HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 10:34:14 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom  premieres in theaters now!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hey Jimmy, Book question  (Read 3026 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: February 08, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »

I know you are a fantasy book reader to the Nth degree  Smiley, so I figured you probably know of this author (I am sure). Have you read and do you like Brandon Sanderson? I believe he finished up one of your series you enjoyed (Wheel of Time), but have you read his Stormlight stuff and if so, is it a worthy addition to fantasy lore?

I have a chance to possibly pick-up a couple of his audio books (my preferred reading style when not in bed) so I am curious before venturing further if you could use a 'lighted path' spell to help me in my quest for knowledge on this subject.
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »

I believe he finished up one of your series you enjoyed (Wheel of Time).....

Ah Wheel of Time, I need to finish that first book.  Another one that I started and never got back too......

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »

I have quite enjoyed his work. From the Alloy of Steel, to Elantris, to the Stormlight,all is really good. He had just written a book linking all his various magic worlds together in one mega continuity,so that remains to be seen if it's good. 

He describes his Stormlight series as his Lord of the Rings And Wheel of Time. Wants to write 10 books every other 2 years. He's 4 years and 2 books behind. He'd now finish the series when I'm 54.not holding my breath.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 11:47:42 AM »

Thanks man.
Does his books feel like a quick read or are they more ... ones you should take your time with? I like both styles  Grin, just curious.

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:33:00 AM »

Elantris was a one and done book. I kinda really loved it!! I figured out the ending myself, too, so I was pleased as punch about that.

Considering the theme of all entertainment is 'trilogies', and by trilogies, we mean probably 5, because it became really easy to keep this money train good idea running!

It's a weird complaint; I know. But devoting 9-11 years to one series, 5-6 books, sometimes seems like an endeavor not worth starting-ESPECIALLY if the author is really only writing one story that is spanning 6 books!

Sanderson is pretty good at giving you one story within a book. The first Alloy of Steel trilogy was good for that. Singular stories each book, but they all played to the overall objective.

His War of Kings...a little less so. So much world building (and REALLY good once you are involved with it), but kind of ...not much gets revealed in the first 2 books or a proposed 10 part series spanning 19 years....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:29:31 AM »

great insight.
Will keep all that in mind, and will now avoid that War of Kings stuff.  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS