HR Boards
March 19, 2024, 10:13:45 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 10422 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: December 23, 2016, 05:08:38 AM »

I will get around to expounding at length. ..when I can!  Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:04:33 PM »

Saw this yesterday with the family.  Even my Mom liked it.

If they don't get the Oscar for special effects I don't who would.  Loved this movie.  It's better than the Force Awakens.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:54:58 PM »

Hoping to go Monday. Originally, about two months ago, we were going to go on X-Mas day, but now wife is having the family over for lunch/dinner and of course Pittsburgh plays at 4:15. That kills the day.

Can I sound more selfish? Nah ...
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »

Okay, saw it. enjoyed it. And now spoiler type thoughts.

Let's start with the bad  Grin

One of the things I didn't like, and I am not sure how they could have fixed my issue without making this a much, much longer movie, is the lack of reasoning with the characters. It just seemed to me that most of the people that latched onto the "Rogue One Squad", that gave their lives for the cause, had little to no motivation in doing so. Now yes, I know they (mostly) were already part of the resistance (in some form) and so had that as their drive or purpose (fight the Empire and all that), but the way they all decided to go on this mission, essentially off screen, left me feeling no connection to their deaths/sacrifice. Again, I get the main reason, but the movie did a poor job of giving us any form of emotional understanding to their reasoning and thus I lacked the sadness of worse, lacked the pride of their death. Even the Blind dude and Machine Gun dude died with no impact for me (yeah, I can't remember their names  Grin)

Heck even the main star(s) died in a manner that I felt a lack of ... caring. That is an issue. When you don't care what happens to any of the characters in the movie, especially the main characters, there is a major problem with your movie.

Now true, you can say that the lack of that very connection thing is what makes this movie good, so I am glad it hit you that way.

Also, on to other things, didn't like the Hammerhead pushing the Star Destroyer into another Star Destroyer and totally destroying it. Like it was a Lego model or something. Wish they would have just pushed the one Star Destroyer into the Force Field ... circle thing  Cheesy ... instead of that. Though it looked cool.

Didn't like Forrest Whitaker's character at all. Sol ... whatever ... Undecided

Thought "The Pilot" was misused, greatly.

There is more, but let's just leave it for now. I did like the movie. Mostly Cheesy

Loved the Easter Eggs. Still amazed by the Empires architects that insist on putting large columns surrounded by massive amounts of empty air in most of their constructs. Loved the CGI use (though I am hearing I am a small sect of people that did). Loved the look. Love that you can go from this movie right into Episode IV. And the greatest thing about this movie ... the greatest thing that makes this movie one of the best SW movies ever? The fact that they solved the greatest bitch about Star Wars and why they would ever build this massive Death Star with such an easy way to destroy it.

Thanks so much for that.

All and all I had a good time. Good movie that is marred by the lack of connection to any characters knocks it down.

7 outta 10 - "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father"s
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »

I have actually really held off on telling people the particulars of why I thought the movie was 'really good'-which in Jimmy T speak is "way better than okay!"

I didn't think it was great.

Oh, greatly made, looks great, great effort.

But I also understood a few things going in.

They would all die. Duh. Not a doubt. I would have actually been happier to see the Empire pilot...Bodhi survive, and somehow pretend to show him at the final scene of ANH getting ready to attack the Death Star. So, I was really looking, REALLY looking to see how I get locked into these characters before they went. For me, the best part was the friendship of Blind Non-Jedi and his partner Machine Gun Dude. Their friendship shown through the whole movie; and I got that they were lost and adrift in life without purpose and duty, and they found it. But the rest? Well, they had some really great scenes, but I was truly 'meh' to a lot of them.

Mads Mikkelson just about made this movie great by himself with his theater acting piece of the hologram message.The anxiety and fear of the life he lived, his resistance even when he mostly believed there was nothing to live for, and the love that shone for a daughter who had had to trust was alive was the best acting piece of the movie. Just wonderful.

For me, the 2 parts that really drove me out of the movie were 1)a story plot aspect, and 2)A visual tactic and pacing tactic.

1)-The Rebellion gave up. Called it quits. Threw up their hands and went home. WHAT?!! I was so pissed at that big council meeting. 'Things seem to hard. I know we've been rebelling before now, but nope, we can't do it anymore.' SO PISSED TO SEE THAT. Shitty, lazy writing, and it to me, it throws the Rebellion into such a poor place that I can't describe it. Then, they only turn around once they find out Jyn and her crew decided to do the mission anyways. I hated that the Rebellion was 'fractured' , albeit briefly, in this movie, and only came back together when a plucky group of adventurers came together to spit in the eye of the Empire. The Council couldn't have easily said "We'll need to splinter and hide. Disappear into the galaxy. Make plans at our back up rendezvous site after the Empire has lost track of us. This could set us back years." Not this "Ulp! Rebellion over! Everyone go home to their subjagation worlds and rules! Good knowing you!" HATED that.

2)-that damned video game progress pacing at the end of the movie. Wanted a WW2 movie in Star Wars? We got it (which isn't the complaint). The complaint is how they had to get the DS plans by finding and physically manipulating a crane system to pull the data pack out. WHAT? That part is so dumb in the video game. Wait! Now you have to jump out to physically retrieve them, then climb the tower for tension! (actually, this is the least of my concerns right now). But at the top of the tower, you must push your way through 3 telescoping portals to reach the summit. WHY?! Heat vents? to the outside? So, what, birds could sit up there and shit down on your huge data banks? Fly in and nest? Or when it RAINS? why was that there? Because, plot. Plot to slow Jyn's progress down to increase a fake 'tension' to her plight. Ugh.

THEN (see, I kept getting madder), THEN the super cathedral skyscraper dish is out of alignment. Okay, no problem. Just go out to a random computer-OUT IN IN THE OPEN ON A 60 FOOT LONG CAT WALK AWAY FROM THE MAIN TERMINAL.

WHAT?!!! WHAT IN THE F***ING HELL IS THAT FOR??!!! The entire tower is a computer bank and processor, but you need to go, what, eye up the big f***Ing dish and eyeball that it's in alignment? No, because plot. To make Jyn get shot at and OH! make it seem like she might fail!! (at this point, you know for sure that this movie directly goes into the opening crawl of ANH. Tension is gone, you know that they succeed. But, Jyn's purpose is slightly delayed, all to see Krichek or whatever his name is come out to be all Imperial, only to have Cassian come out and be all heroey.

Then they don't even try to leave? Steal a ship? They take a walk to the beach? Neither of them was so wounded that they would bleed out and die.

wow. haven't told anyone that. Hope I didn't ruin anything for Jeff. I truly do. Sad

Even as derivative as Force Awakens was, it made me feel wonder and joy watching. I lost that feeling going through this movie.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »

...THEN the super cathedral skyscraper dish is out of alignment. Okay, no problem. Just go out to a random computer-OUT IN IN THE OPEN ON A 60 FOOT LONG CAT WALK AWAY FROM THE MAIN TERMINAL.

I'm pretty sure that's how DIRECTV works on my dish.  

wow. haven't told anyone that. Hope I didn't ruin anything for Jeff. I truly do. Sad

Even as derivative as Force Awakens was, it made me feel wonder and joy watching. I lost that feeling going through this movie.

Nope I still loved it.  Smiley

Sometimes you just have to embrace the suspension of disbelief.  I figure if I can still love the show 24 despite the fact they said they were working on the "firewall" when it was clear to any IT guy they were using a screw driver on a Dell hard drive, then I should be able to suspend anything.  Cheesy

I actually had some of the same observations/irritations but the only thing I really rolled my eyes on was the catwalk (despite my DIRECTV joke  Grin ).  And the council giving up.  But none of it took away from my enjoyment.

Jimmy did a good job listing the bad so I'll focus on what I liked in no particular order.

1) Blind non-Jedi guy and machine gun guy (yeah, I didn't catch their names either)
2) The explanation for the weakness of the DS.
3) Jyn not immediately buying into the rebel cause. For her it was all about her Dad.
4) Tarkin.  I thought the CGI was great.
5) The return of James Earl Jones (or at least his voice)
6) Jimmy Smits retuning as General Organa and the mention of his "Jedi friend".
7) Mikkelsons performance as Jyn's dad.
8 ) The battles in general were fun to watch.

There were others but I just realized I'm late to pick up my own daughter!  Be back later.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 11:24:34 PM »

I can't believe no one has mentioned the absolute BEST thing about this movie.

the last 10 minutes when we saw Vader...FINALLY....going all bad ass dark side Sith on the Rebel forces on Leia's ship.  That was worth the price of admission alone!

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 12:01:18 PM »

Too much info to dig through. Will have to return
 Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS