HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 08:16:37 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Captain America: New World Order premieres in theaters February 14, 2025!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Unfollow  (Read 15792 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »

Anyone reading this?  I just read about it and the premis inserts me.  Wondering if it is any good.

Here's the synopsis I read:
"Social media is such a part of our lives that we often forget just how integrated it is in our daily affairs. In Unfollow, a dying millionaire uses social media to choose 140 people (for the 140 characters on Twitter) to inherit his vast wealth, but he decides to make it into a game: not all of the 140 have to be alive for his inheritance to get passed down and those remaining can split the wealth between them. Human nature being what it is, those 140 people soon find their numbers beginning to drop as they go all Hunger Games against each other in a race to become the last one standing. Not everyone is out for blood, but they must run for their lives to protect themselves and the people they care about."

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 11:54:13 PM »

Anyone reading this?  I just read about it and the premis inserts me.  Wondering if it is any good.

Well not reading it yet, but I did have it on my list in that DC "What are you reading?" as yes, it do look cool. Just like I am doing with Everafter, I read the first two issues and it was good enough to be placed on my pull list.
 Smiley

But hey, you say you are just hearing about this so I have to ask ... and I am not being a jerk, I am just curious ... Do you no longer look at previews? I don't mean the catalog, but I mean each month when the companies new solicits hit do you not read them anymore?

Rereading what I just wrote and it is coming off as very ... asshole'ish  Grin I am not meaning it to, I am just trying to ask a question ... really...
 Cheesy
I just noticed you said something similar not so long ago about another book and so I am just wondering if the old brain, like mine, is fading on ya  Cheesy or do you just not read the solicits now?

Okay, yes, I was trying to be a little but asshole'ish with that one  Grin Grin Grin (but seriously ?)

Clean Room is another book that I tried and liked and placed on my list. A mean little book but you may also like that one.
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 03:44:03 AM »

You know I hadn't really thought about it but I guess I don't.  I always looked at them when I pre-ordered but now that I've gone digital I don't preorder anymore.  An unforeseen consequence of making the switch it seems that I didn't even notice.

I'll have to make a more conscious effort now.

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »

I'll have to make a more conscious effort now.

Now that is not what I was implying. I hope that is not the case. You do you, man. If you don't want to look at that mess, don't. I'm not trying to pressure into it. I am damn sure happy to spout off what books I think you should check out.
 Grin

But yeah, I hope you didn't take my words wrong like I was afraid of.  Undecided

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 04:39:35 AM »

No I didn't take it any particular way. No offense here. 

I honestly just hadn't noticed I was missing them.  Just another sign of how consuming work is right now.

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:43:15 AM »

Yeah, we need to get you another Vegas vacation.
 Smiley

There is another title that is hitting this week you should be interested in ... I will tell ya soon
 Grin

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »

There is another title that is hitting this week you should be interested in ... I will tell ya soon
 Grin

"Soon" in Perry time is more than two months.   (Unless you told me in another thread)

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:47:19 PM by Jeff » Logged

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 05:45:30 PM »

Issue 1-8

I finally cracked the seal on this book and it's a good one.  For those not familiar with this series it's premise is that a social media tycoon is dieing and he "randomly" picks 140 people on his social network program to inherit his wealth.  He then tells them that if one of them dies, that persons share will be divided among the rest.  So if only one person is left at the time of distribution, they get all the wealth.

It's a good one to binge read as it takes its time moving the story along.  That's a good thing because it means more character development. Also, the art is very Frank Quitelyish. 

So far it has only concentrated on a few core characters.  I'm getting the impression these will be the final number as this approaches its end.  If so, I'm a little disappointed because it seems like a great opportunity to develop a large number of characters so their deaths mean more.  As of issue 8 we've lost six of the 140 characters and only one of those was someone we got to meet.  I'm hoping as the number gets paired down we will start meeting more characters.

The people we have met are not what they appear to be on the surface.  There is a writer who cut off both of his own legs to make a political statement, a rich girl who hates her daddy (and when you find out why, whoa!), an inner city young man who takes care of his gimp sister, a female middle eastern journalist, and a military veteran who talks to God and God talks back (or so he believes).

There is also an unexpected magic aspect in this story.  Normally that would bug me in a story like this but I'm finding it doesn't distract.  In fact, it makes it a little more interesting.

I recommend picking this one up.

9 out of 10 Facebook frienemies.

Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 06:52:58 PM »

Issue 9-12

Oh yeah!  This only gets better.  Don't want to spoil anything.  Anybody else reading this yet?

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »

Not yet.
I read the first two issues and liked it so much I put it away.  Cheesy
I know that makes little sense but I like to read in bulk when I see a non-big two title that I really like.

I have the issues ... through 13 or 14, I think (I know I am about a month behind as Dave reads this later than his others) packed in a corner. Plan to burn through this and Clean Room ... sometime ... this year? Hopefully.

My hope is, and it may be wishing in one hand and ... yeah you know what on the other, but my hope is to one day soon get mad at current comics again and spend at least 2 months reading old stuff  Cheesy. That usually happens, me getting mad over some stupid thing (like Civil War II for example  Roll Eyes), so I look forward to reading this and about 8 other Image/Vertigo/Dark Horse books. It's just finding time.

And by time I mean reading time. I can come here and spend an hour, but that isn't the same as having an hour of reading time. I can take an hour to write one sentence here, with chasing the puppy around when he grabs something, answering the phone, getting coffee, etc... and it seems like I was here the entire time. But reading time, as we know, is a different beast. Just ask Jimmy who, poor guy, has been running ragged battling the time stealing ogre .. or perhaps Nozdormu (just heard that name while watching people play at the shop)  Grin

I can't even have the television on or listen to music. I don't know how people listen to music while reading. They say it is like setting theme music to a movie and I love that idea. Listening to Metallica when reading Simonson's Ragnarok, Star Wars soundtrack when reading Star Wars  Cheesy or the Vapor's when reading Wayward  Shocked (hahaha, yes there is a bad joke there that you older folks may ... MAY just get) but I just can't. It takes my head out of the comic.

Okay, now that I totally went on a tangent here ...
 Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS