HR Boards
March 28, 2024, 03:29:03 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Planet of the Apes 4 premieres in theaters May 24, 2024!
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rebirth - What are you still reading?  (Read 7080 times)
Jeff
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 28, 2016, 07:49:10 PM »

So we've had a few months to dig into the new titles.  Some I've kept, some I've dropped, some I never tried.

Here's my list of those I'm still reading:

1.  Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps
2.  Detective Comics
3.  SuperWoman
4.  Wonder Woman
5.  Batman
6.  Titans
7.  Deathstroke (behind on but plan to catch up soon)
8.  Red Hood & the Outsiders (also behind on but plan to catch up soon)
9.  Earth 2 Society

Still reading but not staying current.  Will get back on these once i'm caught up with other things.

1.  Flash
2.  $5 Batman (known to some as All Star Batman)
3.  Suicide Squad (though on the bubble if I want to pick back up or not)
4.  Superman

In my wish list to start at some point:

1.  Action Comics
2.  Doom Patrol
3.  New Superman
4.  Raven
5.  Trinity (will start this sooner rather than later)

“If I could go back in time and like tell 11 year old me that like not only do you get to go to Comic Con but you go every year.  So much so that you get greeted by Stan Lee when you show up.  And 11 year old me would be like - How did we get so fat?”- Kevin Smith
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 09:05:43 PM »

Well Earth 2 should be ending soon, soooo .... OPENING !!!!
 Grin

I am reading and keeping up with a good bit of DC "proper" Superheroes:

Action Comics
Superman
Superwoman
New Superman
Detective Comics
Batman
All-Star Batman
Nightwing
Trinity
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Deathstroke
Aquaman
Hal and the GLC
Wonder Woman
Flash ... if this new arc grabs me
and
Midnighter and Apollo (as this doesn't fit into the other stuff really and fits more with DC heroes until Wildstorm starts)

DC Hanna Barbera that I am also up to date on:
Flintsones
Future Quest
Wacky Raceland and then when it ends next month, The Jetsons!!

Vertigo: Not reading, but piling up the issues to one day burst through them all  Cheesy
Astro City
Clean Room
Unfollow
Lucifer v2
and
Everafter, which I am reading now but once I decide to keep it, I will do the same thing and just let them piel up for a huge run through.

And lastly, I am giving a couple Young Animals a shot:
Doom Patrol
Cave Carson

Recently dropped -
Suicide Squad
Justice League (though I may try the Justice League/S. Squad X-Over)
Scooby Apocalypse - Once Scrappy Doo hit, I was done  
Cheesy

And on the edge. Torn on these -
Titans - if I should continue, depends on how those panels hit me this issue
Teen Titans - If I should start
 Undecided Undecided Undecided

Edit - I shouldn't say I am uptodate on Future Quest as I think I am two issues behind now that I think about it.  Undecided And just saw "$5 Batman"
 Cheesy
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:21:06 PM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 07:29:05 PM »

I'm still getting and enjoying lots of :

Action Comics
Aquaman
Deathstroke
Flash
Green Arrow
Hal Jordan & GLC
Superman
Superwoman
Wonder Woman

Titans isn't on that list, and to be honest, it's a big bubble book for me. Blue Beetle is still raw and fresh, so I'm giving it enough rope to hang itself. Flash seems ready to go either way for me as well, issue by issue.  Cheesy  But being fair, I have enjoyed this Flash comic again. Just make the suit look better and quit the stupid lighting lines all over the place!!!

And I'll be getting Detective comics in trade for sure.

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »

Getting:

Action
Aquaman
Deathstroke
Hal Jordan & GLC
Superman
Super Sons
Wonder Woman

Someone make me drop:
Green Arrow-I really cannot tell if I like this anymore. But I just want to keep knowing what happens next!!

Finally dropped:
Flash-no regrets, even seeing who was back in issue 24
Superwoman-kinda forgot that I hadn't dropped this.

I keep thinking that there is a Batman book I'm going to get in trade-or hell, digital, right? I'm not sure anything out there currently compares with what Snyder & Capullo did in New 52, but there's something I should be reading, right?

And what about a Justice League book? There was the JLA book Hitch was doing in the New 52 that bled into the Rebirth, what happened with that?

I think I'm going to get 'Justice League' in trades, because that's what I normally do. But what about his other JL book with Batman? I honestly know nothing of these books.

But that's it? No wonder my trade money is so easy to use. What with Deathstroke, Hal Jordan, Super sons all 'only' monthly, no wonder I'm not getting that many books.

Maybe...maybe this is how I get more digital single monthly issues from Image now....

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:21:01 PM »

Someone make me drop:
Green Arrow-I really cannot tell if I like this anymore. But I just want to keep knowing what happens next!!

Buy the next issue and then don't read it, just read the reviews of it to get the gist and see if you can do that. Grin

I keep thinking that there is a Batman book I'm going to get in trade-or hell, digital, right? I'm not sure anything out there currently compares with what Snyder & Capullo did in New 52, but there's something I should be reading, right?

Not really. I love me some Tom King, Yep, but man, his Batman has been ... fairly odd to disappointing at times. It is NOT Batman, but some other guy in a Bat-Suit.
 Undecided
I still read it, though I am behind, but ... must you buy it? Ahhhh, no

And what about a Justice League book? There was the JLA book Hitch was doing in the New 52 that bled into the Rebirth, what happened with that?

It disappeared after DC and Hitch telling us the remaining 2 or 3 last issues were still going to come out. One did, issue 10, about two or three months ago and no word on the last two.

I think I'm going to get 'Justice League' in trades, because that's what I normally do. But what about his other JL book with Batman? I honestly know nothing of these books.

Skip them both. Hitch's story is weaker than his last run and Batman working with Lobo is not a Batman I want to read about. Anymore than Cap telling Deadpool to be an Avenger.
NO

STOP IT

But that's it? No wonder my trade money is so easy to use. What with Deathstroke, Hal Jordan, Super sons all 'only' monthly, no wonder I'm not getting that many books.

Hal is going monthly too? I knew Deathstroke and Aquaman were. Could you be thinking of that one instead? They better not keep the other piss poor GL book going and turn Hal to monthly ... though I would enjoy it if they did.
 Undecided

Maybe...maybe this is how I get more digital single monthly issues from Image now....

Nothing wrong with that!!!

As for what DC proper (not including stuff like Astro City) I am still reading or piling up ...

Aquaman - At least until Sejic leaves
Batman - hey, it's still a Batman book  Grin
Detective - Barely, as this has turned sour on me. Not as good or even close to being as good as earlier
Superman - The one Superman book I still enjoy. Action is just okay. I am not a big enough Supes fan for just "okay"
Hal - piling up
Super-Sons - Top of my reading list when I see it
Batwoman - Piling up, but I really liked that first issue.
All-Star Bats - Because it is a Bat book and the rotating art style is cool
Deathstroke - But I am getting behind again. Come on monthly!!!
Wildstorm - though I am not sure if this is in DC Proper now?

Dropped / stopped reading (at one point or another)
Trinity - Okay, but ... yeah ... just okay
Titans - May try new artist
Red Hood and the Outlaws - Not a fan of Dexter Soy's art so I jumped off this surprisingly good book
New Super-Man - Another art change by editorial that made me jump ship off a really fun book!  Angry Sad
Action - as I said, just not a fun book for me compared to his self titled book
Flash - Yep, another art style that I finally had enough of. Way to hectic. I get it, lightning is cool and fast. Enough of it!
Wonder Woman - No more Rucka, no more Perry
Nightwing - Just too ... just not for me. More of the "lovey dovey" junk or "Oh, just look at Grayson's Beautiful Ass" style crap (which let me tall ya, how I love that girls can hoot and holler at that crap, but want to ban any artist that DARE draw Power-Girl's boob window)
 Angry Roll Eyes

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »

I goofed. I thought Hal was always jsut monthly. Must be when I go in and buy them that makes me think that!

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 12:56:44 AM »

Smiley

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 08:46:55 PM »

Dammit!! I want me a Justice League book to read!!! I hate not having JL on my shelves. It's always been a good barometer of how to track the rest of the DCU. Especially with this being one year after rebirth, I was hoping to see a ...rebirth of things.
 Undecided

And, I tell you this, if DC rebirth 'Green Lanterns' would hit a 99 cent sale on Comixology, I'd probably buy them. I particularly did enjoy Byrne reading the Prism Lantern ending.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »

Justice League is pretty damn rough. Or at least that first arc was. Finch is just not a great writer. Maybe not even a good one? Not calling him the Austin of DC ...  Cheesy ... but man, is it close? Maybe.

Justice League of America is not for me. I am not going to call it bad (though it is for me) but it is ... it just doesn't make sense, especially ... ESPECIALLY if what we saw in The Forge is true.  Why would Batman ...
NO, it just doesn't add up.

I will say that I enjoyed the four single issue that DC put out of the solo characters before they joined with Batman. That was cool, but the tea book is a no go.

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 02:29:22 PM »

No, Finch is not a good writer. Hence why WW title utterly died off in sales or interest when he and his wife took over writing and drawing. He writes, I'll avoid. Hell, his cheesecake pin up women in his art kind of grates on me too.

I thought Hitch did the other volume of Justice League...Huh

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »

No, Finch is not a good writer. Hence why WW title utterly died off in sales or interest when he and his wife took over writing and drawing. He writes, I'll avoid. Hell, his cheesecake pin up women in his art kind of grates on me too.

I thought Hitch did the other volume of Justice League...Huh

He did.  Smiley
If we are thinking of the same thing.  Cheesy
We (well, readers of the title, not me  Cheesy) are still awaiting his last run of Justice League #'s 10, 11 and 12 to hit ... maybe #10 did come out actually? maybe?
But he also is responsible for the current lack lust title as well.

And the "America" team, with Lobo, is written by ... crap, can't think of his name, but I am not overly impressed with it anyway, so... Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS