HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:07:33 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Gladiator 2 premieres in theaters November 22, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Current Library - What's worth reading and what should I skip?  (Read 8145 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: December 07, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »

At least I'm in 2016 comics.   Grin

This is what I have in the library I'm slowly working my way through.  Anything I should bump to the top of my reading list or not waste my time with?  I may or may not take your advice but I am looking for it.   Grin

DareDevil (2015)
Scarlet Witch (2015)
Squadron Supreme (2015)
Extraordinary X-Men (2015)
A-Force (2016)
Uncanny X-Men (2016)
Old Man Logan (2016)
Spider-Man (2016)
Avengers: Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill (2016) - and tie-ins
Black Widow (2016)
Mockingbird (2016)
Doctor Strange (2015)
The Infinity Entity (2016)
International Iron-Man (2016)
Hyperion (2016)
Black Panther (2016)
Vision (2016)
Moon Knight (2016)
Unanny Inhumans (2015)
Astonishing Ant Man (2015)
Carnage (2015)
The Ultimates (2015)
Invincible Iron-Man (2015)
The Punisher (2016)
Thunderbolts (2016)
Spider-Woman (2015)
All New Wolverine (2015)
Nighthawk (2015)
Mighty Thor (2015)
All New, All Different Avengers (2015)
Spider-Man 2099 (2015)
Spider-Women Omega (2016)
Civle War II (2016)
Star Wars
Star Wars: Vader Down
Star Wars: Darth Vader
Star Wars: Obiwan & Annikan
Star Wars: Kanan
Star Wars: Poe Dameron
Star Wars: C3P0
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:13:54 PM by Jeff » Logged

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 04:51:27 PM »

Alright. This can be fun
 Grin

And yes, you are 100% right, read what you want as this is just opinions, right?  Cool

Okay, for me:

DareDevil (2015) - started cool but didn't like the main villain of the opening issue as I thought he was kind of stupid in design. That said, the art (which is great) and story was leading to a great little opus. Possibly. Only stopped reading it to read it in chunks.

Scarlet Witch (2015) - Really liked the first two or three issues, but then the art started to go away from my liking. That changed many times however as there is a new artist on each and every issue of this. A cool idea, truly, for a title such as this that doesn't demand a regular set look. Not the best James Robinson, but a must read for hardcore Scarlet Witch fans. I'm only a softcore fan. No... wait ...  Cheesy

Squadron Supreme (2015) - This is fun, but another title that is kinda set off in its own corner. A very "Holy Shit!!" moment in one issue that made me scrach my head. If you dug James Robinson's FF, including the art, this is the same team and same tone. You could do worse.

Extraordinary X-Men (2015) - In my opinion, this is the weakest of the 5 All-New X-Books. Even with Old Man Logan in it. However, if you enjoy Magik and her Limbo stuff, you should like this book.

A-Force (2016) - Sweet idea, just booooring. Gave up around issue #4 or #5

Uncanny X-Men (2016) - The best of the bland All-New X-Books as it is not bland. Still pertinent to the MU, as of now, and Land's art, which I usually can't stand, didn't ruin this at all.  Cheesy

Old Man Logan (2016) - A good book. The creative team that took over the Nu52 Green Arrow title can do no wrong for me. Very close and easily could be my favorite of the All-New X books

Spider-Man (2016) - Meh. Getting better with the Clone Conspiracy stuff that is out now, but for the early stuff ... It's Peter as Tony Stark. That's all. A writer that is hit or big miss for me does the same here. At least early. If you don't read now, you have to jump on a few issues before the Clone Conspiracy mini though.

Avengers: Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill (2016) - and tie-ins - Read if you have time. Effects Captain America and the Uncanny Avengers titles, but you can also just figure that out as you go. Main title is all you need (I thought you read this already?)

Black Widow (2016) - More of an art book than anything. Lots and lots and lots ... and lots of panels with no writing. Waid is "helping" Chris Samnee with the writing, or there would possibly be none to be seen.  Grin But hey, she is a spy I suppose and no need to make noise when you're out in the field. It is okay, being more insightful into Natasha's past, but certainly not needed. At all.

Mockingbird (2016) - Canceled after 5 or 6 issues. I read the first 2 and found it fun. Just never made it back.

Doctor Strange (2015) - Got better when you left.  Cheesy I like it, a lot now.\

The Infinity Entity (2016) - Didn't read it yet.

International Iron-Man (2016) - Good stuff. Just ask Jimmy. No, don't do that.  Grin I like it and it is important down the line. Both Iron Man books are.

Hyperion (2016) - Skip it. Run away.

Black Panther (2016) - Skip it. Walk away. Just wasn't for me. About Panther's women guards more than anything.

Vision (2016) - OH PAH-LEASE !!!!!!!

Moon Knight (2016) - Yes, Yes, yes. The book makes you feel just like Marc Specter; Crazy as shit!!!

Unanny Inhumans (2015) - It's okay. Important, but not overall great. Parts are however, and that is what keeps me on. Good new characters too, that should be giving more of a chance in other titles to get people to know them

Astonishing Ant Man (2015) - Funny Spencer. Not The Fix funny, but just as good. For me.

Carnage (2015) - I thought you were reading this also?

The Ultimates (2015) - I know you are reading this. as you should !!!

Invincible Iron-Man (2015) - See other I.M title thoughts. In other words ... Yes !!!!

The Punisher (2016) - Good stuff, but Punisher being Punisher being Punisher ....

Thunderbolts (2016) - Nope. Tried and made it a few pages.

Spider-Woman (2015) - Another good, funny book.

All New Wolverine (2015) - Not as powerful as it could be, but an okay title.

Nighthawk (2015) - Marvel's brutal Batman. I really liked this, for just thinking of this as Batman if for nothing else.

Mighty Thor (2015) - HAHAHA, I'll let you think on this one.  Wink

All New, All Different Avengers (2015) - Nope. Not until issue ... 11 or 12 ... or 10? I can't remember. Just wait until the new one. If you don't mind or you like Mono's art (Weirdworld artist is the Avengers artist)

Spider-Man 2099 (2015) - I'll leave this for Jimmy.

Spider-Women Omega (2016) - Part of a 8(?) issue crossover with Silk and Spider-Gwen titles. You would need to read them all. Sooooo, no

Civle War II (2016) - If you are a fan of Captain Marvel? NO!! If you are not a fan of Captain Marvel ... maybe? It is just Bendis once again changing how characters act just to fit into a stor he wants to tell. No hero, no person with half a brain would do what Carol is doing. It's just stupid. Bendis just needs to stay on title and away from "events" (good idea for Marvel in general)

Star Wars - YES

Star Wars: Vader Down - mini for Vader title. YES

Star Wars: Darth Vader - YES

Star Wars: Obiwan & Annikan - Ummmm ... wasn't for me

Star Wars: Kanan - If you enjoy the cartoon, absolutely. If not, meh.

Star Wars: Poe Dameron - Nope

Star Wars: C3P0 - Not sure

And you forgot Chewbacca - Could have been better.

That's my "onion". take from it what you will
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 09:55:29 PM »

Spider-Man (2016) - Meh. Getting better with the Clone Conspiracy stuff that is out now, but for the early stuff ... It's Peter as Tony Stark. That's all. A writer that is hit or big miss for me does the same here. At least early. If you don't read now, you have to jump on a few issues before the Clone Conspiracy mini though.

I thought this was the Miles Morales title?

Avengers: Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill (2016) - and tie-ins - Read if you have time. Effects Captain America and the Uncanny Avengers titles, but you can also just figure that out as you go. Main title is all you need (I thought you read this already?)

Not yet.  You saw it on my "Added to MU" list but they don't get read until they show up on my "Weekly Reader" list.  Cheesy

There's a sick and twisted part of me that wants to read it JUST BECAUSE you said that.   Cheesy  I will consider myself warned.

Hey!  I was just listing everything.  LOL

Carnage (2015) - I thought you were reading this also?

Yes I'm reading it.  Just like Vision, listed everything.

Spider-Women Omega (2016) - Part of a 8(?) issue crossover with Silk and Spider-Gwen titles. You would need to read them all. Sooooo, no

Thanks!  Deleted from library.  I have no interest in that.

Civle War II (2016) - If you are a fan of Captain Marvel? NO!! If you are not a fan of Captain Marvel ... maybe? It is just Bendis once again changing how characters act just to fit into a stor he wants to tell. No hero, no person with half a brain would do what Carol is doing. It's just stupid. Bendis just needs to stay on title and away from "events" (good idea for Marvel in general)

Ah.  I will probably feel the same way (or I'll love it b/c you lowered my expectations) but you know I'll read it anyway.   Cheesy

I never saw the cartoon but I have enjoyed this comic.  Sounds like one we'll agree to disagree on.   Wink

And you forgot Chewbacca - Could have been better.

I already finished that one and yeah, could have been better but wasn't terrible.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:50:47 AM »

I thought this was the Miles Morales title?

Crap. My bad. For some reason I read "Amazing" in that title. Yes,, absolutely, 101% read this, the adjective-less Spider-Man book. Without question.

There's a sick and twisted part of me that wants to read it JUST BECAUSE you said that.   Cheesy  I will consider myself warned.

Yeah, ya gotta try right? HeeHee, let me know what you think

Hey!  I was just listing everything.  LOL

Grin Yeah, had to mess with ya. I wasn't sure about Carnage, but I knew this one  Smiley

Ah.  I will probably feel the same way (or I'll love it b/c you lowered my expectations) but you know I'll read it anyway.   Cheesy

Oh you have to read it. I understand. I am still reading it and I know full well I am not a fan.
 Cheesy

I never saw the cartoon but I have enjoyed this comic.  Sounds like one we'll agree to disagree on.   Wink

Well that's cool. I didn't not like the comic, but after seeing just a couple episodes of the cartoon the comic seemed a little ... well ... meh. It was fine. Just didn't grab me as a great read.
 Grin

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:52:28 AM »

Hyperion is gawd-awful. I didn't finish the first issue. Hell, I started skipping through the issue and skimming it, and I still didn't even look at the last 2-3 pages. Ugh.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »

Yeah, ya gotta try right? HeeHee, let me know what you think

Hyperion is gawd-awful. I didn't finish the first issue. Hell, I started skipping through the issue and skimming it, and I still didn't even look at the last 2-3 pages. Ugh.

Hmmm.  Ok - that's two "Run Aways".  No way I'm going to like it if you BOTH hated it.  I'm convinced.  It's deleted from the library!   Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 02:56:06 PM »

A-Force (2016) - Sweet idea, just booooring. Gave up around issue #4 or #5

I decided to drop this from the library as well.  I was never that interested in it and if it's boring no sense wasting my time.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:57:01 PM »

I wonder if I spent as much reading as I do managing my lists if I would be done with all these already.   Cheesy

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 06:22:06 PM »

I wonder if I spent as much reading as I do managing my lists if I would be done with all these already.   Cheesy

Oh if you only knew how much I agreed with you. You should see my Word chart for the books I am reading/need to read. I could read 400 titles a month if I would stop screwing around with that damn chart.
 Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 02:02:49 AM »

But charting is half the fun of everything!! I love it! I love sorting old comics and reorganizing long boxes and changing inventory lists. Charting!!!  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

That said, I'll comment fully on the ones I've read or have an opinion on:

DareDevil (2015) Read it. I still like me some Daredevil in this book
Squadron Supreme (2015) A bit different than other Marvel fare, and something that still reads fine by me (as of issue 6)
A-Force (2016) Was bored by the SI mini, and couldn't bother myself to start it.
Uncanny X-Men (2016) Been reading it for some more than standard 'X-men fare'
Old Man Logan (2016) Like reading it. However, it's a time displaced character I want to find an end.
Spider-Man (2016) Fan boy in me was railing against his win in issue 2, but a pretty decent and good read.
Avengers: Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill (2016) - and tie-ins This thing made me hate Shield stuff even more than I normally do. As far as all the tie-in books, it's unnecessary. I just finished this. All I needed, or bothered to read, was Sam Wilson, Cap, Uncanny Avengers, and then the Omega issue to see how it actually came to an end. But I hated that it happened.
Doctor Strange (2015) Come back to it. Yes!
The Infinity Entity (2016) This kind of thing is my bag. Adam Warlock navel gazing. I love it!!
International Iron-Man (2016) It goes with the other book...which drives me crazy with the stupid loony Bendis writing....
Black Panther (2016) Only read the first issue. It doesn't immediately make me think anything...but nothing greatly solid either.
Vision (2016) AMAZING
Moon Knight (2016) First issue next in line for me!
Astonishing Ant Man (2015) Fantastic.
The Ultimates (2015) Some goofy big brain outer space drama stuff I love. Very cool.
Invincible Iron-Man (2015) Same as other Bendis/Iron Man comment.
Spider-Woman (2015) A very different type of book for a very different type of read that is very good.
All New Wolverine (2015) Pedestrian, but not offensive to a thinker. It's okay until I decide I am bored by it.
Mighty Thor (2015) YESYESYES A MILLION TIMES YES
All New, All Different Avengers (2015) Eh....at issue 9...just to read something out of habit.
Spider-Man 2099 (2015) It definitely has some amazing Peter David elements, but it has felt a bit...slower than his other work. And I hate that damned white suit.
Civle War II (2016) I'm going to red it, even though I'm pretty sure it's going to be shit. And that's jsut from general internet reviewers.
Star Wars Yes
Star Wars: Vader Down Yes
Star Wars: Darth Vader Yes
Star Wars: Obiwan & Annikan Skipped it. I already read this for 9 years.
Star Wars: Kanan Hated this apprentice book. not reading this.
Star Wars: C3P0 Just until I find out why his arm is read. Wink

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 11:46:04 AM »

Jimmy's description of Wolverine is a very accurate assessment. I like the art, but it is just another X-Book that is just there to be there.

And Jimbo reminded me of the C-3PO book! Yes, it is a good little story ... so much so I forgot about it  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy but memory be bad and trustworthy it not is  Grin. Jimmy mentioned the red arm and it kicked in. Yes, a very good story.

And as much as I am not liking Civil War II, I can't wait to see Jimmy's head explosion in print form.
 Cheesy Cheesy

CHARTING !!!!!!!!  Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS