HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 11:06:45 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Transformers: A New Generation premieres in theaters September 13, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING  (Read 12738 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 09, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »

Shocked

OH

MY

GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

watch vid first if you haven't before reading
A combination of Peter Parker's Amazing Spider-Man theme and story with a little supporting cast in Miles Morales' best friend Ganke Lee thrown in?

Micheal Keaton making the Vulture BAD-ASS !!! and a shot of the Shocker!!! I wonder who Donald Glover (beside the Shocker) is suppose to be?

Anyway. COOL !!!!

EDIT - Well, looks like I was wrong, sadly. It appears, according to IMBD, that Peter's friend in this trailer is Ned Leeds and not Ganke. I think it is cool they are updating Ned racially in the movies, but he just doesn't look like Ned Leeds. And I am NOT talking about his race. He is too ... chubby and jovial to be Ned. But maybe they are updating him all around? Sorry, but the actor here looks (both physically and racially) and, more importantly, acts and has the dialog of Ganke Lee. It should be Ganke. Maybe they just didn't want to pay Bendis?
 Grin

EDIT 2 - Well hell, reading more at IMBD they are showing Bokine Woodbine as the Shocker, but you can clearly see it isn't him firing that ... shock cannon (?) and is instead Logan Marshall-Green. Who they have no info on. Maybe they have it all wrong and it is Ganke? Okay, enough time spent on this wonderful trailer.
 Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:46:43 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 01:33:47 PM »

Lol. The video after the trailer shows a guys reaction as he watches it for the first time.  It was pretty funny.

Check it out here:  https://youtu.be/Hyfd0tTJ1HM

As for the trailer itself: Awesome!

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »

it looks great...just hope marvels movie magic continues with this and we get well rounded character piece with some web-slinging action.

cant wait
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »

I really enjoyed watching the trailer. Truly did!

Jimmy T since 2001
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 08:15:12 PM »

OK...who's seen it?

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 09:27:28 PM »

Not yet but hopefully tomorrow.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 10:04:54 PM »

OK...who's seen it?

Cheesy

Cow seems to see all his movies within the first 24 hours of release.  Grin

You are on it, my man  Smiley No delay in your game  Grin

I will see it in about 9 days, like I always try to do ... though I was late on W.W. (which I just saw two days ago) and still extremely late on Guardians, but hey I'm slow
 Cheesy
Hope to see this by next Friday at the latest and will try and see Guardians by ... yeah ...   Undecided Undecided Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 03:44:30 AM »

OK...who's seen it?

Cheesy

Cow seems to see all his movies within the first 24 hours of release.  Grin

You are on it, my man  Smiley No delay in your game  Grin

I will see it in about 9 days, like I always try to do ... though I was late on W.W. (which I just saw two days ago) and still extremely late on Guardians, but hey I'm slow
 Cheesy
Hope to see this by next Friday at the latest and will try and see Guardians by ... yeah ...   Undecided Undecided Undecided

guilty as charged.  I have 3 reasons...1)I get to spend some time with my oldest who goes to 98% of them with me, 2)in this day and age, I try my best not to get spoiled before i see it, so I try my best to see it as soon as possible, 3)my life has really centered around my love of comics and larger than life fiction whether it be sci-fi, fantasy or horror (which are my 3 biggies and i include comics and super heroes in sci-fi) and I literally am chomping at the bit to see new Marvel/DC movies, Star Trek, Star Wars and anything that falls anywhere close.  I love this stuff, dude.  I love it.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 05:02:57 AM »

I just saw it. It's a good movie. I have my issues, but I will always have issues with how my Spider-Man is portrayed. I'll do much longer look at it later. But it is a very good movie.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »

guilty as charged.  I have 3 reasons...

Hey Cow, each number you listed is more than a valid reason. If you can do it, you do it, buddy  Smiley I'm more jealous of your ability to do it than knocking the action itself.
 Wink

jedicow
HR Super Hero

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »

guilty as charged.  I have 3 reasons...

Hey Cow, each number you listed is more than a valid reason. If you can do it, you do it, buddy  Smiley I'm more jealous of your ability to do it than knocking the action itself.
 Wink

i knew there was no malice or slight whatsoever intended.  I agree with Jimmy, it was a really good movie but I did have some minor issues with it.  We'll discuss when more of you have caught up.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »

Just got out of the theater.  Very fun movie.  High school Parker is the best Parker.  Will come back and write more when I get home.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »

Here are my initial thoughts.  Some minor gripes but overall I really enjoyed this movie.

Gripes:
1 -
The Stark Spidey Suit.  This is not Iron Man and it was way too much tech.  One of the things I like the most about Spider Man is that fact that Peter has to invent the web shooters and use HIS brain.  I don't like all this stuff just being given to him by Tony.
2 -
Peter's best friend Ned - why didn't they just call him Ganke?  He looks like him, has the same role, etc.  I know Ganke is from Miles Morales' world but come on.  It's the same character.
3 -
The Vulture being Liz Allen's dad.  It was executed well and did surprise me so this is really a very minor gripe.
4 -
Even with Spidey trying to pull the halves of the Ferry back together wouldn't it have sunk before Iron Man could push it back together and weld it?  It was a fun scene to watch but not believable.

Loved:
1 -
When Peter lost the Stark suit and had to rely on his own wits.  Loved, loved, loved that.
2-
Michael Keaton as the Vulture.  That performance rocked.
3 -
The Ferris Bueller footage in the background while Spidey is running through all of the backyards.  Nice.
4 -
Shocker - yeah I even like the Shocker
5 -
Ganke, I mean Ned.  He was a lot of fun once he found out Peter is Spidey.
6 -
All of the fun tech that the Vulture's crew created with the alien technology.

I could actually go on and on with the "Loved" list.

I do have to put it third in the list of great movies this year, behind GotG and Wonder Woman, but that's good company.  So far we have three winners this year in the comic book movie world.

8 out of 10 Spider tracers.

Wringer
HR Super Hero

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »

Fun movie...like the rest of you i have a few gripes but overall its a good start.  
way too much reliance on suite tech...no real problem with it except it was too easy...not earned, just given (and taken away which was the whole point).  i prefer him figuring it out and having to create a doodad to help stop the badguy on his own with limited resources.

Still have S-M2 as the better film.
Mitch
HR Super Hero

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »

Just saw it.  Really liked it.  Probably my favorite of the Spidey films thus far.  Definitely my favorite Spider-Man (live-action).

I guess I have many of the same gripes that most of you have about
too much tech in the suit.
 One dissenting gripe I have I guess would have to be
Ned.  A little bit of that character goes a long way and I found myself tired of him early on.
 One other one that I comes to mind would also be they shoehorned
the name "MJ" into the story toward the end.  Felt the same odd way that the forced the name "Robin" into the end of the last Batman film.  Pasting the name MJ (not even Mary Jane for Pete's sake) onto the saracstic weirdo outsider just doesn't feel right.

Some things that I really liked that have not been mentioned already:
The variation on the Spider-Man TV show theme in the opening title music.
The updated reaction of Aunt May discovering Peter's secret.   Cheesy Cheesy
The homage to ASM #33 where he lifts himself from the rubble.  Classic.
Subverting the common Spider-Man trope of falling for the police chief's daughter by having Liz's dad being Toomes.  Great misdirection - I'm sure I wasn't the only one who assumed she was Liz Allen.

Also, quick Easter Egg question:
Kenneth Choi, who plays the principal in the film, also played Jim Morita in Captain America.  A picture of who I assume to be Morita, along with his military metals, are displayed in the prinicpal's office.  Grandfather or great uncle?  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:45:21 PM by Mitch » Logged

"I need a day when there aren't twenty crises to deal with, but I don't see that coming any time soon."  - Iron Man (Captain America #29)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS