HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 03:01:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Spiderverse 3 premieres in theaters March 29, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Great comment on Comics right now  (Read 2306 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: January 29, 2017, 04:23:48 PM »

So I'm watching the extras on the Burton batman move discussion edition from several years ago, when frank miler said this " there has been an attempt to bring an artificial realty to super heroes which I think is rather stupid. They work best as the flamboyant fantasies that they are. These are characters that are broad and big. I don't really need to see sweat patches under superman's arms, I need to see him fly. "

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »

Smiley
I totally agree ... sometimes.  Wink

Other times I want a more realistic interpretation of "super-heroes".

Its like shortly after I logged onto HeroRealm (or maybe it was after Alex left??) and Jimmy and I had a debate about Marvel vs DC (shocking, yes?)  Cheesy How I felt that DC was so golden and supreme with their over-powered heroes that could do anything that made their comics feel very "fantasy" and sometimes, to me, too unrealistic. Which is why when I was a young lad, just getting into the joy of comics, I graduated more towards Marvel's "real world problems" and limited (in comparison) power-set of heroes.

Again, that was my feeling. Yours may be totally different  Grin

Now, however, DC has done a great thing by making their heroes a little less omnipotent, a tad more faulty and thus making them a tad more realistic to me. Does that one aspect (of many) partially take away from the fantasy nature? I can certainly see where it can/does, but I appreciate the stories more. I know with Superman I can appreciate the not-so-super Superman a lot more than I could the "there is no limits" Superman.

But yeah, I can see the need and the desire to sometimes just let heroes be like they were intended to be every once and awhile. Just fly, baby.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:14:23 AM »

Right? Just fly baby.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS