HR Boards
March 29, 2024, 07:42:08 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Hunger Games: Songbird and Snakes premieres in theaters November 17, 2023.
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CLONE CONSPIRACY  (Read 9045 times)
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« on: October 17, 2016, 05:14:50 PM »

Issue #1

Yep, this book is going to have its detractors, half of which will not even try it and that is fine. They will just miss out on a very fun mini-event. This book, which I read as almost an afterthought (for the amount of interest I had in it before opening the book), ended up just giving me a punch in the "Oh, this may be good" thought process.

Slott is so up and down for me that I may come back after the next issue and claim this title to be total shit (Slott hits me that way, that fast at times), but yeah, I liked this. A lot. It feels like an older 80's comic. It isn't grand in approach but it sticks the landing, for me at least.

Of course, I never had the ... non-pleasure  Cheesy of being involved heavily in Spidey's Clone Saga, so I may have a leg up here as I have no baggage hitting the bad spots of my memory, but from just this ... I'm in!!!!

7 outta 10 Jackals
 Smiley

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:27 AM »

I had to flip through this to see it. I liked my Clone Saga days; I just dont' trust Dan Slott to do it well all the way through!!

Sad thoughts, mine are.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:40 AM »

Cheesy
Understandably so.

But so far ... keeping those fingers crossed.  Wink

EDIT- But man, this book is getting slammed all over the place.

I am wondering if I read the same book now? I really enjoyed this. Maybe it's just me, or maybe people have just forgot how to enjoy a comic? I mean, I am no Slott apologist, I have both enjoyed and hated with fiery passion many an issue by him, but I am seeing and hearing just too much ... what I feel is unwarranted hate for this issue.

If every issue ends up like this, I am going to have a fun time.

Maybe just relax a little? Or ... or ... I just enjoyed a bad book, maybe?
 Undecided
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:45:44 AM by Perry » Logged

Avatar mash-up is from Ross Pearsall... and of course those that own the original characters Smiley
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »

Yeah, I didn't see alot of reason to outright hate this book right away, if not for the simple fear Slott is going to do something awful by the storyline's end!!

People should relax some.

I didn't trash it (I had to go back and reread my own thoughts), I just don't believe Slott will finish it all well. Because; history. We all believe and know that about him. And that's whats too bad about the Spider-man book(s) these days.  Sad

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 11:58:52 PM »

Oh I get ya. Wasn't a shot at you.
 Cool

Tokyo Vigilante #1
HR Celestial

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 04:09:11 PM »

The only Marvel books I'm getting right now is Power Man and Iron Fist and occasionally the all-ages book simply called Spidey.

However, I read the preview. Very exciting artwork.

The reaction from the Kingpin to "Vanessa's" return, I believe, was spot-on. Both dynamic a incredibly true to character.

If the trade collection comes to my local library I might read it then.

That being said, I hate the Jackal character.

Not in a "oh, he's so evil and mean I hate him, I hope Spider-Man punches him good." I hate the Jackal in the "this character is so lame, why does he get this much attention, he was lame in the beginning and problematic now" kind of way.

I will say, I dig his new look. I like the Egyptian myth nod and any villain who wears a cool mask with a business suit is a great design, IMHO. Ex: Crime Master, The Rose, Black Mask, 90's Red Skull, etc.

Still, anything with Jackal or Norman Osborn gets a pass from me.

I hope it's something that you guys and the fans who are also still following the books will enjoy.
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »

I hear ya, Tok ... I wasn't around for the Jackal the first time, not for the Clone Saga aspect at least, not really, so he is just a bland character for me. No hate nor love nor like, actually. Though I also like the new head gear.
 Grin

Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »

So I read Prowler issue #4 today and it reminded me of a scene in the last issue of The Clone Conspiracy that made me laugh.

Kind of a big'ish spoiler, in a way, but ... heck, just don't look unless you want to be spoiled by something
 Undecided

So
Peter is being shown this area/place by ... this guy ... and all of the peeps that have been "brought back" by ... this guy that brought them back  Wink...are there walking around. Some of the "no longer dead" people are villains, but some are just dead family members that were brought back (IE - The Lizards kid and the Rhino's wife). But what gets me is ... all of these "non-clones" (we are being told these guys are not clones when they are ... obviously) all of them that ever wore a costume are there just walking around in their costume and I just have to ask ... why is this acceptable?
 Cheesy
Why is it perfectly normal for Rhino to be in full grey, horned get up as he just walks around with his wife? Why would the hobgoblin(?) be hanging out drinking a shake in full dress? Haha

It's the same when captured bad guys, and I suppose heroes as well, are always allowed to keep the costumes when sitting in jail or in a villainous trap? Cheesy It is just one thing that is so silly, but we comic fans always let it slide.

Just found it funny again.
 Grin

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 02:33:02 AM »

Amazing Spider-man 22

You know, I think I just about believe this Jackal's idea. Oh, it's a ridiculous fit as to how Warren got it all started, but man, how has Sinister simply not come by and stolen all of Warren's research?

So, this is the history exposition issue, and like I said, I just about buy it from the Jackal. If I was Peter, you know what, I may be into this possible plan.

I just feel crappy that, this being Slott and all, that the ending will not live up to the story and premise, and will simply fall flat and well, ...peter out and fizzle into a crapl-show.

Jimmy T since 2001
Perry
Just an old man
Administrator
HR Celestial

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:05 AM »

Grin
"Peter" out
I see what you did there

Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 02:54:13 AM »

Amazing Spider-man 23 & Clone Conspiracy SPOILERY DISCUSSION

So...is this where Slott starts to take a dump and this...potentially cool idea slides away into the crapper?

Yeah, I'm thinking so.

23-such a filler issue, which was already 5 pages in the 'Conspiracy' mini gets expanded further into 22 more pages. Now, nominally, I do like Peter's reaction. 'Listen, I've met, like, 4-5 clones since you're death; I've really said goodbye.' That theme? Okay, I dig that Peter can actually move on from his past. Smiley

But, with Conspiracy 4, it's the bad rising plot action of Slott where the Big Bad pulls out all his stops, and decides to raise all the stakes-in a series of events that don't make sense, are utterly asinine, and plainly just stupid.

And I see it happening here with his order to kill, and then to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 01:30:08 AM »

Clone Conspiracy #5

And...it's done. Oh wait, there's some Omega issue or something to end it ..again.

This issue? As stated before, Slott's stuff just falls into... blah. This essentially ended with '...and they win!'

Some 'reverse  frequency' pseudo science and the bad guys are ended. Oh, and a bunch of dead characters are alive again. Or something.

For me, it just ended up being...boring, anti climatic, and well, poor.

You know; typical Slott writing.

There's nothing for me to even really hate, roll my eyes at, or be disgusted at.

It's just over. Kind of like when you finish eating a bowl of plain Cheerios. Yup, you did it is all you can think. Big deal.

On to the next thing, I guess...

Jimmy T since 2001
Jimmy T
Global Moderator
HR Celestial

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 02:05:19 AM »

Oh wait, there's Amazing Spider-man 24, which is an epilogue issue, along with the Omega epilogue fallout issue.

Definitely happy I don't spend any money on this.

At least this wasn't as stupid as Spider-verse (which I actually skipped all of until the penultimate issues), but this was nothing great.

And can Slott not write a villain with a snarky quippy voice? I mean, they all act the same. It's really annoying. Hell, most of his final match up villains quip better than Spidey. The whole of the Jackal's production and plans are literally falling down around his head, and he can make jokes still. REALLY? C'mon Slott, that's just poor.

Jimmy T since 2001
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

B l a c k - R a i n V.2 by C r i p ~ Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines MySQL | PHP | XHTML | CSS