect didn't weigh me down as much as the very bad, and very scattershot writing.

Again, just my onion. If you enjoy it that is great!!
 Cool

This book should exist, the reason this is the team ... makes no sense. And yes, I read the 2 or 3 part Kobik Happy or Pleasant Hill mini-event. This team-up still baffles me. I know "why" they are together, but no, I don't know "WHY" they are together.

Grin

I mean, really?
 Cheesy

EDIT - Once again, I may have pushed the joke too far. I hate second guessing myself like this
 Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 07:43:11 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »

Lol. I knew we had discussed it but for some reason I was thinking you had said it wasn't something I had to read.  Clearly I was mistaken.   Cheesy

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »

Cheesy

And well, not that you have to read, but it does explain why a lot of things in the Marvel Universe are the way they are, so it is important in that regard. And by "iot explains why things in the Marvel Universe are the way they are" I mean comic wise, not production wise. We may never know that.
 Cheesy

Also, thanks to MU I hate that I can not say "MU" now without thinking someone may think I mean MU instead of MU.
 Wink

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:41:48 AM »

We could say M,U for Marvel, Unlimited. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:41:01 AM »

A logical choice, but then I couldn't nit pick
 Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS