HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 09:51:42 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Despicable Me 4 premieres in theaters July 4, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My idea for a Spider-Man Homecoming sequel  (Read 5864 times)
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« on: August 02, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »

Loosely based on these comics.

While no one will hold a candle to J.K. Simmons' J. Jonah Jameson, I'd like to see the character back in the films.  He could be a newspaper editor/cable news editorial host who likes to stir controversy. The most public backer for the super hero registration act in the MCU.

He turns most of NYC on Spidey and launches a huge smear campaign. Until, Spidey just happens to save Jameson's son from some incident.

Losing face he tries to spin the facts and make Spidey look like the villain, meanwhile investing in "Hero Slayers." A special robotics task force he's backing financially to be the new police force against non-registered heroes created by Spencer Smythe. (Like Sentinels to mutants.) He plans to do this after he gets himself or his son on the ticket for next year's mayor campaign.

A few "Spider Slayers" are sent Parker's way - each deadlier than the last - but he deals with them all.

Spidey starts becoming a hero to the public again and Jameson's newspaper sales and ratings are going down. Jonah decides to back a hero of his own making that can also be "the ultimate spider slayer" at the same time.

Enter Mac Gargan becoming Scorpion.

Conning Spider-Man out into the open publicly, Scorpion is made to be a bigger hero than Spidey. On two occasions he provokes Spidey into fighting him. After the first fight Spidey is beaten up and humiliated. On the second, Gargan's scorpion aggression really kicks in and he nearly kills Spidey. The city, and even Jameson, turns on Gargan and Gargan goes nuts.

Scorpion makes a plan to expose Jameson. He goes to the Smythe factory to live stream the truth. Jameson shows up telling Smythe to shut it all down before he's exposed. Scorpion takes Spencer Smythe and Jameson hostage. Spidey sees the stream and goes to stop Scorpion, but gets taken down for a third time. During the fight, Gargan shackles Spidey and Jameson together with the shackle bomb Smythe made to restrain Spider-Man. The shackle also releases an EMP that takes out Spidey's high tech suit.

Meanwhile, Scorpion forces Spencer Smythe to turn the Slayers on the citizens of NY.  Spencer refuses, so Scorpion grabs his son Alistair and breaks the kid's back. He threatens to finish Alistair if Spencer doesn't do it. Scorpion then allows Spidey to go and stop them, but has to take Jameson with him, obviously. Spidey has a short amount of time to save as many people as he can while trying to free himself and/or stop the bomb from going off. Jonah bickering the whole way. What everyone doesn't know, is that Scorpion has a remote control to set the bomb off even if saves everyone in time.

Meanwhile, several camera drones are programmed to follow Spidey/Jonah - for Scorpion's live stream feed. All Spidey and the NYPD are distracted, Scorpion pulls off a heist of some kind. He takes Spencer with him as a hostage while checking the stream on his phone to see how Spidey and Jonah are doing.

Eventually, Spidey breaks free and saves Jonah along the way, while stopping the slayers. Luckily, Scorpion's too distracted at the time with the heist to notice Spidey and Jonah getting free with seconds to spare. (Here we can work in some last moment drama that the bomb goes off thanks to the remote before Spidey can properly dispose of it and some innocent people get hurt. Jameson can either turn the blame on Spidey or take it on himself at the end of the movie as a "thank you.")

Alistair manages to patch into Spidey's com link from the factory now that the costume is back on-line. He tells Spidey where Scorpion went and makes Spidey promise to save his father. Spidey promises.

Spidey confronts Scorpion - major fight breaks out. Being too tough to fight head-on, Spidey eventually outsmarts Scorpion to win, however is unable to save Spencer.

We cut to one year later. J. Jonah Jameson is in hiding from the public. The Daily Bugle goes out of business with many losing their jobs - Peter blames himself. (Earlier in the movie we can work in that Parker was doing an internship at the Bugle or that Aunt May works there to make a more personal connection.)

John Jameson continues to run for mayor anyway, but is too disgraced by association to his father to win.

Alistair Smythe - now angry at the world and Spider-Man for not being able to save his father -  takes a meeting with the new mayor with some plans on how to get revenge on Spider-Man and the Jameson family. Also, on how to keep the super hero community in NYC in check.

The meeting is with newly elected Mayor Rodrick Kingsley.

End movie.

(Obviously, there'd be some high school drama stuff in there too, but that's my rough idea.)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 02:34:05 AM »

You HONESTLY made me fangirl "SQUEEEE!" with the Mayor reveal!!!

Story got better and more ramped up as you got writing through it. I have questions on earlier stuff in it, but it's late for me, but I like the cut of your gib, and would like to promote you to writer of the second movie, Tok. Smiley

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 02:36:42 AM »

Oh, okay, real quick-

-'who' is this Mac Gargan? If this follows the first movie, why get an ex-con arms dealer to become a pretend super hero? How to get him on board? How will the Smythes' know that this dude, once with a power suit, simply won't go power hungry nuts and do whatever crazy batsh!t stuff he wants?

Does he fit a social profile? He's got the attitude they want to go versus Spidey-all the while easily mind-wiped and controlled at first? Because you have to hide the dirtbag in plain sight-and get him to play along with it.

Wow me with that. Grin Cheesy

Jimmy T since 2001
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 03:43:21 PM »

You HONESTLY made me fangirl "SQUEEEE!" with the Mayor reveal!!!

Story got better and more ramped up as you got writing through it. I have questions on earlier stuff in it, but it's late for me, but I like the cut of your gib, and would like to promote you to writer of the second movie, Tok. Smiley

Thanks for the kind word, as always, Jimmy.

I fully accept your promotion.  Grin

Part of me wanted either Rodrick Kingsley to exit the room towards the camera and his face morphs into the Chameleon's.

Or Mayor Kingsley's top adviser meets with Alister, then leaves the room to change into the Chameleon.

Even for non-comic fans the Chameleon reveal might be the more exciting note to end on.
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 04:24:14 PM »

Oh, okay, real quick-

-'who' is this Mac Gargan? If this follows the first movie, why get an ex-con arms dealer to become a pretend super hero? How to get him on board? How will the Smythes' know that this dude, once with a power suit, simply won't go power hungry nuts and do whatever crazy batsh!t stuff he wants?

Does he fit a social profile? He's got the attitude they want to go versus Spidey-all the while easily mind-wiped and controlled at first? Because you have to hide the dirtbag in plain sight-and get him to play along with it.

Wow me with that. Grin Cheesy

Good questions. I did get excited and gloss over that and whatever high school/love interest drama should be going on.

<POSSIBLE "SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING" SPOILERS AHEAD>

Who is Mac Gargan?
We could go several ways with this.
1.) Maybe Mac was a deep undercover police, federal, or SHIELD agent the whole time trying to bust up the weapons ring. (There were FBI agents there so that could still work. Either Mac was working with them or he was working for another agency.)
When Spider-Man busted up the weapons sale before Mac could tell anyone who he was Spidey took him out. Afterwords Gargan's picture is plastered in the Bugle. Officials keep him undercover in prison to keep tabs on "the Vulture." The Tinkerer went missing after the last movie and Gargan wants to nab him while possibly finding out Spider-Man's real identity, if the Vulture knows. However, Gargan is outed as being undercover thanks to the Bugle report. Years of work go down the tubes, not to mention his fellow inmates almost kill him. He blames both Spider-Man and Jameson, but Jonah offers Mac a chance to be a hero, while getting back at Spider-Man.

2.) He's a former NYPD detective who was as corrupt as the come for years. (Possibly working for the Kingpin, Tombstone, Silvermaine, or all of the above.) He gets busted by Captain Stacy or Captain DeWolfe and has to make a run for it, but first Mac needs to make one last score - leading to the arms deal on the boat. Since he use to spill stories about police cases to Jameson all the time - and has proof doing so - Mac blackmails Jonah to get out of prison. Jonah pulls some strings for Mac, as the story would ruin Jameson's media empire and chance at the mayor's office. Spencer Smythe and/or Dr. Stillwell (if he gets included) wants to use Mac for some clinical tests on new ways to rehabilitate criminals. Smythe convinces Jonah that Mac can not only be controlled, but be turned into an aid to society. Gargan is under no way controlled, he's just a clever enough con to fool everyone - except maybe Alistar - that he's completely rehabilitated.
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »

Sorry, I got called way before the third option.

3.) Roxxon Oil and/or Justin Hammer is investing in making their own "super types." (Something they're calling: "Project: Justice Like Lightning") The invest into Jameson's campaign and offer to help with the project to make their own hero. Jonah agrees.
Meanwhile, Gargan breaks out of prison and makes a get away with Roxxon and/or Hammer's help. Mac was already a mercenary working for them during the arms deal. He botched the sale because of Spider-Man and couldn't convince Vulture to give up Spidey's identity.
To make it up to them they volunteer Mac for Jameson's imitative. Jonah refuses to use a criminal, but Roxxon and/or Hammer demand they use Gargan or they pull financing.
Jonah reluctantly agrees, turning Mac into the "hero" the Scorpion. From there Jonah either withholds Scorpion's secret identity or Roxxon/Hammer gives him a new face and backstory.

4.) Eh... John Jameson and Mac Gargan were buddies in the military. Mac either saved John's life or John thinks his buddy deserves a second chance. He has Jonah pull some strings to get Mac out of prison and into the Scorpion role.

5.) Mac Gargan is just the test subject. Once Smythe (or whoever) proves the process is safe, Jonah has his son John become the Scorpion. Jonah had no plans on making Gargan a hero, he just wanted a guinea pig. John becomes NYC's biggest hero, especially with Jonah's media empire pushing him.
The process turns Gargan further into becoming a psycho criminal with John Jameson soon to follow.

Yeah, not as happy with those. Especially the last 2.

The 5th one really changes everything. Part of me thinks that was the Spectacular Spider-Man's plans for Scorpion/John Jameson if they got another season. Just my guess.
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 01:56:39 AM »

I think I like #2 of your options.

If I were to piggyback on your ideas, I like that Scorpion doesn't necessarily have it in personally for Spidey; it's more a job or a gig, and a bit of payback.

Mixing in some of the comics, I always liked it when it was shown Gargan was a bit mentally unstable around Spider-man, since a scorpion is a predator for a spider, so whatever it was done to give Gargan some superhuman abilites messed his brain up. He essentially can't control his facilities well enough when the Spider is around. Those stories I always liked best.

So, imagine your #2, where they pretend to set Gargan up as a hero, but Gargan is just going to play everyone so he comes out on top, but with Spidey around, Gargan goes off his rocker, messes everything up for himself, and in his unhinged state, comes to hate Hate HATE Spider-man, and can easily blame Jameson for putting him in the boat he is now. Also, imagine a Gargan that knows he's going crazy, but can't control it.

I know if I could write comics, I'd write a cool 3-4 parter with Gargan Scorpion acting like this. Just 2 guys, rather evenly matched, with a damned powerful unhinged man who can't hold back the longer the fight goes.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »

oh, I want to play  Angry but not being able to read any of these posts, because I still haven't seen the damn movie (or Guardians 2) makes Perry a dull boy!
 Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 03:02:25 AM »

I think I like #2 of your options.

If I were to piggyback on your ideas, I like that Scorpion doesn't necessarily have it in personally for Spidey; it's more a job or a gig, and a bit of payback.

Mixing in some of the comics, I always liked it when it was shown Gargan was a bit mentally unstable around Spider-man, since a scorpion is a predator for a spider, so whatever it was done to give Gargan some superhuman abilites messed his brain up. He essentially can't control his facilities well enough when the Spider is around. Those stories I always liked best.

So, imagine your #2, where they pretend to set Gargan up as a hero, but Gargan is just going to play everyone so he comes out on top, but with Spidey around, Gargan goes off his rocker, messes everything up for himself, and in his unhinged state, comes to hate Hate HATE Spider-man, and can easily blame Jameson for putting him in the boat he is now. Also, imagine a Gargan that knows he's going crazy, but can't control it.

I know if I could write comics, I'd write a cool 3-4 parter with Gargan Scorpion acting like this. Just 2 guys, rather evenly matched, with a damned powerful unhinged man who can't hold back the longer the fight goes.

Thanks, man. I probably lean towards the second one the most. Having the rage problems with the whole "a scorpion being the natural predator of the spider" makes sense. It's one of the reasons I still believe Scorpion was Venom before Venom, in a sense. A physical superior created to destroy. If he kept up stalking a rookie Parker as a detective, he may have had the chance to figure out he was Spidey all along.

Of all the Spidey villains to reboot or re-examine mine would have to be Gargan. To do a 3-6 parter to "Kraven's Last Hunt" the character would be a dream. That's why writing up this sequel idea was so fun because some of the things I'd do are in there.

An update I'd add to the comics would be for the notion that he was "stuck in the suit" - which he was under for years - was implanted by Dr. Stillwell under secret orders from the Kingpin. Kingpin (still thought was a legit businessman) suggests Gargan's detective skills to Jonah. Fisk obviously having a vested interest in learning Spidey's identity as well.

Meanwhile, Stillwell wanted to settle some gambling or drug debts to Fisk's organization, so Stillwell suggested his research to create a scorpion counter to Spider-Man as payment.

Kingpin tells Stillwell to pitch the idea to Jameson so he'd pay for it. Then Stillwell could use his other technology to implant the idea in Mac's brain that he could never remove the suit unless he killed both Spider-Man and Jameson. Fisk added Jameson so there'd be no way to tell the public and authorities about Stillwell's tech. Plus, Fisk was interested in buying out the Bugle at the time, but couldn't do it with Jonah in the way. While Stillwell was adding that idea Fisk could have any memory Gargan would have of meeting him removed to cover his tracks.

Of course, Scorpion killed Stillwell and controlling Gargan was now out of the question, so Fisk backed away.

After all these years, Gargan pieces it together once he's able to calm his anger long enough to use his detective skills again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS