HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 09:08:30 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome back Realmers!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL 2016  (Read 24952 times)
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« on: November 22, 2016, 02:45:57 AM »

Well, season is basically over for me.

Green Bay is done. Over, Kaput.

Too many articles now talking about the coach's '10 year rule.' McCarthy is in year 11.

However, that defense!! There are 2 practice squad guys as STARTERS due to injuries. And there is a world of difference between elite athletes (and lets face it, even the Browns starters on defense are better than Packers practice squad players) and back ups. There just is.

However, I think the offense and McCarthy could or should be fine another year.

Dom Capers has to go. If you look back at history, to see how many 500+ yard qbs there are, there are 18 total. 3 of them come against Capers' coached Packers in the last 7 years!!!

Yards given up, total defense, his unit has stunk since the Superbowl, and well, before the Superbowl. It's just not good.

And there's talk (by talking heads) that maybe Ted Thompson, General Manager, should go. His draft stock has dried up. All these gold picks of his have fallen away to leave some very poor players to choose from -as he will vehemently not touch free agency.

Things are done in Titletown.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »

I find myself in the rare position of being excited with the Cowboys this year.  Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliot have breathed new life into this town.  The radio station I listen to on the way to work has been playing a song in the mornings that is sung to the tune of "Yackity Yack, don't talk back."  Their lyrics go "Dakity Dak, Quaterback!"   Cheesy

I'm just hoping they don't let it go to their heads because that's usually when you screw up.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:32:30 AM »

Yeah, that 'dreaded Dallas December' is coming up...  Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »

Well, what a season's end.

Rodgers "I think we can run the table. I really do."

HOLY SHIT they did!! LOL

That poor defense is still there, but at least turnovers are coming, and the offense can stay on the field longer to make up for it.

And them 'boys! Look at them go! What will they do in the playoffs?

And, just like the Packers, Wink  them Steelers are perennial playoff contenders. How can no one stop Antonio Brown? How can he still get so many targets? Just wow!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »

I just hope the Packers take out the Giants.  If not, then we'll (Cowboys) have to face them in the next round.   Angry

I think the Steelers will make it to the AFC Championship and go up against the Patriots.  The Pat's will be hard to beat but I will be rooting for Pittsburgh - even though Ben and Antonio didn't help my Fantasy team enough this year.   Grin

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »

The Pat's have the easiest road to the playoffs. It is like, as someone said on Mike & Mike this morning, they have 2 by-weeks. The week off and then having to face one of these QB's next -
Tom Savage ... or Brock Osweiler if Savage still in CP
Matt McGloin ... or Conner Cook if McGloin is still hampered by ... shoulder?
or
Matt Moore

Yeah, Brady against any of them?? I know "Any given Sunday" and all that, but I just don't see it. And we, yes, WE The Steelers  Smiley, can't beat Brady. He is our nemesis.
 Embarrassed

I do want a rematch of Pitt and Dallas (we almost had you when our D was terrible  Wink ... like our D looked yesterday against the Browns  Undecided) but if Rodgers is on ... I don't see Dallas beating him. Yes, just him! Forget the Defense, forget all that great O-Line praise that Dallas (rightfully so) receives. Rodgers, when on, is a one man team.

But hey, we have to get past the Dolphins, who whooped our ass last time, before I even worry about the week after.
 Cheesy

Good luck to us all!!!
(Sorry Cow)
 Wink

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »

As a fan, I'm afraid of the Giants. True, it was back in 2008 and 2011 that they came to Lambeau and beat the Packers both times on the way to the Superbowl. But we just couldn't seem to beat that goofy ass team. And here they come again!

I just hope to see the Packers finally beat them (although, there are only 3 players left from that 2011 team anyways), so it doesn't really mean anything to the players. The coaches? Probably you bet it's on McCarthy's mind.

By the way, do you know my Packers wins and losses from the playoffs? The last 2 years were both losses in overtime, and 3 years ago was a field goal with time expiring to hand the Pack a loss. At least the 2 years before those years were just ass whuppin's from 49ers and the Giants. The year before those was the Superbowl, and the year before that was another OT loss!! ARGH

Oh well, let's see how things go.

and Jeff, I just have to hate on the Cowboys, due to the 90s and having to travel to Texas Stadium to only lose 3 years in a row!! What rigged reffing, by the way. Wink :p

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:47:00 AM »

WOOOOOOO!!

How about those Packers?! SO GLAD TO HAVE KILLED THE GIANTS!!!!!

That said, holy crap did the Steelers look magnificent against the Dolphins. Wow.

But hey, it's the Dolphins. I know they went 10-6, but I feel that happened on Earth 2 somehow. That, and with a back up who didn't look like he really ever wanted to start for football ever again.

Will the KC rematch be like week 6 for the Chiefs? I rather doubt it, Steelers fans, but I have a hard time believing in the way the Chiefs play that they'll eke out the win.

Now, as for GB/Dallas....man...what kind of team will I see take the field? The offensive juggernaut that really can decide to do as they wish to a defense? Kind of hard not to believe that at this point.

Then there is the Cowboys offense....I mean, they've  just won. In great fashion, in tough out moments, and in come from behind. Can a Packers defense, much aligned, but playing to control points in the last month or so, come out ahead?

I think for this game, everything will come down to Cowboys O-line. Will they not let anything through so Dak stays untouched, and all holes opened everywhere for Zeke? Or, if they concentrate fully on stopping Elliot no matter what, and fully make Prescott have to win by throwing the entire time; is that something Prescott can do, and is that something the Packers could stop? That's what I wonder.

Then there is a game that the Patriots will play on the way to another AFC Championship game. Nothing to see there.

Go Atlanta! Only because I hate Pete Carroll's team with the blinding fury of a thousand exploding suns.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »

That said, holy crap did the Steelers look magnificent against the Dolphins. Wow.

But hey, it's the Dolphins. I know they went 10-6, but I feel that happened on Earth 2 somehow. That, and with a back up who didn't look like he really ever wanted to start for football ever again.

And that in bold is the truth.  Cheesy Not really a test.

KC will be a test, as I truly question our ability to get to the SB ... or past the KC for that matter. We are decent on O-Line and all, but our front 7, aside from Shazier and Dupree (who I wish would've lifted his head and hit Moore a little lower so when they threw that flag, for the sound of that hit alone, I could've called bullshit  Cheesy... but he didn't) isn't that great (though our rook NT is starting to shine) But our backfield is still pretty easy to throw on and the two things we have trouble with are good TE's and fast WR's. KC has both. Yep, me scared
 Cheesy

Now, as for GB/Dallas....man...what kind of team will I see take the field?

Like you mentioned or alluded to, this will come down to two things -
Will we see the good or the bad Aaron Rodgers for one. The Aaron that plays poorly as hell in that first half (and is still one of the luckiest QB's ever) but came on in the second half and looked like he has the past 7 weeks?
And, two, the Dallas O-Line. Dak is enjoying all the praise, and he is good, but without that O ... no way he gets all those wins.

Both Defenses struggle, so this is down to those two things I think. Rodgers and the D's O
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »

My Picks

Pats - blowout

Steelers - in a tight win

Falcons - handedly but not blowout

COWBOYS!  (Duh.   Grin  )  I'm glad we're playing the Packers though.  It's a true test.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 02:14:45 AM »

Great  Angry my game moved back 8 hours. DAMN ICE STORM!!!!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 05:51:21 PM »

Great  Angry my game moved back 8 hours. DAMN ICE STORM!!!!

Oh man - that sucks!

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 02:43:14 AM »

Just to say; I know it's great that football has the elements and all that, but man, don't wish for the normal game time with that kind of weather.

Not that it favors KC over Pittsburgh, but I still to this day, have a rueful wish that the Brett Favre Packers loss to the Giants in the NFC Championship was delayed one day. A cold front had rolled into Wisconsin that Sunday, and with a night game in Green Bay (BECAUSE YOU SHOULD PLAY NIGHT GAMES IN JANUARY IN THE NORTH!!!???!!!!), with temps that were -23 with the windchill, Favre was beat by the cold. You could see it in how he played. Hell, it's not safe for people to be out in that; why have fans come to that?

The next day was back in the low teens. Couldn't have played Monday instead? Safety of people and exposure? Sigh, whatever....

So, just saying, yes, you want the elements, but hell, don't go overboard!  Cheesy

That said, awesome, SeaChickens are out of the playoffs!! Wahoo!! If luck falls right, maybe the Texans win too!!!! I doubt it.

I'll call it for Pittsburgh over Kansas City, and of course, Green Bay over Dallas, because, always, f*** the Cowboys. Wink

Nothing personal Jeff!!  Cool

Jimmy T since 2001
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 05:12:38 PM »

Just to make it more interesting, the Cowboys and Packers have met 34 times in the playoffs.  And they each have won 17 of those 34. Tie breaker!

This is going to be a great game!

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 01:11:11 AM »

Congrats Jimmy.  You better win the whole thing.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS