HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:07:14 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Thunderbolts premieres in theaters July 25, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: JLA vs SUICIDE SQUAD  (Read 2771 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 29, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »

Issue #s 1 and 2

This is really enjoyable to me. A good weekly "event" that you can read, or not as I don't think anything will change, but just have fun with while ya go. A return of a ...great(?) villain. Haha, I only question that as I am not sure what the main DC audience thinks of this ... character. I enjoy ... him/her/or it  Wink ... so "great" for me, but is it a "great" villain for most? I just don't know.

Looking forward to reading the remaining 4 issues, weekly (Yay), though not too sure I will enjoy reading the two Suicide tie-in issues. Hoping I just have to read issue #9 while issue #10 of Suicide will just be a wrap up I can skip.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »

So before I get to issue three, which I read a lot harder than the last two, I must come clean about something. I don't think I read the first two issues with the clarity and resolve that I should have. I was talking to some guys at the LCS and mentioned how I was enjoying this title so far and ... man ... they slammed the hell out of me  Cheesy
Now I was fine with their calling me names and while I think calling my mother anything is stepping beyond the line  Cheesy they asked me how I could take the Waller/Alfred thing and still think this book was good. My reply was "What Waller/Alfred thing?"

Well, I re-read this damn thing and man ... I don't know if I just skimmed over these two pages or those two issues. If I was just lost in the crowd noise when I read it or just talking to the guys and didn't register but holy hell there is a spot in this book that should almost ruin the entire run for everyone.

Amanda Waller
just shows up at the ... no, shows up IN the Batcave, tells Alfred to shut the hell up, goes over to the Bat'puter and downloads some shit and walks out!!!!! Who the hell decided this was okay? Why is Alfred, a great fighting tactician just allowing this to happen? Why is Williamson making him a little spineless bitch?

I remember Bats talking about what Waller did but I thought it happened in the Suicide Squad title. I mean I have missed a thing or two in comics before but jeeeez, how did I miss that happening? I really think I just flipped right passed that. It's the only thing I can think of. Unless my meds are off again
 Cheesy
 Cheesy
 Undecided
 Cheesy

Anyway, I read ... I re-read both issues and that does seem to be the only thing I really missed (though I didn't get any warm fuzzies remembering what I was reading again like I should have and the last couple pages of issue #2 was not as good as I thought at first ... and the overall dialog at times is ... well ... was I drunk?) but I felt good enough to read issue #3 now. Or try to at least.
 Cheesy

Issue #3

Ugh !!!
So Batman can break right through Leather straps now?

Look, if you want to go back to early 1980's writing, than this book is for you. It is fun, honestly, for that reason. It feels like reading a 80's comic. All the craziness, all the bad dialog, all the bad things that made people joke comics and comic readers is all here. But it is also, as I had said about the first two issues that I didn't read too well  Cheesy, it is fun. It just is.

Maybe that is what I did last time, just forgot all the problems and just enjoyed a book that seemed like a book I was reading back when I was younger. There is no nostalgia here, but it does have that old school feel to it. Yeah, that is thought on the subject.

Should you read the thing? I think so, if you can get passed the Waller/Alfred thing (which I am not sure I would have, originally) you should enjoy this as a "oh what the hell" kinda book. I wouldn't blame you for liking this.

If you don't enjoy this book ... I don't blame ya for that either.
 Grin

If you're in the mood for this, it is
7 outta 10 - learners permits  Cheesy

if you are in the mood for todays better written and structured book
4 outta 10 - Little scared Alfreds
 Angry

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS